The Student Room Group

Cie igcse english literature (0486)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by mathphysics123
I am. Are you going to do the essay question or the passage?

I'm not sure yet it really depends on the essay question I've tried to learn quoted but at school we've basically only practiced passage what are you doing?
Original post by Vio1999
I'm not sure yet it really depends on the essay question I've tried to learn quoted but at school we've basically only practiced passage what are you doing?

im doing the essay question because i just can't do the passages, i don't have enough to say
Reply 42
Really? During wind and rain is my least favourite cos I have nothing to say about it. Any tips?
Reply 43
Original post by metellaest
To Marguerite:
To Marguerite is a poem that explores the human condition (isolation, essentially) through the structure of an extended metaphor (called a 'conceit' - but don't worry about that). The metaphor is that humans are individual islands, and that we are separated and there's no real connection between us anymore. The poem explores feelings of longing, regret, isolation, loneliness, detachment, desolation etc...
Some close analysis:
- Poem begins: 'Yes!' - epiphany - tone of sudden realisation
- 'echoing' - far away; empty; sense of desolation
- 'straits' - narrow or troublesome situation
- 'we mortal millions live alone' - juxtaposition between the collective pronoun of 'we' and the magnitude of 'millions' against the singularity 'alone'
- 'endless bounds' - oxymoron
- ‘starry nights...nightingales divinely sing...lovely notes’ - about the beauty we don’t recognise; romantic language brings a poignant feel
- 'we were / parts of a single continent' - enjambment reflects current broken-up state
- rhyme scheme: ABABCC - the rhyming couplet adds stress to the last two lines - there is a sense of it being cut off, isolated, just as the human condition is

Hope that helped?

thank you soooo much!!!!!!! This is realllyy helpful :smile:

also, how much should we write per essay (is 3-4 points enough like 2 sides?) and how should we divide our time between planning and writing it up?

thanks again :smile:
Reply 44
Does anyone know hot to analyse shall I compare thee? I've tried so many times and if it comes up I will probably cry I can only analyse one quote and the sonnet structure 😫😫
Original post by ndk123
thank you soooo much!!!!!!! This is realllyy helpful :smile:

also, how much should we write per essay (is 3-4 points enough like 2 sides?) and how should we divide our time between planning and writing it up?

thanks again :smile:

The recommendation is 4-5 points separated into fully explained paragraphs. Personally, I stick to four so that I have enough time to explain everything fully and then conclude.

The normal suggestion is to take about 5 minutes to plan (write your 'topic sentences', maybe jot down some quotes to include), which should leave you without about 40 mins to write.

Depending on your handwriting size, two sides is probably just enough, but mine gets larger as I get stressed so I tend to write a bit more...
Original post by Vio1999
Does anyone know hot to analyse shall I compare thee? I've tried so many times and if it comes up I will probably cry I can only analyse one quote and the sonnet structure 😫😫

I literally feel exactly the same! It's the only one where I really don't have much to say about it. I guess you can talk about the metaphor, the eternal nature of her beauty, the conclusive final statement, her perfection compared to the not 'temperate' sun, or how it 'dims' over but she doesn't fade...I don't really know, I'd much rather do one with way more to talk about...
Original post by TheBirder
Does anyone know what the usual grade boundaries are?
On some of my essays I've been getting 25/25 but I usually only get about 23/25 or 22/25 and I've been struggling a bit with the drama text and only get 18 - 20 /25. I really want to get an A* but I'm not sure if an average of about 20/25 for each of the four questions is good enough?

To revise I've just been making notes on the poems and doing loads of practice essays, probably about 15 - 20 by now and I write almost exactly 4 sides each time. My teacher also wrote over 100 practice questions and I've been doing some essay plans for them

you have to get 19/25 or more in every essay for an A and 23/25 or more in every essay for an A*
Original post by h_clarke
you have to get 19/25 or more in every essay for an A and 23/25 or more in every essay for an A*

I'm not sure that's completely true?

Those are the marks for the top band on the mark scheme, but as the difficulty of the questions and the ability of the students can vary, they can't set the boundaries so rigidly. Getting 23/25 on every essay would almost certainly secure you an A*, but I believe you can get a lot less and still get one.

I may be wrong but that's what I was led to believe.
I'm not sure that's completely true?

Those are the marks for the top band on the mark scheme, but as the difficulty of the questions and the ability of the students can vary, they can't set the boundaries so rigidly. Getting 23/25 on every essay would almost certainly secure you an A*, but I believe you can get a lot less and still get one.

I may be wrong but that's what I was led to believe.

thats what my teacher told me but he might have been saying that to push us to get 23 or more out of the essays. but if you got 25/25 you could then get 21/25 in another and still get an A*.
Reply 50
Original post by mathphysics123
im doing the essay question because i just can't do the passages, i don't have enough to say

Do you know if in the passage questions we can mention things outside the passage and events that happen that make some thing in prticular more effective and symbolic or do we have to constrain ourselves to just the passage?
I can't find any pass papers for 'spies' or 'an inspector calls' on the ice website
thats what my teacher told me but he might have been saying that to push us to get 23 or more out of the essays. but if you got 25/25 you could then get 21/25 in another and still get an A*.

I mean definitely aim for 23 + (I'm hoping for that at least in mine), I just think that that is definitely not the minimum to achieve an A*, as that equates to a 92% average, which is definitely not the normal grade boundary! My teacher always set that as ours (23) when marking, because she said that the real examiners mark a lot more harshly, and as a result the grade boundaries are significantly lower...

I found the grade thresholds for may/june 2014, of course they can change by +/- a few marks but I think this gives a good idea:
http://www.cie.org.uk/images/232433-literature-english-grade-thresholds-june-2014.pdf

It seems like you need around 70% to get an A* which is an average of 17.5/25 for each essay and for an A you just need 60% which is 15/25 for each essay.
Even if you add 10% to each grade boundary to be sure that's still only 20/25 for an A* and 17.5/25 for an A.
I can't find any pass papers for 'spies' or 'an inspector calls' on the ice website

I'm fairly sure (may be wrong though) that this is the first year that CIE have set 'Spies' as a IGCSE text. As a result, I think that is why there are no past papers. Maybe try practicing some essays on characters and themes (such as 'How does Frayn present the character of Keith in the novel spies' or 'how is the theme of imagination presented in the novel Spies' etc)

I don't do An Inspector Calls so I don't know about that
I mean definitely aim for 23 + (I'm hoping for that at least in mine), I just think that that is definitely not the minimum to achieve an A*, as that equates to a 92% average, which is definitely not the normal grade boundary! My teacher always set that as ours (23) when marking, because she said that the real examiners mark a lot more harshly, and as a result the grade boundaries are significantly lower...

oh for my mock though it was 90% for an A*, I just thought it was high for english literature.

I don't know about Spies since my prose is Jekyll and Hyde, but An Inspector Calls is new on the syllabus so there are none.
I'm fairly sure (may be wrong though) that this is the first year that CIE have set 'Spies' as a IGCSE text. As a result, I think that is why there are no past papers. Maybe try practicing some essays on characters and themes (such as 'How does Frayn present the character of Keith in the novel spies' or 'how is the theme of imagination presented in the novel Spies' etc)

I don't do An Inspector Calls so I don't know about that

thank you, do you do spies then?
thank you, do you do spies then?

Yep! And All My Sons. I'm currently learning quotes and making my way through some made-up questions by planning what my topic sentences for my four paragraphs would be...

Are you doing Poems Deep and Dangerous?
Original post by TheBirder
I don't know about Spies since my prose is Jekyll and Hyde, but An Inspector Calls is new on the syllabus so there are none.

oh great at least we are allowed the text for an inspector calls. thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending