The Student Room Group

Apparently my GCSE's are undesirable of uni's, is it true?

They are;
Maths
English-lit/lang
Core/double science
Re
Business studies
Health and social care
Sociology
French

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Misspinkypoop
They are;
Maths
English-lit/lang
Core/double science
Re
Business studies
Health and social care
Sociology
French

How are they undesirable the fact that you have 10GCSE should be appealing to universities
Reply 2
They are;
Maths
English-lit/lang
Core/double science
Re
Business studies
Health and social care
Sociology
French

totally not true.which kinda uni is it? i know a lot of people who have similar gcse's to yours.
Yeah.. I'm planning to study medicine at uni, in the future- apparently my GCSE's are kinda weak, non academic for instance there is no humanities eg; history which i regret not picking :angry: and health and social is a Cambridge nationals so it's coursework based- which uni's don't like and sociology and business are considered "Micky mouse" subjects.
Original post by geek567
totally not true.which kinda uni is it? i know a lot of people who have similar gcse's to yours.

Some like imperial, UCL, oxford and of course cambridge
Original post by LukeB98
No.

Added: If you're doing medicine get as many A*s and As. Otherwise they only care about A-levels and other non-academic abilities (aptitude).

Ok thanks what about work experience and what A Levels do you suggest- so im thinking about Biology, Chemistry, Physics and English literature
Business Studies is the 3rd most valuable GCSE you could get imo.(after English and Maths because they're the basics that everyone wants)
Business Studies gives you the knowledge and mindset you need to work in an actual business and manage your own finances. It also gives you some of the knowledge you need to start your own business if you want to go that route, so you have better prospects than most uni students.

If you did well in French, then you're at least almost bilingual. Every employer and university loves being able to tick off that they've got bilingual employees/students, because then you can represent them in two different languages.
Reply 7
The only one that stands out as dodgy is health and social care and thats if you weren't doing medicine.
Original post by Jazzyboy
Business Studies is the 3rd most valuable GCSE you could get imo.(after English and Maths because they're the basics that everyone wants)
Business Studies gives you the knowledge and mindset you need to work in an actual business and manage your own finances. It also gives you some of the knowledge you need to start your own business if you want to go that route, so you have better prospects than most uni students.

If you did well in French, then you're at least almost bilingual. Every employer and university loves being able to tick off that they've got bilingual employees/students, because then you can represent them in two different languages.

Thank you so much and all this time i was literally kicking myself for picking business instead of say geography or history
Original post by Thomb
The only one that stands out as dodgy is health and social care and thats if you weren't doing medicine.

Why.. Going back to year 9 picking my subjects i was thinking health and social- medicine were practically the same just that health and social was more basic as we only learnt advanced first aid.
Yeah.. I'm planning to study medicine at uni, in the future- apparently my GCSE's are kinda weak, non academic for instance there is no humanities eg; history which i regret not picking :angry: and health and social is a Cambridge nationals so it's coursework based- which uni's don't like and sociology and business are considered "Micky mouse" subjects.

Your biggest limitation will be not having triple science. Is there any way at all you can change to a triple course, or have you already started / completed them?
Original post by TattyBoJangles
Your biggest limitation will be not having triple science. Is there any way at all you can change to a triple course, or have you already started / completed them?

No i'm doing my GCSE's now and even if i wasn't the teachers picked "select students" to do triple science.
Reply 12
Why.. Going back to year 9 picking my subjects i was thinking health and social- medicine were practically the same just that health and social was more basic as we only learnt advanced first aid.

That's what I mean - you're doing medicine so it's fine.
Original post by Thomb
That's what I mean - you're doing medicine so it's fine.

Ok thanks because i was told unis really don't like health and social - so you think there's nothing to worry about?
No i'm doing my GCSE's now and even if i wasn't the teachers picked "select students" to do triple science.

Ah, bummer. In that case, just get the best you can in the subjects you're doing. If you do well in them, you might not be held back too much. The subjects themselves a a bit 'meh' - so when you come to applying, look closely at the requirements for each uni.

Not having triple science won't be a barrier to applying, by the way - I was just asking because triple science will make the transition to A-Levels a bit smoother.
well you aint getting an EBacc without history bruv

business studies aint rated so its dead but thats only at a level. health and social care sounds like some BTEC gcse
Reply 16
Ok thanks because i was told unis really don't like health and social - so you think there's nothing to worry about?

No theres nothing to worry about you've got a good set of GCSE's there.
Original post by TattyBoJangles
Ah, bummer. In that case, just get the best you can in the subjects you're doing. If you do well in them, you might not be held back too much. The subjects themselves a a bit 'meh' - so when you come to applying, look closely at the requirements for each uni.

Not having triple science won't be a barrier to applying, by the way - I was just asking because triple science will make the transition to A-Levels a bit smoother.

What do you mean by 'meh'?
Original post by roadmanchasin£££
well you aint getting an EBacc without history bruv

business studies aint rated so its dead but thats only at a level. health and social care sounds like some BTEC gcse

Whats wrong with BTEC and whats an EBacc got to do with medicine??
What do you mean by 'meh'?

Well you've said it yourself, they aren't the most 'academic'. However, loads of people don't know what they want to do when they choose their GCSEs and if you do well in them, as I've said, I doubt hold you back. Just choose the right A-Levels and apply to unis that play to your strengths.

Quick Reply

Latest