The Student Room Group

Apparently my GCSE's are undesirable of uni's, is it true?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TattyBoJangles
Well you've said it yourself, they aren't the most 'academic'. However, loads of people don't know what they want to do when they choose their GCSEs and if you do well in them, as I've said, I doubt hold you back. Just choose the right A-Levels and apply to unis that play to your strengths.

Ok thanks!
Reply 21
Uni's care about GCSEs? Just pick the right A Levels and ace them.
Original post by Misspinkypoop
Whats wrong with BTEC and whats an EBacc got to do with medicine??

Most my bredrin do BTECs, but they dumb as hell.

EBacc is like some performance measure not a qualification, but it shows that you got a good range of GCSEs.
Original post by Welkom
Uni's care about GCSEs? Just pick the right A Levels and ace them.

Yea- some uni's consider them part of the application process to distinguish applicants
Ok thanks what about work experience and what A Levels do you suggest- so im thinking about Biology, Chemistry, Physics and English literature

Many people find Physics quite difficult and unnecessary; unless you really like Physics, I'd suggest picking something else (either Maths if you're strong at it, or another traditional subject if you aren't).

It isn't useful for Medicine
I'd work on your apostrophe placements before worrying about GCSEs.
Original post by roadmanchasin£££
Most my bredrin do BTECs, but they dumb as hell.

EBacc is like some performance measure not a qualification, but it shows that you got a good range of GCSEs.

Thanks didn't know that
No i'm doing my GCSE's now and even if i wasn't the teachers picked "select students" to do triple science.

It's really stupid that the system works like that. Students should be allowed to choose to do triple science if we think we can do it. You might be able to appeal to your teacher if you think you can manage triple science. I wish I'd tried harder because I know I could have aced triple science if I was allowed to try. In the end, I lost all motivation to even try with Science because of that.(I only got a B in Core and Additional)
They are;
Maths
English-lit/lang
Core/double science
Re
Business studies
Health and social care
Sociology
French

Universities really won't care about which subjects you do for GCSE - they just care, especially as you're planning to do medicine, what grades you get; try and get as many A*s as possible. Universities will really care about your choice of A level subjects, but as long as your GCSEs let you pick suitable A levels, it'll be fine. For example, one of my friends got four medicine offers, including one from Cambridge - and he did GCSE DT, which isn't exactly the most academic of subjects. Another friend is also going to Cambridge, for Natural Sciences, and he did a GCSE in a DT-like subject, and both did GCSE ICT. So essentially, your choice of GCSE subjects doesn't matter at all. Only the grades will matter.
Original post by GlassyMarbles
I'd work on your apostrophe placements before worrying about GCSEs.

Yea about that, i've been told before i need to improve. Trust me i'm very well aware about my eer grammar issue's
Original post by doctorwhofan98
Universities really won't care about which subjects you do for GCSE - they just care, especially as you're planning to do medicine, what grades you get; try and get as many A*s as possible. Universities will really care about your choice of A level subjects, but as long as your GCSEs let you pick suitable A levels, it'll be fine. For example, one of my friends got four medicine offers, including one from Cambridge - and he did GCSE DT, which isn't exactly the most academic of subjects. Another friend is also going to Cambridge, for Natural Sciences, and he did a GCSE in a DT-like subject, and both did GCSE ICT. So essentially, your choice of GCSE subjects doesn't matter at all. Only the grades will matter.

Thank you for the advice, i'll try.
Original post by Jazzyboy
It's really stupid that the system works like that. Students should be allowed to choose to do triple science if we think we can do it. You might be able to appeal to your teacher if you think you can manage triple science. I wish I'd tried harder because I know I could have aced triple science if I was allowed to try. In the end, I lost all motivation to even try with Science because of that.(I only got a B in Core and Additional)

Nope i tried too late now though

Nope i tried too late now though. Hey a B is still good, What are you doing now though
Business Studies is the 3rd most valuable GCSE you could get imo.(after English and Maths because they're the basics that everyone wants)
Business Studies gives you the knowledge and mindset you need to work in an actual business and manage your own finances. It also gives you some of the knowledge you need to start your own business if you want to go that route, so you have better prospects than most uni students.

If you did well in French, then you're at least almost bilingual. Every employer and university loves being able to tick off that they've got bilingual employees/students, because then you can represent them in two different languages.

That business studies stuff is bs. Gcse sciences are more useful than a2 business never mind gcse business
Reply 34
Original post by zXcodeXz
How are they undesirable the fact that you have 10GCSE should be appealing to universities

I got into uni with 9.
Original post by gwagon
I got into uni with 9.

Exactly I can only get 9 aswell this year, so what university would reject someone with 10GCSE's?
Original post by gwagon
I got into uni with 9.

Really, what are you studying
Reply 37
Original post by zXcodeXz
Exactly I can only get 9 aswell this year, so what university would reject someone with 10GCSE's?

They would be more worried about the grades than the number of GCSEs you took.
Reply 38
Really, what are you studying

Econ at UCL.
Original post by gwagon
They would be more worried about the grades than the number of GCSEs you took.

Yeah that's so true

Quick Reply

Latest