The Student Room Group

Should 16 year olds have been given a vote in the EU referendum?

A lot of the younger generation are probably more pro-EU than older people. I think 16 and 17 year olds should have been allowed to vote as they're sufficiently informed enough to understand the politics and issues.

They were allowed to vote in the Scottish referendum.

If they were allowed to vote in the EU referendum the result could be quite different with more 'remain in' votes. Do you agree?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ambitious1999
A lot of the younger generation are probably more pro-EU than older people. I think 16 and 17 year olds should have been allowed to vote as they're sufficiently informed enough to understand the politics and issues.

They were allowed to vote in the Scottish referendum.

If they were allowed to vote in the EU referendum the result could be quite different with more 'remain in' votes. Do you agree?

Many adults are still uncertain which way to vote as the complexity of the topic. While some 16 and 17 year old's may be capable of forming a sensible and informed opinion, many can not. Thus giving them the vote is quite dangerous I believe.
Original post by ThatDoesntTickle
Many adults are still uncertain which way to vote as the complexity of the topic. While some 16 and 17 year old's may be capable of forming a sensible and informed opinion, many can not. Thus giving them the vote is quite dangerous I believe.

Let's be realistic - many (most) people in the country aren't capable of forming a sensible and informed opinion. It's just too complex. We shouldn't be having a referendum. A few more voters that don't know what they're talking about won't make a difference.
Original post by JordanL_
Let's be realistic - many (most) people in the country aren't capable of forming a sensible and informed opinion. It's just too complex. We shouldn't be having a referendum. A few more voters that don't know what they're talking about won't make a difference.

How I see it, we should just give the referendum vote to those who actually vote for MEP's, after all the other members of the public have shown know interest in the politics of the EU previously. And a few voters is all it takes to swing a close referendum, as can be seen in the Scottish Referendum.
Reply 4
Have you ever met 16-17YOs? They're about as informed as my left foot.
Most definitely not.
Scarcely enough adults can be considered intelligent enough to form any kind of reasonable opinion.

If you need any evidence that even voting age uni students are clinically selfish and misinformed, try reading any of the EU articles on the Tab - "I won't get to study abroad and get paid to have a holiday oh noooo" [For reference, entirely false. And selfish.]

They shouldn't have in Scotland, problem was they only did because yappy dog kept harping on, hoping they'd vote out.
From the sounds of it, you're attempting to also skew the results by hoping they're all in.
Reply 5
As a 17 year old, I'd say giving us the opportunity to vote would be stupid. :K:
Don't give us the vote, so then we can blame all the adults for messing our future up :sexface:
Original post by Mayhem™
Don't give us the vote, so then we can blame all the adults for messing our future up :sexface:

Good idea!!
How I see it, we should just give the referendum vote to those who actually vote for MEP's, after all the other members of the public have shown know interest in the politics of the EU previously. And a few voters is all it takes to swing a close referendum, as can be seen in the Scottish Referendum.

But I thought that MEPs were unelected (that's how we ended up with Farage as ours who as we all know is very much in favour of Brexit)?
I think we should've been given a vote! It's our future too and is being dictated by everyone else whilst we don't have a say in it at all.
Original post by sophieebarber
I think we should've been given a vote! It's our future too and is being dictated by everyone else whilst we don't have a say in it at all.

I think it would be great to give at least 17 year olds the vote as we're in college so are very mature and politically informed enough on this matter
Original post by greghayes
But I thought that MEPs were unelected (that's how we ended up with Farage as ours who as we all know is very much in favour of Brexit)?

We elect 73 MEP's, 22 of which are elected UKIP MEP's.
We elect 73 MEP's, 22 of which are elected UKIP MEP's.

Genuinely didn't know that. Our college had a debate on this ages ago and the politics teacher got very, well, steamed up and started ranting about these "unelected MEPs" so I just thought that was the case. Kinda glad I didn't take politics if she doesn't even know the basics of elections...
Genuinely didn't know that. Our college had a debate on this ages ago and the politics teacher got very, well, steamed up and started ranting about these "unelected MEPs" so I just thought that was the case. Kinda glad I didn't take politics if she doesn't even know the basics of elections...

The commissioners in the EU are elected, maybe he/she was making reference to them?
Reply 14
No, we need a lower age cut-off and the point of being an adult at 18 seems the most logical.
Even though, I am 16 I wouldn't be able to vote even if 16 yr olds got the vote. Anyway I don't think they should as when we discussed the EU referendum in school most people were just saying my parents think this and I agree with them. I think most of them would just vote exactly the same as their parents.
Original post by niv1234
Even though, I am 16 I wouldn't be able to vote even if 16 yr olds got the vote. Anyway I don't think they should as when we discussed the EU referendum in school most people were just saying my parents think this and I agree with them. I think most of them would just vote exactly the same as their parents.

This doesn't change. Most of their parents vote whichever way their parents voted too.
I think it would be great to give at least 17 year olds the vote as we're in college so are very mature and politically informed enough on this matter

The problem is, while some are mature and capable enough of voting, we all know that some, are not.
Reply 18

UKIP received 33% of the vote at the last European elections, more than any other party.

We ended up with Farage as we voted him in to demonstrate our disapproval of the EU.
Original post by Inazuma

If you need any evidence that even voting age uni students are clinically selfish and misinformed, try reading any of the EU articles on the Tab - "I won't get to study abroad and get paid to have a holiday oh noooo" [For reference, entirely false. And selfish.]

LOL I love this, so true - or yet another "Tory skum mek us pay ridiculous 9k a year" blah blah blah self entitlement student-centric world view of things.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending