The Student Room Group

Possible AQA Literature Questions?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Chittesh14
June 2015, Q17: Arthur Birling describes himself as ‘a hard-headed, practical man of business’. How does Priestley present this and other views of Arthur Birling in An Inspector Calls?

June 2014, Q17: How does Priestley present ideas about gender in An Inspector Calls?

Tbh, no questions in particular - just once I understand how to write it in a paragraph, it should be fine :P.

You both can switch each others questions I don't mind tbh - you can answer whichever one you like :smile:.

I think Gerald might be the best one as he is one of the most likely to come up. So when I write paragraphs I have a checklist of sort. You can't always do everything but using the majority all of the time is almost a guaranteed A*. Your point, with an adjective to encapsulate one view. Embed a quotation or stage direction. Close language analysis to look at meanings of the word, with more than one meaning to hit that evaluation criteria on the marks scheme. Then effect on the audience, and why Priestley has done this. This usually links to context. Then finally tie it all up neatly with a link back to the question.

So Gerald !
Point- Gerald is presented by Priestley to exploit Eva Smith for his own selfish needs.
Embed a quotation- When Gerald realises Eva is "actually hungry", the Inspector comments that it was only "then" that he "decided to keep her"
Explain- On one hand, this suggests that Gerald is simply ignorant and does not feel the need to intervene unless absolutely necessary. However, the audience may also interpret this as Gerald's sudden realisation that through her "hunger", Eva is vulnerable and entirely desperate. Therefore, if Gerald wanted to exploit her, Eva would not be in any position to refuse. This idea of exploitation is reinforced by the word "keep" . It implies Gerald perceived Eva to be his possession and therefore of little value to him. The audience subsequently would distrust Gerald and Priestley's purpose of this is to reveal the exploitation of the upper classes and to shame them into changing their ways.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks, can you just pick out a question from 'An Inspector Calls' past paper and just answer it for me please - only 1 paragraph or more if you wish :P.

I've just read the play, I know so lazy with no preperation and exam is tomorrow! I understand some parts and getting to know the themes, I'm just unsure how to write it in a paragraph now tbh lol

Yeah sure let me write it real quick and I'm dm you :smile:
Original post by ainemcn
An Inspector Calls: Sybil Birling or Gerald- Arthur Birling (last time he came up: 2015), Eva (2014) Eric (2013), The Inspector (2012), Sheila (2011)

My teacher has a feeling about a theme question on moral responsibility?

Has Sybil Birling not been asked about before?
Original post by elliemayanne
x

Thank you so much :smile:.

So, its crucial to add Priestley's purpose for each paragraph you make and its effect on the audience?
What if you are answering an essay question, and Priestley's purpose is basically the same for all three paragraphs that you are writing about - do you phrase them in different ways?

Lastly, how many paragraphs do you think I should write for an AIC exam question? If a paragraph was the length you just wrote, how many should I aim to write?
Thank you so much :smile:.

So, its crucial to add Priestley's purpose for each paragraph you make and its effect on the audience?
What if you are answering an essay question, and Priestley's purpose is basically the same for all three paragraphs that you are writing about - do you phrase them in different ways?

Lastly, how many paragraphs do you think I should write for an AIC exam question? If a paragraph was the length you just wrote, how many should I aim to write?

Always include Priestley's purpose it is the key to a/a* . I would really recommend you watch Mr Salles Teaches English on YouTube . Normally you should write 5/6 paragraphs however with this much detail 4 is enough.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 25
Original post by cbuch1800
I was wondering if anyone had a list or some suggestions for themes/practice questions that might come up in either of the AQA English Literature papers. I want to do some practice essays but i don't really see the point in past papers for English Lit as these will likely not come up. The texts I'm doing are An Inspector calls and Of Mice and Men, and the cluster I am doing in Conflict.

Okay so for poetry, Flag, The right word and The falling leaves have all never come up. (I've looked back as far as 2011) so these are possibilities. In 2011, the questions were : 'Compare how poets present the effects of conflict in ‘Belfast Confetti’ (page 40) and oneother poem from Conflict.' or 'Compare how poets present the experience of soldiers in ‘Bayonet Charge’ (page 44)and one other poem from Conflict.' So this could come up too. Although, Bayonet charge came up last year so it probably won't. For OMAM, I suspect it will be on either Candy or Curley and the theme on society or life in America. For AIC, I think either Sheila or the Inspector will come up. The theme of age hasn't come up so this could be worth revising. Also responsibility and contrast. Hope this is helpful :smile:
Reply 26
My teachers seem to think for AIC it will be either Eric or Gerald

I hope it isn't. That would be so hard to write about. I'm hoping that the Inspector will come up
Reply 27
Original post by RosieB1717
Gerald hasn't come up
Sheila hasn't since 2012

Curley hasn't come up
Curley's wife's death hasn't either

Gerald came up in JAN 2012. The question was 'How do you respond to Gerald in ‘An Inspector Calls’? How does Priestley make yourespond as you do by the ways he writes?'
Always include Priestley's purpose it is the key to a/a* . I would really recommend you watch Mr Salles Teaches English on YouTube . Normally you should write 5/6 paragraphs however with this much detail 4 is enough.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply