The Student Room Group

AQA AS English Language - 23rd May 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by belzwantswood
Our teacher says to do FAP (heh) in the introduction:
FORM - is it a newspaper? a twitter feed?
AUDIENCE - who is the target audience?
PURPOSE - what is its primary/secondary purpose?

You can then refer to these three things throughout the text - remember you have to link back to representation! (it's the keyword of the question)

E.g Person A uses [this grammatical feature you have just explained] to represent themself as similiar to their audience

E.g Person B uses [phonology in way you have just explained] to fulfil their secondary purpose of entertaining the reader, and to represent themself as amusing and charming.

Use a PEE structure -
Point (outline what you are about to say e.g "Person A appeals to their audience through use of grammar)
Evidence (talk about their use of grammar, e.g "the use of elision in the verb "gonna":wink:
Explain (explain how it links back to representation e.g "this represents person A has cool, casual and relaxed)

You could go even further and explain how that links to their audience / primary / secondary purpose.

The best points to go for are grammar, lexis/semantics or phonology. Those will get you the best marks!!

Message me if you need further help :smile:

Hi! I was just wondering if you had any tips for question 3 and the comparison part of the paper? I'm trying to get some last minute revision in so hopefully you see this before tomorrow! lol
Any Predictions?
The texts i think will all be based on technology (twitter or mumsnet page)
how can you talk about phonology?
Original post by gfdgdgdfg
Any Predictions?
The texts i think will all be based on technology (twitter or mumsnet page)
how can you talk about phonology?

If it is about twitter you can say about character limit, the option of an image to make your account more personal and also the news feed. These are all examples of graphology I believe! Hope I helped :smile:
How many points do i compare and contrast for the last question which asks about the similarities and differences between two texts, also how do you analyse forums i find it difficult to look out for things to comment on?
Original post by revision1
How many points do i compare and contrast for the last question which asks about the similarities and differences between two texts, also how do you analyse forums i find it difficult to look out for things to comment on?

i do 2 for each (2 similarities, 2 differences) :smile:
Original post by revision1

I find forums easier! You would just talk about sentence structure i.e. usually more simple sentences due to the context of the website; to exchange ideas quickly and briefly, it's often informal and uses non-grammatical features and colloquialism/slang too. Hope that helps!
Original post by 10studentlife
I find forums easier! You would just talk about sentence structure i.e. usually more simple sentences due to the context of the website; to exchange ideas quickly and briefly, it's often informal and uses non-grammatical features and colloquialism/slang too. Hope that helps!

Thank you soo much it helped a lot :h:
Original post by harry998
Paper 1 (Monday) will have two texts (adverts, articles, posters) and you have to analyse the language levels used for both texts and then compare them

"adverts, articles, posters"? That's not on the anthology. It'll just be two to compare from the book, then a pastiche based off one/two and a random piece if else, no?
Original post by ThatGooner
"adverts, articles, posters"? That's not on the anthology. It'll just be two to compare from the book, then a pastiche based off one/two and a random piece if else, no?

From the book?
From the book?

Are we doing the same thing? Y'know the Anthology texts, like the diaries, speeches and other pieces.
Original post by ThatGooner
Are we doing the same thing? Y'know the Anthology texts, like the diaries, speeches and other pieces.

i'm guessing not :/
Nooo? I don't have a book we've been doing? Tomorrow I'll have two texts (adverts or whatever) and I'll analyse them and compare...
Original post by harry998
Nooo? I don't have a book we've been doing? Tomorrow I'll have two texts (adverts or whatever) and I'll analyse them and compare...

Same here
Is this ENGB1 Categorising texts?

I'm resisting so no idea if this is the same paper?
Original post by Excuse Me!

Its called textual representations and meanings?
i'm guessing not :/

wrong discussion haha, sorry to bother lol
Reply 56
I'm really not looking forward to this.

Struggle with phonology a lot. Anyone else just spend most of the essay discussing graphology?
Original post by Excuse Me!

Hey i'm re-sitting categorising texts too. Here they are talking about a different paper - the new AQA specification. But we are doing our resit at the same time as the AS students are doing the new AS AQA English exam (tomorrow - mon 23rd). Our paper is still AQA B but it's the old specification if that makes sense!
Original post by Helfus
I'm really not looking forward to this.

Struggle with phonology a lot. Anyone else just spend most of the essay discussing graphology?

Barely... Only a small paragraph, it's really not that relevant. What even is phonology?
Original post by JonesyA0
Hey i'm re-sitting categorising texts too. Here they are talking about a different paper - the new AQA specification. But we are doing our resit at the same time as the AS students are doing the new AS AQA English exam (tomorrow - mon 23rd). Our paper is still AQA B but it's the old specification if that makes sense!

Yh thought they had a new spec but was confused as it was the same time and day! Thanks

Is there a thread for our exam?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending