The Student Room Group

How to do I this disgusting partial derivative?

[yi+xj)x2+y2  [\frac{-yi+xj)}{x^2 + y^2} \ \
ok, so no more latex for you guys, blame my lack of experience as well as the awful implementation of it on this site, never had such difficulty with it before this site, joke!!!

frac{-y} {x^2 + y^2}\) + frac{x} {x^2 + y^2}

side note, this is the worst site in the world for latex!!!!!!!!!!!

product rule followed by chain rule here I think, but to be honest I don't recall having to do something quite as complicated as this in a long time, so I need some guidance.

First attempt, I got rid of the denominator by making it y(x2+y2)1-y(x^2 + y^2)^{-1}, I then made this (yx2+y3)1-(yx^2 + y^3)^{-1} and use chain rule to give 2x+3y2(x2+y2)22x+3y^2(x^2 + y^2)^{-2}(cba fixing inside bracket, waste of time) this is so very wrong (though I don't see why I can't multiply out the bracket and use the chain rule, ie avoid the product rule!).

Then I tried product rule first, though this is giving me a massive headache!

****ing chirst what a mess!!!!
(edited 7 years ago)
what a waste of time this was!
one massively important note I forgot to add in, this is vector calculus, the i term is -y and the j term is x, hence when finding the directional derivative, it becomes the partial der. wrt x of the i term + the partial der. wrt y of the j term.
admitting defeat on this colossal mess, going to use the quotiant rule (shiver) instead.

If anyone sees this, could you please explain how I would use a combination of the chain and product rule to solve the two partial derivatives that come about when I try to work out the divergence??
man got aired
Original post by Et Tu, Brute?
ok, so no more latex for you guys, blame my lack of experience as well as the awful implementation of it on this site, never had such difficulty with it before this site, joke!!!

product rule followed by chain rule here I think, but to be honest I don't recall having to do something quite as complicated as this in a long time, so I need some guidance.

First attempt, I got rid of the denominator by making it y(x2+y2)1-y(x^2 + y^2)^{-1}, I then made this (yx2+y3)1-(yx^2 + y^3)^{-1} and use chain rule to give 2x+3y2(x2+y2)22x+3y^2(x^2 + y^2)^{-2}(cba fixing inside bracket, waste of time) this is so very wrong (though I don't see why I can't multiply out the bracket and use the chain rule, ie avoid the product rule!).

y(x2+y2)1(yx2+y3)1-y(x^2 + y^2)^{-1}\not=-(yx^2 + y^3)^{-1} because of the -1 exponent.

Rather y(x2+y2)1=(x2y+y)1-y(x^2 + y^2)^{-1}=-(\frac{x^2}{y} + y)^{-1} which is not terrribly helpful.

I'd go with the just the chain rule - remember y is treated as a constant:

x(y(x2+y2)1)\displaystyle\frac{\partial }{\partial x}\left(-y(x^2 + y^2)^{-1}\right)

=(y)(1)(2x)(x2+y2)2=(-y)(-1)(2x)(x^2 + y^2)^{-2}

=2xy(x2+y2)2=2xy(x^2 + y^2)^{-2}
Original post by ghostwalker
y(x2+y2)1(yx2+y3)1-y(x^2 + y^2)^{-1}\not=-(yx^2 + y^3)^{-1} because of the -1 exponent.

Rather y(x2+y2)1=(x2y+y)1-y(x^2 + y^2)^{-1}=-(\frac{x^2}{y} + y)^{-1} which is not terrribly helpful.

I'd go with the just the chain rule - remember y is treated as a constant:

x(y(x2+y2)1)\displaystyle\frac{\partial }{\partial x}\left(-y(x^2 + y^2)^{-1}\right)

=(y)(1)(2x)(x2+y2)2=(-y)(-1)(2x)(x^2 + y^2)^{-2}

=2xy(x2+y2)2=2xy(x^2 + y^2)^{-2}

ok, so this even more annoying, as I had this initially, however, the answer has no [x^2 + y^2]^2 denominator!

they have:

Unparseable latex formula:

\frac{2xy}{(x^2 + y^2)} - \[frac{2xy}{(x^2 + y^2)}

(edited 7 years ago)
ok, so this even more annoying, as I had this initially, however, the answer has no [x^2 + y^2]^2 denominator!

they have:

Unparseable latex formula:

\frac{2xy}{(x^2 + y^2)} - \[frac{2xy}{(x^2 + y^2)}

I don't claim any proficiency in vector calculus, but if all they're doing is taking the partial derivative wrt x, then I would say "they" are in error.

Edit: Your post is changing again. I'll await the final version.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ghostwalker
I don't claim any proficiency in vector calculus, but if all they're doing is taking the partial derivative wrt x, then I would say "they" are in error.

Edit: Your post is changing again. I'll await the final version.

yes, after getting div u it is nothing more than normal partials after that as it is no longer a vector.

Partial wrt x of the -y/a and partial wrt y of x/a, where a = x^2+y^2 (just for clarity here)

So 100%, the denominator becomes (x^2+y^2)^2 ???

The answer is actually zero, as I'm sure you might have noticed, so they've maybe got caught up in that and forgot to include the ^2 in the denominator maybe.

So 100%, the denominator becomes (x^2+y^2)^2 ???

Yes. Doing it via the quotient rule yields the same result.

And here's [url=
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=partial+deritivative+-y%2F%28x^2%2By^2%29++wrt+x]Wolfram's attempt.

So we have a vector

(y(x2+y2)1,x(x2+y2)1,0) (-y(x^2 + y^2)^{-1}, x(x^2 + y^2)^{-1}, 0)

.(y(x2+y2)1,x(x2+y2)1,0)=x(y(x2+y2)1)+y(x(x2+y2)1)\bigtriangledown .(-y(x^2 + y^2)^{-1}, x(x^2 + y^2)^{-1}, 0) = \frac{\partial}{\partial x}(-y(x^2 + y^2)^{-1}) + \frac{\partial}{\partial y} (x(x^2 + y^2)^{-1})

and it becomes a pretty simple example of the chain rule. Spoilertagged a hint.

Spoiler

Original post by natninja
So we have a vector

(y(x2+y2)1,x(x2+y2)1,0) (-y(x^2 + y^2)^{-1}, x(x^2 + y^2)^{-1}, 0)

.(y(x2+y2)1,x(x2+y2)1,0)=x(y(x2+y2)1)+y(x(x2+y2)1)\bigtriangledown .(-y(x^2 + y^2)^{-1}, x(x^2 + y^2)^{-1}, 0) = \frac{\partial}{\partial x}(-y(x^2 + y^2)^{-1}) + \frac{\partial}{\partial y} (x(x^2 + y^2)^{-1})

and it becomes a pretty simple example of the chain rule. Spoilertagged a hint.

Spoiler

yeah I did this initially and ended up with the correct answer, though they have the incorrect answer in the answer sheet, hence why I ended up trying to do other stuff. Should have just trusted myself and wolfram alpha'd it before to double check.

thanks for the help, sorry for wasting time

Quick Reply

Latest