The Student Room Group

OCR Physics A Breadth of Physics (24th May 2016) Discussion

Scroll to see replies

Original post by violavenisis
Probably electricity (in particular- voltage when shared over components, I often struggle with interpreting circuits) or mechanics questions involving angles. I just can't seem to wrap my head around them.

Well with voltages/p.ds. if they ask you to find a pd of a circuit in a closed loop always go to kirchoffs laws first if that doesnt work. Find the current around the whole circuit and if you know the resistance you can work out the pd.

I find the mechanics side of Physics so interesting which is why i am stronger at it. If it asks you to find the tension or something and you have 2 othet forces always draw a triangular of forces diagram it makes it so much easier. After that you can use the sin or cosine rule.

My hardest topic would probably be waves 2 in the book. I still need to go over it one more time.
Original post by mahmzo
Well with voltages/p.ds. if they ask you to find a pd of a circuit in a closed loop always go to kirchoffs laws first if that doesnt work. Find the current around the whole circuit and if you know the resistance you can work out the pd.

I find the mechanics side of Physics so interesting which is why i am stronger at it. If it asks you to find the tension or something and you have 2 othet forces always draw a triangular of forces diagram it makes it so much easier. After that you can use the sin or cosine rule.

My hardest topic would probably be waves 2 in the book. I still need to go over it one more time.

Ah right thank you- yeah I think its just a case of remembering that I have the knowledge, I just need to apply it correctly, especially with circuits.

Would you recommend the end of chapter practice exam Qs to practice some of the mechanics stuff? I feel like that's the only way I'm going to crack that side of physics.

See I think I'm the opposite- I find all the waves and quantum stuff really interesting (especially the work of De Broglie's equation!!), so that stuff kind of just sticks. Although, there are certain bits with phase/path difference that are a bit confusing at times..
Ah right thank you- yeah I think its just a case of remembering that I have the knowledge, I just need to apply it correctly, especially with circuits.

Would you recommend the end of chapter practice exam Qs to practice some of the mechanics stuff? I feel like that's the only way I'm going to crack that side of physics.

See I think I'm the opposite- I find all the waves and quantum stuff really interesting (especially the work of De Broglie's equation!!), so that stuff kind of just sticks. Although, there are certain bits with phase/path difference that are a bit confusing at times..

I'd recommend you look at the revision list to see what you do and don't know and cover it as much as possible - then do as many questions as possible on those topics to cover your weak areas.
Original post by Marxist
I'd recommend you look at the revision list to see what you do and don't know and cover it as much as possible - then do as many questions as possible on those topics to cover your weak areas.

By revision list do you mean the checklist that was posted in this thread?
Reply 104
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Byy0joJp_zfMSUJmTjVpcFpYME0/view?pref=2&pli=1

Someone posted this on a physics YouTube video, its a document with over 1000 multiple choice questions on! Not all of them will be relevant but they seem quite useful, it could be good practice to have a go at a few before Tuesday :smile:
By revision list do you mean the checklist that was posted in this thread?

:yep:
Original post by voltz
I made a thread of the practical methods for the exam, feel free to check it out and contribute:smile:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4100393

Very, very important - will add to the thread!
Original post by Abeh
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Byy0joJp_zfMSUJmTjVpcFpYME0/view?pref=2&pli=1

Someone posted this on a physics YouTube video, its a document with over 1000 multiple choice questions on! Not all of them will be relevant but they seem quite useful, it could be good practice to have a go at a few before Tuesday :smile:

Amazing mate! :smile:
I'd appreciate it if someone could send me PDF versions of the locked practice papers and the mark schemes.

I have done the papers (can prove over PM if you don't believe me) but our set never finished going through the depth paper and now we're on study leave so I'm kinda stuck.

thanks!
Original post by HassanMirza
I'd appreciate it if someone could send me PDF versions of the locked practice papers and the mark schemes.

I have done the papers (can prove over PM if you don't believe me) but our set never finished going through the depth paper and now we're on study leave so I'm kinda stuck.

thanks!

Just posted.
Original post by Infinity999
Just posted.

Thank you very much!
Reply 111
Does this exam even matter? I heard as this is a stand-alone AS now that OCR won't even UMS these exams and just give us a raw score in the summer because not everyone in the country is sitting it, so there is no need to moderate the marks. That being said, how are they going to set grade boundaries? Also, will this exam go on our record?
A few quick questions....

Is rounding our answers important? For example, to a question answer on a practise question, i put the exact answer to 75 x 9.81 (735.75) but marksheme said it should be 736 or 740 depending on how many SF calculated to. So would I still get the mark for putting 135.75? Stupid question but i don't want to lose any easy marks!

If theres a group chat, can I be added please?

Can someone also send me the locked practise paper please?
Original post by matt1306
A few quick questions....

Is rounding our answers important? For example, to a question answer on a practise question, i put the exact answer to 75 x 9.81 (735.75) but marksheme said it should be 736 or 740 depending on how many SF calculated to. So would I still get the mark for putting 135.75? Stupid question but i don't want to lose any easy marks!

If theres a group chat, can I be added please?

Can someone also send me the locked practise paper please?

Rounding your answers is definitely important- as a standard rule you should round to the lowest number of sig. figs given in the question. For example, if you were trying to calculate velocity and were given t=1.45s and s=23m, then you'd give your answer to 2 significant figures (as displacement is quoted to two s.f.)

Honestly, it depends how many marks the question is, but you can and will definitely lose marks for not rounding to a decent number of significant figures.

Also, whilst people are being added, please could I be added to the group chat as well?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Doooo
Does this exam even matter? I heard as this is a stand-alone AS now that OCR won't even UMS these exams and just give us a raw score in the summer because not everyone in the country is sitting it, so there is no need to moderate the marks. That being said, how are they going to set grade boundaries? Also, will this exam go on our record?

The exam is essentially a mock, but it will be used as predicted grade for when you apply to uni.
I am making a new GC. PM Me your Numbers.
Rounding your answers is definitely important- as a standard rule you should round to the lowest number of sig. figs given in the question. For example, if you were trying to calculate velocity and were given t=1.45s and s=23m, then you'd give your answer to 2 significant figures (as displacement is quoted to two s.f.)

Honestly, it depends how many marks the question is, but you can and will definitely lose marks for not rounding to a decent number of significant figures.

Also, whilst people are being added, please could I be added to the group chat as well?

Thank you for your help :smile: Seems really harsh that we lose marks for being extra accurate but there we go!

PM me your number. I am creating a new groupchat
Original post by Marxist
The exam is essentially a mock, but it will be used as predicted grade for when you apply to uni.

It's a real AS level exam. It might not contribute to your final A level grade, but if you don't continue the course into Y13 this will produce a real, official qualification. Of course it will be moderated, UMS'd and properly graded.
Original post by cowenphysics
It's a real AS level exam. It might not contribute to your final A level grade, but if you don't continue the course into Y13 this will produce a real, official qualification. Of course it will be moderated, UMS'd and properly graded.

So to finalise. The exam wont be any more difficult then the previous spec? Obviously there will be tough questions to target those achieving an A but other than that should it be the same?

Quick Reply

Latest