The Student Room Group

Does it work?

If you love someone, let them go, if they are yours they will come back. Does it actually work? I want to use this in my relationship as it's in a rough patch and I just feel emotionally warned out.
Reply 1
Hi Serah :colondollar:
Reply 2
How are you today Serah? :colondollar:
I would say no. You can't let someone go and expect them to just come running back. Even if they really love you, you dumped them. That will hurt. I would suggest a break. Tell them you love them but you both need a little space; make it clear it isn't a break up though.
Reply 4
Original post by Precious Illusions
I would say no. You can't let someone go and expect them to just come running back. Even if they really love you, you dumped them. That will hurt. I would suggest a break. Tell them you love them but you both need a little space; make it clear it isn't a break up though.

Okay, fair enough.
Hello and welcome to reality, where things like this happen rarely.
Reply 6
Original post by Anaa95
If you love someone, let them go, if they are yours they will come back. Does it actually work? I want to use this in my relationship as it's in a rough patch and I just feel emotionally warned out.

Sounds like you need a break, just time to relax without that emotional pressure.

Yes, if they really love you, they'll be waiting for when you're ready to get back together ~ so it's kind of a test as well as a chance to recharge :cute:
Reply 7
Original post by Alexion
Sounds like you need a break, just time to relax without that emotional pressure.

Yes, if they really love you, they'll be waiting for when you're ready to get back together ~ so it's kind of a test as well as a chance to recharge :cute:

Thank you, and yeah I do. I was thinking of it from that way, just wasn't sure if I should hope in it or not.
Reply 8
Original post by Anaa95
Thank you, and yeah I do. I was thinking of it from that way, just wasn't sure if I should hope in it or not.

I think that if you couldn't trust them to wait while you need the time, then they're not really worth it :3
Reply 9
Original post by Alexion
I think that if you couldn't trust them to wait while you need the time, then they're not really worth it :3

Yeah, all part of the test, i suppose.
Original post by Anaa95

I personally don't think this is true. Relationships are hard work, there is no denying that, but if there are other factors involved, it can put further strain on the relationship. Taking a break may seem like a good idea, if you decide this is what you want to do, and your other half agrees, set boundaries.
Such as: Are you allowed to see other people? (Let's avoid the Ross and Rachel "We were on a break" scenario!) How long will you be apart? What will happen with sleeping arrangements? (assuming you stay together in the same room) Will you have a meet up to discuss how things went before deciding on the future?
Can the issues in your relatioinship be resolved apart? Or do you both need to work through them together?
Sometimes time apart is good and healthy, as long as you both know where you stand with each other, and assuming it is mutual. :smile:
Hope this helps :smile:

Quick Reply