The Student Room Group

GCSE Grades

Right! I got 10 A's and one A* which happened to be in Biology. My question is, are those good enough grades? I've been told by a seemingly harsh teacher that it's not enough. It's really bothering me, I've emailed a couple of admissions teams to ask if they need A*s they've said no, but I feel like they'd still matter. Most students have quite a few A* grades. Am I still alright to bother applying? In terms of A-levels, well i'm in the process of completing internals which will go towards predicted grades so I have no idea. I'm hoping for 3A's in Biology, Chemistry and English Literature.
I'm adamant in applying to medicine, but it's external criticism of my grades that's just bringing me down. Also don't think I'm disappointed in these grades, I was actually very surprised and I'm proud of them. The "seemingly harsh" teacher said in the school I'm in, it's not quite up to par...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Unorganisedaf
Right! I got 10 A's and one A* which happened to be in Biology. My question is, are those good enough grades? I've been told by a seemingly harsh teacher that it's not enough. It's really bothering me, I've emailed a couple of admissions teams to ask if they need A*s they've said no, but I feel like they'd still matter. Most students have quite a few A* grades. Am I still alright to bother applying? In terms of A-levels, well i'm in the process of completing internals which will go towards predicted grades so I have no idea. I'm hoping for 3A's in Biology, Chemistry and English Literature.
I'm adamant in applying to medicine, but it's external criticism of my grades that's just bringing me down. Also don't think I'm disappointed in these grades, I was actually very surprised and I'm proud of them. The "seemingly harsh" teacher said in the school I'm in, it's not quite up to par...

Your GCSEs are fine to apply for medicine but not for all medical schools. You will need to look carefully at how each university selects for interview - some (Birmingham, Cardiff) require lots of A*s at GCSE, others will place more emphasis on UKCAT/BMAT or personal statement.
The best thing for you to do now is concentrate on being predicted 3As at A level (you will need this as no university will offer lower and your application probably won't be looked at further without it) and on getting a really good UKCAT which will open quite a few doors for you.
Once you've done a UKCAT you will have a better idea of which places will be good to apply.

Your grades are quite good don't let teachers tell you what you can and can't do with all these A's you can show developed knowledge and understanding of that subject, so go for it and apply for medicine
Original post by violin101
Your GCSEs are fine to apply for medicine but not for all medical schools. You will need to look carefully at how each university selects for interview - some (Birmingham, Cardiff) require lots of A*s at GCSE, others will place more emphasis on UKCAT/BMAT or personal statement.
The best thing for you to do now is concentrate on being predicted 3As at A level (you will need this as no university will offer lower and your application probably won't be looked at further without it) and on getting a really good UKCAT which will open quite a few doors for you.
Once you've done a UKCAT you will have a better idea of which places will be good to apply.

Ah, I emailed Birmingham who denied any A* requirements at GCSE. I won't be applying to them anyway, other universities have caught my eye haha. Thank you for the advice! :smile:
Original post by zXcodeXz
Your grades are quite good don't let teachers tell you what you can and can't do with all these A's you can show developed knowledge and understanding of that subject, so go for it and apply for medicine

I thought so too. I've proved many teachers wrong in the past and I intend to keep doing so, thanks!
I thought so too. I've proved many teachers wrong in the past and I intend to keep doing so, thanks!

That's great! And good luck! What exam board did you do for maths and what year?
That's great! And good luck! What exam board did you do for maths and what year?

Edexcel maths A, 2015
Edexcel maths A, 2015

How did you revise for maths? The paper that you done was so hard!
How did you revise for maths? The paper that you done was so hard!

I didn't revise...I did like one past paper and that was it. I was too busy focusing on subjects I actually liked lol
I didn't revise...I did like one past paper and that was it. I was too busy focusing on subjects I actually liked lol

How did you manage to get an A then?!
How did you manage to get an A then?!

Low grade boundaries buddy. Maths edexcel at GCSE is easy as anything in terms of achieving a B and A grade.
To get an A was 125 out of 200. 125!!
Low grade boundaries buddy. Maths edexcel at GCSE is easy as anything in terms of achieving a B and A grade.
To get an A was 125 out of 200. 125!!

Yeah lol our grade boundaries are like 117/175
Are you kidding? These are amazing grades, ignore that teacher they clearly don't understand anything about getting into medicine as, well, they're a teacher not a doctor..
Maybe to soothe your qualms talk to someone who has studied medicine and find out how they got into university etc.. but seriously with grades like that you will have no problems.
Yeah lol our grade boundaries are like 117/175

Then it gets to AS level maths, which I'm regretting ever doing! I totally effed up Core 1. It's like 240 UMS to achieve an A. I'm crying on the inside tears of acid eating my motivation and spitting it out as a nasty salt of crap.
Original post by catkoala
Are you kidding? These are amazing grades, ignore that teacher they clearly don't understand anything about getting into medicine as, well, they're a teacher not a doctor..
Maybe to soothe your qualms talk to someone who has studied medicine and find out how they got into university etc.. but seriously with grades like that you will have no problems.

Thank you :smile: I can only hope! I have spoken to ex-students of my school who have gone on to do medicine, they aren't particularly useful unfortunately. They would redirect me to admissions people, which I have already looked at.
Then it gets to AS level maths, which I'm regretting ever doing! I totally effed up Core 1. It's like 240 UMS to achieve an A. I'm crying on the inside tears of acid eating my motivation and spitting it out as a nasty salt of crap.

I get what you mean, what are you planning on doing in university?
I get what you mean, what are you planning on doing in university?

Medicine lol hence why the thread is in medicine and mentions medicine haha
Medicine lol hence why the thread is in medicine and mentions medicine haha

Oh sorry about that, the medical school that you want to go do they require a level maths or are you just doing it because you like it?
Oh sorry about that, the medical school that you want to go do they require a level maths or are you just doing it because you like it?

I hate maths. I chose to do it because I'm an idiot. At the same time, I didn't like any other subject being offered. My university choices don't need maths at A-level lol, it was Chemistry and Biology or Physics or Maths and then 3rd alevel as rigorous academic subject so I picked English literature.
I hate maths. I chose to do it because I'm an idiot. At the same time, I didn't like any other subject being offered. My university choices don't need maths at A-level lol, it was Chemistry and Biology or Physics or Maths and then 3rd alevel as rigorous academic subject so I picked English literature.

Ohh ok are you planning on dropping maths after AS?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending