The Student Room Group

AQA AS BUSINESS 19th May

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JamesPhilipo
What are the grade boundaries likely to be?

Nobody knows, sadly. It's the new spec, so nothing to compare it with! :'(
What points did people make about the question on Debt Factoring?

Does anyone rememeber what they wrote for the question on Human Resources Flow question?
Original post by Mattymooy
Did you do the new AS Spec for Business?

If so the only one was in the multichoice about what was the variable cost per unit.

I put B) £4.25.

That is what I put!
Original post by nehad.lamrani
What points did people make about the question on Debt Factoring?

Does anyone rememeber what they wrote for the question on Human Resources Flow question?

I wrote that the business would likely have a lot of uncollected money, thus by debt factoring they could gain a lot of that which improves short term cash flow, the money gained could then be used to invest in the business ... Etc however they may not want to do it as they are not getting the maximum value of owed money as you are basically giving some % of it away.

For human resource flow it was basically that it could improve their performance in some ways by making staff redundant as many customers were booking online so there was no need for staff interaction, thus no need for staff which lowers costs to the business, as it was doing badly, it gives them a chance to make a profit if costs were lower than revenue after redundancies, good idea to make the staff that were in the loss making stores redundant but would be bad if it was staff from the profit making stores as that would mean that there is shortage for workers meaning it is not efficient, also making staff redundant causes employees to lose motivation leading to a lower morale and productivity, quality of customer service also suffers which leads to customers not willing to pay the extra for the service as they would have been if customer service was good. Overal it would increase financial competitiveness if the business decided to make staff redundant in the non profit making stores in the short run as excess about not needed

Hardest question imo on the paper, struggled a little for time
(edited 7 years ago)
I put £4.25 and 31.9% for the ROI,

For the 16 markers I was always taught to do 6 marks worth of evaluation but I felt my points were pretty weak tbh, seemed like the case study wasnt very detailed:/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 25
I really felt like timing was an issue for this exam. The issue is that paper 2 is more of the same, excluding the MCQs. If I were to get an E in paper 1, what would I need to bump it up to a C? I felt like for the short answer questions, I knew what I was writing, but I didn't get to dedicate 16 minutes each to both of the 2 long questions. If I were to do poorly, let's say I get an E or a D, would I be able to appeal for more time in Business next year?
Reply 26
Original post by connormc199
Honestly thought that test was terrible, the time was the main obstacle! For the break even question I think I got 442

I got the same as you for this! And yes it was such an awful paper and I don't even know why a break even question was there when the business had semi-variable costs?!
Original post by izzielr
I got the same as you for this! And yes it was such an awful paper and I don't even know why a break even question was there when the business had semi-variable costs?!

yeah it was dreadful!
Hackman and Oldham is such a pain in the arse.
Reply 29
To confirm, the answer for the return on investment question was 23.18%

Decisions trees was £6.1m

Have spoken to a chief examiner
To confirm, the answer for the return on investment question was 23.18%

Decisions trees was £6.1m

Have spoken to a chief examiner

God ****ing damnit. Got the ROI question wrong. Oh well, I'm continuing with business anyway!
Reply 31
Original post by abrack
God ****ing damnit. Got the ROI question wrong. Oh well, I'm continuing with business anyway!

It was a really challenging paper...
This is what a chief examiner has said about it: http://www.tutor2u.net/business/blog/aqa-as-business-reflections-on-paper-1-business-1#bio

Many people would have made that same mistake.

Indications of very low grade boundaries (or fingers crossed, at least).
Reply 32
Anyone looking for advise for Paper 2 on Tuesday???

Take a look at this link:
http://www.tutor2u.net/business/blog/aqa-as-business-reflections-on-paper-1-business-1#bio
It was a really challenging paper...
This is what a chief examiner has said about it: http://www.tutor2u.net/business/blog/aqa-as-business-reflections-on-paper-1-business-1#bio

Many people would have made that same mistake.

Indications of very low grade boundaries (or fingers crossed, at least).

I hope so. I didn't find it too difficult, aside from the ROI Q.
Reply 34
Original post by abrack
Both of those answers were correct. I checked the formulae sheet after the exam.

ROI Question is 23.18

Quick Reply

Latest