2016 AQA GCSE Chemistry Unofficial mark scheme 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by #1Mathlete
C1 past grade boundaries
2015: A* 50, A 41, B 31, C 22, D 13
2014: A* 47, A 38, B 29, C 21, D 13
2013: A* 47, A 37, B 27, C 17, D 8

I reckon this year was most similar to 2015 in terms of difficulty so use that

So do you think that the hrade boundary will be 50 for this year as well?
Original post by ScienceFantatic
This is for the higher tier

Question 1

Spoiler

Question 2

Spoiler

Question 3

Spoiler

Question 4:

Spoiler

Question 5

Spoiler

Random ones:

Spoiler

Took me a while to make so any rep would be much appreciated :smile:. I hope this helped you all, I was getting impatient with it not being made in time so I made my own.

Hi, you said for one of the wuestions as you go further down the reactivity series it breaks down easier, but doesnt reactivity decrease as you go down the reactivity series?
I put data logger instead of digital thermometer? Would that be okay? I don't think so tbh but I just want to check
Reply 523
Original post by lilianna_m8
Yep! I'm on the same boat as you. Well kinda. I think I got a B, so now I need to get two A*s for an overall grade of an A* or two As/ one A and one A* to get an overall grade of an A. Calculated everything last night. I was so upset as my C1 didn't go so well.

Good luck!

Yh, same I know I could've done much better. the exam was overall easy. I just think that that last 5 marker and a couple other things I just slipped up on. Did u see that there was 18 marks all about crude oils????? Good luck though hope you get the grades you want :smile:.
Original post by Priya_K
I think that would be a solid B. I harshly marked myself and got around 45/44 marks, hopefully that's an A. It'll be even better if they have lower grade boundaries this year!

I will be okay with that , I can only hope for low grade boundaries to possibly get a better grade
Reply 525
Was that definitely question 5?

yeah it is
but the answer given is more of a 4 mark than 5. You need to mention WHY someone would harden the unsaturated oil
I'm glad I could help

What do you think the grade boundaries will be for this paper? (And the b1)
Original post by Lucofthewoods
What do you think the grade boundaries will be for this paper? (And the b1)

He thinks Chemistry be around 50 ( same as last year)
Reply 528
Original post by curlewsand
Would mentioning that you can make margarine and having a longer shelf life be two marks for the last question?

yep i wroye that too
Reply 529
Original post by FitzpatrickR
The tick box question was copper oxide. I think

How was it cooper oxide? The tick box one
Original post by Omz123
How was it cooper oxide? The tick box one

It was calcium oxide

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Habina786xx
It was calcium oxide

Posted from TSR Mobile

It was copper oxide and it was copper oxide because it was a thermal decomp reaction

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by blueribbons99
It was copper oxide and it was copper oxide because it was a thermal decomp reaction

Posted from TSR Mobile

But calcium carbonate thermally decomposes to co2 and Calcium oxide.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Habina786xx
But calcium carbonate thermally decomposes to co2 and Calcium oxide.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmm.... I thought It asked something similar. I ticked "copper" because I'm sure that the question related into the answer meaning it was a reduction not oxidation. If that was the case then the reaction would've been CuO --> (heat) ---> Copper + Carbon Dioxide
Original post by redsoules
Hmm.... I thought It asked something similar. I ticked "copper" because I'm sure that the question related into the answer meaning it was a reduction not oxidation. If that was the case then the reaction would've been CuO --> (heat) ---> Copper + Carbon Dioxide

It was copper oxide I asked my teacher

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by redsoules

Ohhh yes!! Sorry just remembered the question now!

I think it said when copper decomposes....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SunnyBoys
'
Incomplete combustion occurs when the supply of air or oxygen is poor. Water is still produced, but carbon monoxide and carbon are produced instead of carbon dioxide. The carbon is released as soot.'
From bitesize. Soot forms as well he was right.

Hey guys, I put down that soot was formed but I didn't specifically say it was due to incomplete combustion but I said that the carbon did not react with oxygen, thus leaving a deposit of soot. Would I get two marks or 1 mark?

Also, do you think I might get full marks on the hydrogenation question if I said: reacts with hydrogen, at 60oC in presence of nickel ctalyst - to increase melting point so is solid at room temperature and can therefore be used as spreads etc.

Do you think 52/60 would be an A*?

Cheers!
Original post by johnfraser
Hey guys, I put down that soot was formed but I didn't specifically say it was due to incomplete combustion but I said that the carbon did not react with oxygen, thus leaving a deposit of soot. Would I get two marks or 1 mark?

Also, do you think I might get full marks on the hydrogenation question if I said: reacts with hydrogen, at 60oC in presence of nickel ctalyst - to increase melting point so is solid at room temperature and can therefore be used as spreads etc.

Do you think 52/60 would be an A*?

Cheers!

Yep you got full marks on both. Considering how well people did this year you may just skim the A*
Original post by SunnyBoys
Yep you got full marks on both. Considering how well people did this year you may just skim the A*

Marvellous - thanks for your input! I got 100UMS on my ISA so I think I can afford to drop a few marks on c1 if I make it up on the other papers.
Original post by Dj3824
Yh, same I know I could've done much better. the exam was overall easy. I just think that that last 5 marker and a couple other things I just slipped up on. Did u see that there was 18 marks all about crude oils????? Good luck though hope you get the grades you want :smile:.

Yes it was, and I can't believe I managed to do so bad. Especially the last 5 mark question, I got confused with hydration 👎🏾. I was never amazingballs with C1 but damn, I wanted at least an A. I'm pretty confident about units 2 and 3- coming up really soon!
And omg, really? I didn't notice that! Too panicked about running out of time, lol. That's 30% of the paper on crude oils jeez.

Anyway, same to you, good luck

:bootyshake:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending