The Student Room Group

A View From the Bridge

I wrote a quick point on Beatrice in preparation for the exam tomorrow, can someone read it and give me some feedback please? Thanks

Throughout the play A View From the Bridge, Beatrice is presented by Miller as being fiercely loyal to Eddie. Surprisingly, considering the amount of neglect from Eddie, she still finds it in her heart to love him.Beatrice challenges Eddie and asks him "when she is going to be a wife again", whilst still expressing her deep love for Eddie through the use of affectionate language which has a warm embrace. This language presents the idea the outcome that she wants from Eddie is his love and his love only, this language further shows Beatrice's sympathetic side since she isn't worried about the lack of physical love that Eddie and Beatrice do not share. Furthermore, this devotion to Eddie is further emphasized toward the end of the play. Beatrice tells Eddie that she will stay home with him whilst Catherine is getting married, perhaps this would be common behavior of a women in the 1950's or perhaps it is symbolic of the love that Beatrice feels towards Eddie. The audience is left feeling sympathetic for Beatrice since despite her best efforts to make Eddie see sense she fails but still remains a devout wife to Eddie. This continues the form of a tragedy, since Eddie is neglecting the real person he should be with for another person, he only realizes that Beatrice is the person that he should be with right at the end of the play when says"Oh, B", but since this is at the end of the play the tragic form is continued as it is too late for Eddie despite the loyalty of Beatrice.
(edited 7 years ago)
I would also mention stage directions somewhere, which supports the idea that Beatrice is loving/affectionate to Eddie. It shows the drama technique.
Mention the genre of the play as a 'modern tragedy'.
Beatrice is forgiving towards Eddie also, and very understanding.

I think that overall, that is very good, deserving of a high A/A*.
Reply 2
Original post by Ishan_2000
I would also mention stage directions somewhere, which supports the idea that Beatrice is loving/affectionate to Eddie. It shows the drama technique.
Mention the genre of the play as a 'modern tragedy'.
Beatrice is forgiving towards Eddie also, and very understanding.

I think that overall, that is very good, deserving of a high A/A*.

Thanks, how many paragraphs would u say u need in a 40 mark questions?
Original post by Stockman_
Thanks, how many paragraphs would u say u need in a 40 mark questions?

I would aim to write 2 and a half pages, including the introduction and the conclusion, between 2 and 3 pages. I would say 5 well developed paragraphs, including the introduction and the conclusion is a bare minimum. Ideally, 4 paragraphs in the middle of the intro and the end, all well developed to ensure an A/A*.
Reply 4
That is pretty good, but I would aim to mention more about language and dramatic techniques. On the markscheme half the marks are awarded for A02 (language, structure tone) so this includes things like dramatic irony/tension/ pause. Or other language features, simile, adjective, verb... I would also start the paragraphs off with a long-ish quote and pull things out of it.

Don't forget: Beatrice breaks the stereotype of a Italian wife (which Eddie picks up on in Act 2) because she 'Rebels' against him, points out his flaws a doesn't agree with him.

But other than theta really good. Well done :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by A.bi.iii
That is pretty good, but I would aim to mention more about language and dramatic techniques. On the markscheme half the marks are awarded for A02 (language, structure tone) so this includes things like dramatic irony/tension/ pause. Or other language features, simile, adjective, verb... I would also start the paragraphs off with a long-ish quote and pull things out of it.

Don't forget: Beatrice breaks the stereotype of a Italian wife (which Eddie picks up on in Act 2) because she 'Rebels' against him, points out his flaws a doesn't agree with him.

But other than theta really good. Well done :smile:

Thank You, what is A01 and A02 though?
Reply 6
Original post by Stockman_
Thank You, what is A01 and A02 though?

Check the mark schemes it will say in their

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending