The Student Room Group

National 5 Physics 2015-2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by .Jeff458
I've actually done that soooo many times and felt that soooo much before!!!!

Trust me, I think you will get the A. Nat 5 is marked generously and you will realise that on results day. They are lenient to give you marks. At higher, they basically want you to be a bin cleaner and fail :colonhash:

Awwww :smile:

Anyways, I need to focus now only 2 days left and keep getting distracted. Probs won't talk to you until after exam. Make sure you let me know how it goes!

And go to bed... lmao
Original post by RossB1702
Hopefully the knowledge and explain of that section doesn't come up. The calculations are good though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah. You have no idea how much I am praying that it doesn't come up. Calculations, no probs though.

I am desperate for a big marker on photoelectric effect (Love that) and at least 7 marks on relativity with no explaining possibly? Refraction, some big marks and same with diffraction.

Tbh, I just don't want explain in electricity or electric/magentic field lines or complex forces. Sometimes forces can be a *****
Are transformers and rectifiers in the course ? Have never heard of them ever,
Original post by Ethan100
Are transformers and rectifiers in the course ? Have never heard of them ever,

No.
is average velocity displacement/time ?

Yes average velocity displacement/time is in the course. Ignore semiconductors and transformers.

How are you getting on?
Original post by sameehaiqbal
Yes average velocity displacement/time is in the course. Ignore semiconductors and transformers.

How are you getting on?

Heyyyyy
I'm doing alright I guess, I think I may have left the revision too late.
Too much to go over but not much time.

Do you recommend Bbc bitesize quizzes as revision or no ? :smile:
Heyyyyy
I'm doing alright I guess, I think I may have left the revision too late.
Too much to go over but not much time.

Do you recommend Bbc bitesize quizzes as revision or no ? :smile:

Still got two full days left. Don't worry. Stay relaxed and just power through everything. :biggrin:

Are you struggling on a specific topic?

Erm... yes and no? I guess it's okay for seeing your basic knowledge of physics. I'd think they were more really basic c level questions. Just do a shitload of pastpapers to see where you're going wrong and revise over the topics you got wrong.
Still got two full days left. Don't worry. Stay relaxed and just power through everything. :biggrin:

Erm... yes and no? I guess it's okay for seeing your basic knowledge of physics. I'd think they were more really basic c level questions. Just do a shitload of pastpapers to see where you're going wrong and revise over the topics you got wrong.

Yeah I think im going to try some exam type questions.

I have a question about Heat energy, In class we learnt two equations Eh=cmDeltaT
and
Eh= ml
How would I know which one to use if the question is asking for the heat energy? Oh and what does the l stand for ? I know the c stands for specific Heat Capacity.

Thank you <3
Reply 229

You can also use past paper marking scheme to memorise all the definitions that sqa wants :smile:
Is there any more kinds of practice papers you can do for n5 physics if you have already done the ones on the sqa website?
Yeah I think im going to try some exam type questions.

I have a question about Heat energy, In class we learnt two equations Eh=cmDeltaT
and
Eh= ml
How would I know which one to use if the question is asking for the heat energy? Oh and what does the l stand for ? I know the c stands for specific Heat Capacity.

Thank you <3

Eh=cmDeltaT is for Specific Heat Capacity and it's the energy needed to raise the temperature of an object of 1kg per 1c

Eh=ml is for Specific Latent Heat Capacity and its the heat required to convert a solid into a liquid or vapour, or a liquid into vapour. When the substance changes from one state to another, the temperature remains constant.

m= mass
l= specific latent heat of the substance (which will be on the data sheet provided in the exam)

You will know because they will always mention something like "calculate the energy required to change ice into water). The process of a solid changing to a liquid is called "fusion". You need to know this to get the correct specific latent heat on the data sheet.

So you just go to the data sheet and pick out "water" from the specific latent heat fusion table and replace l with the figure and replace m with the mass e.g 0.65kg

http://www.sqa.org.uk/files_ccc/PhysicsSQPN5DataSheet.pdf

That is the data sheet ^^^

So that is the difference between Specific Heat Capacity and Specific Latent Heat Capacity.
Eh=cmDeltaT is for Specific Heat Capacity and it's the energy needed to raise the temperature of an object of 1kg per 1c

Eh=ml is for Specific Latent Heat Capacity and its the heat required to convert a solid into a liquid or vapour, or a liquid into vapour. When the substance changes from one state to another, the temperature remains constant.

m= mass
l= specific latent heat of the substance (which will be on the data sheet provided in the exam)

You will know because they will always mention something like "calculate the energy required to change ice into water). The process of a solid changing to a liquid is called "fusion". You need to know this to get the correct specific latent heat on the data sheet.

So you just go to the data sheet and pick out "water" from the specific latent heat fusion table and replace l with the figure and replace m with the mass e.g 0.65kg

http://www.sqa.org.uk/files_ccc/PhysicsSQPN5DataSheet.pdf

That is the data sheet ^^^

So that is the difference between Specific Heat Capacity and Specific Latent Heat Capacity.

Oh wooow, this just got so much harder :O

Thank You !!!!
Original post by thomson521
Is there any more kinds of practice papers you can do for n5 physics if you have already done the ones on the sqa website?

Yes.

Electricity and Energy Questions
http://mrmackenzie.co.uk/2014/05/nat...ty-and-energy/

Electricity and Energy Answers
http://mrmackenzie.co.uk/2014/05/nat...ty-and-energy/

Dynamics and Space Questions
http://mrmackenzie.co.uk/2014/04/nat...ics-and-space/

Dynamics and Space Answers
http://mrmackenzie.co.uk/2014/04/nat...ics-and-space/

Waves and Radiation Questions
http://mrmackenzie.co.uk/2015/05/nat...xam-questions/

Waves and Radiation Answers
http://mrmackenzie.co.uk/2015/05/sol...le-wr-exam-qs/

Thanks to @A+Hunter
Oh wooow, this just got so much harder :O

Thank You !!!!

Just remember:

Ice to Water (Solid to Liquid) = Fusion
Water to Steam (Liquid to Gas) = Vapourisation
Steam to water (Gas to Liquid) = Condensation

If you remember that, then it will help you in picking out the correct specific latent heat from the data sheet.
Just remember:

Ice to Water (Solid to Liquid) = Fusion
Water to Steam (Liquid to Gas) = Vapourisation
Steam to water (Gas to Liquid) = Condensation

If you remember that, then it will help you in picking out the correct specific latent heat from the data sheet.

So any substance turning from solid to liquid is an example of fusion so I would get the latent heat of that substance from the fusion table ?
and
for a substance changing state from Liquid to Gas that's an example of Vapourisation and I get the latent heat from the vapourisation table ?

Right ?
(edited 7 years ago)
So any substance turning from solid to liquid is an example of fusion so I would get the latent heat of that substance from the fusion table ?
and
for a substance changing state from Liquid to Gas that's an example of Vapourisation and I get the latent heat from the vapourisation tale ?

Right ?

Yes that's correct

So don't panic if you aren't given a number to work with. They're just testing to see if you know the difference between fusion/vapourisation and you can pick out numbers correctly from the data sheet. :smile:

If it's an easy question they will probably just give you the specific latent heat in the question.
Yes that's correct

So don't panic if you aren't given a number to work with. They're just testing to see if you know the difference between fusion/vapourisation and you can pick out numbers correctly from the data sheet. :smile:

If it's an easy question they will probably just give you the specific latent heat in the question.

You don't understand how much you have helped me. I am so thankful ! :bumps:

Yes it is.
You don't understand how much you have helped me. I am so thankful ! :bumps:

:hugs:

Quick Reply

Latest