The Student Room Group

English Lit OMAM Paper help!!

I'm sitting my An Inspector Calls and Of Mice and Men English GCSE paper tomorrow. I know how to answer the AIC question and part a (the passage) for OMAM, but how do I answer part b??? I know I need context, and I'm revising context now but what else? Like, how do I start the question and how do I structure it? For example, I had a mock where it said something like 'how does Steinbeck present some people being more important than others in the rest of the novel?' and I didn't know how to begin. Like, could I just say 'Crooks is a good example of white people being more important than black people and then bring in some 1930s America context? Then I could start talking about Curley's wife? Like, how do I structure it? Please help, thanks
I really struggle with section B too but it's important just to structure it just as PEA but with social/ historical context as development.

For example:
P - Crooks' character is used to demonstrate that white people were of more importance than black people at the time.
E - A quote e.g. Use of terms like "N*****" by white ranch workers
A - This shows...
Development with CONTEXT - During the 1930s, there was segregation of the black people from white people e.t.c and link back to the question of importance

Of course, this is really brief but I reckon it's a useful structure to go by as to ensure high marks. Social and historical context is what really matters here :smile:
Are you doing OCR? Because you dont have to do both part A and B, you get to choose which you do. Id say avoid part B because you have to know the text really well and the mark scheme is harder
Reply 3
Original post by rosieridleyx
Are you doing OCR? Because you dont have to do both part A and B, you get to choose which you do. Id say avoid part B because you have to know the text really well and the mark scheme is harder

No, I think it's AQA because I know I have to do both questions but thabks though
Reply 4
Original post by bytheseasons
I really struggle with section B too but it's important just to structure it just as PEA but with social/ historical context as development.

For example:
P - Crooks' character is used to demonstrate that white people were of more importance than black people at the time.
E - A quote e.g. Use of terms like "N*****" by white ranch workers
A - This shows...
Development with CONTEXT - During the 1930s, there was segregation of the black people from white people e.t.c and link back to the question of importance

Of course, this is really brief but I reckon it's a useful structure to go by as to ensure high marks. Social and historical context is what really matters here :smile:

Thanks so much, this is really gonna help

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending