The Student Room Group

Haven't Re-read Of Mice and Men for AQA English Literature!

I read it sometime last year, and I've seen the film a couple of times. I know the plot and most key moments and I'm thinking I'll just memorise some important quotes and themes etc. Without having read the book recently do you think this will be sufficient? I'm very good at English generally and I'm a good writer- perceptive too. However I haven't done much/barley any lit practice. If I revise exam technique, key moments and quotes and themes etc. will it not matter that I haven't read the book recently? I would like at least an A in the paper tomorrow.

Scroll to see replies

lol dont worry ive not even read LOTF all the way through once and im getting B's its all good
Reply 2
Well then, surely you should get reading? It should only take you a couple hours provided that you dedicate your full attention to it.- You still have plenty of time to change your situation. I mean, it's not essential but if it'll make you feel more confident when going into the exam tomorrow then I'd recommend that you do it.

Good luck! :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
RE-read? I haven't read Pride and Prejudice (61 chapters) and the exam is in 5 days :redface:
Reply 4
Yeah I should be fine, I just dont want to waste time reading it if I could be doing something more useful
I never read it when I did it. And got an A star
Guys, i'm scared.
Reply 7
Original post by stripedbox
I never read it when I did it. And got an A star

How did you revise?
Original post by PolarisVega
How did you revise?

Bought OMAM made easy book the day before
Reply 9
Bought OMAM made easy book the day before

any tips?
OH MY GOD! I have an amazing tip that works so well!

Go on youtube and search for the Of Mice and Men audio book

Then go on the little settings cog and make it in x2 speed

Then listen to it as you read along! It means you can read the book in about 2 and a half hours. It honestly works. Put little post it notes in the bits that are important, then once you've finished reading, go back and re-read those bits without the audio book!

Trust me, it works, and you really need to have a good understanding of the book and how everything fits together!

Good luck tomorrow!
You could read it three times today if you read with purpose. There are almost endless resources available for OMAM - you'll be fine.
any tips?

I also read summaries of the plot BBC bitesize
I also read summaries of the plot BBC bitesize

You'll be fine. Just keep on writing as much as possible in the time you've got with as many ideas as you can think that link to the question. If you've got an idea that isn't relevant to the question and you REALLY just want to get in there, say it and and just think of any reason to make it relevant somehow.
lmao, you'll be fine. just learn quotes in order of events in the book and it should be ok! also, categorise the quotes under themes etc.

the question will most likely be on a character/theme so as long as you understand the plot and you have sufficient quotes it's not a necessity to re-read omam and memorise the plot.

i only read it once and winged the exam and got a B. you'll be fine :-)
Just keep calm. You'll be fine
I swear AQA get given an unannotated book in the exam to refer to anyway? You'll be fine.

Spoiler

Original post by megan0510
oh my god! I have an amazing tip that works so well!

Go on youtube and search for the of mice and men audio book

then go on the little settings cog and make it in x2 speed

then listen to it as you read along! It means you can read the book in about 2 and a half hours. It honestly works. Put little post it notes in the bits that are important, then once you've finished reading, go back and re-read those bits without the audio book!

Trust me, it works, and you really need to have a good understanding of the book and how everything fits together!

Good luck tomorrow!

this is life changing. I'm trying this. Thank you ;a;
I read it sometime last year, and I've seen the film a couple of times. I know the plot and most key moments and I'm thinking I'll just memorise some important quotes and themes etc. Without having read the book recently do you think this will be sufficient? I'm very good at English generally and I'm a good writer- perceptive too. However I haven't done much/barley any lit practice. If I revise exam technique, key moments and quotes and themes etc. will it not matter that I haven't read the book recently? I would like at least an A in the paper tomorrow.

ask your teacher if it's open book. I'm pretty sure it is because it's only GCSE, I don't think they're allowed to be evil enough and make it closed book at that level? We did OCR and it was open book. I only read it once lol you'll be fine.
But then again OMAM was my weakest essay, but that's because of the bs extract we got. And me being an idiot I picked the extract q whereas it would have been smarter to pick the theme q because it was about violence (basically our controlled assessment)
Oh well, I don't really care anymore stil got a really high A overall (OMAM stopped that A*)
One thing I recommend though is to look through the dull chapters with not so much annotations... And try and come up with stuff for them. Because we got the most full extract from the whole book

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending