The Student Room Group

What to drop?

So I'm currently sitting my AS exams and the subjects I took for year 12 include: Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Physics. I enjoy all of my subjects but I know that I'm not going to take 4 A levels, however I'm torn between dropping Further Maths or Chemistry.

For a while I've been looking into doing Chemical Engineering at uni, so I'd take Maths, Chemistry and Physics and drop Further Maths. As much as I enjoy Chemistry, I do find it the most difficult out of the 4 subjects and I'm worried that it'd lessen my chances of getting into a good university.

The other option would be to drop Chemistry and apply for Computer Sciences. I've always been interested in computing and I feel like I would genuinely enjoy doing a degree that's based around it. I've done some research but I can't seem to find any good facts about employment, as I'm conscious a lot of people leave university thousands in debt so it's be nice to know whether there is a high demand of people with this degree.

Thanks for any help :smile:.
Honestly, further maths. Having that and maths together doesn't give you enough variety. It's like having fries, ketchup, chicken thigh AND chicken wings in one meal... doesn't work.
Reply 2
Original post by The_JoKeR
Honestly, further maths. Having that and maths together doesn't give you enough variety. It's like having fries, ketchup, chicken thigh AND chicken wings in one meal... doesn't work.

But say if i was to do Computer Sciences, wouldn't Further Maths be more beneficial than chemistry?
In that case yes but it still wouldn't be very useful with maths
Original post by The_JoKeR

That's plenty of variety!

What, would you throw in a burger? :P
Original post by WPilsbury
So I'm currently sitting my AS exams and the subjects I took for year 12 include: Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Physics. I enjoy all of my subjects but I know that I'm not going to take 4 A levels, however I'm torn between dropping Further Maths or Chemistry.

For a while I've been looking into doing Chemical Engineering at uni, so I'd take Maths, Chemistry and Physics and drop Further Maths. As much as I enjoy Chemistry, I do find it the most difficult out of the 4 subjects and I'm worried that it'd lessen my chances of getting into a good university.

The other option would be to drop Chemistry and apply for Computer Sciences. I've always been interested in computing and I feel like I would genuinely enjoy doing a degree that's based around it. I've done some research but I can't seem to find any good facts about employment, as I'm conscious a lot of people leave university thousands in debt so it's be nice to know whether there is a high demand of people with this degree.

Thanks for any help :smile:.

As far as i am aware being able to code makes you very employable, and if you find chemistry more difficult then i'd say drop it
Reply 6
Original post by ElmoActor14
As far as i am aware being able to code makes you very employable, and if you find chemistry more difficult then i'd say drop it

Thanks, I suppose we are becoming increasingly reliant on computers, so theres always going to be jobs available. The thing I'm worried about is whether or not there is a surplus of computer scientists so job competition could be too high if that makes sense?
Original post by WPilsbury
Thanks, I suppose we are becoming increasingly reliant on computers, so theres always going to be jobs available. The thing I'm worried about is whether or not there is a surplus of computer scientists so job competition could be too high if that makes sense?

I know someone who did a physics degree but self taught coding and he had a job the minute he graduated and has been offered every job hes gone for
As far as im aware not many people can code and if youd enjoy it, go for it! Id recommend asking someone more qualifird though, maybe a careers adviser?

Quick Reply

Latest