The Student Room Group

Describe your accent?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Blue_Mason
London accents are mad sexy

Yes,to outsiders from up north but to us Londoners,they're so boring
Southern English. Buckinghamshire and tea. Yum
Scouse! However, everyone thinks I'm from London! Weird.. They're very different accents if you ask me!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bluebookie
My aunt from London came two days ago and said I have a really strong 'brummie' accent, I didn't think it was that strong but apparently so. On certain words, I revert back to my Bolton accent from years ago, but that's on rare days. (I say Birmingham as bur-ming-um, is that weird outside Birmingham? do you pronounce the H??)

Do you mean pronounce the G? Every southerner I've heard pronounces it Birminum. There is a G in there guise.
I have a British accent.
I have a Scottish accent, but I'm from the Highlands, so my accent is hard to describe. We or at least I don't pronounce t's or l's in the middle of words. So butter would be bu'er, letter is le'er. For those who are from the same area, they might get the joke of "rubber bum'ers" (rubber bumpers, it's a joke about an Invernesian accent.) That's the best way I can even try to describe it. :smile:
Original post by Wilfred Little
Do you mean pronounce the G? Every southerner I've heard pronounces it Birminum. There is a G in there guise.

Birminum?? That sounds really weird- and yes I do pronounce the G, I thought it was only the H that was different. Never heard that one before, :confused:
Original post by bluebookie
Birminum?? That sounds really weird- and yes I do pronounce the G, I thought it was only the H that was different. Never heard that one before, :confused:

Yep, like this.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=D9H5auZD7PI

With less of a Jamaican accent of course.
I have a mild Manchester accent, not the harsh inner city one but the more toned down suburban one. I've also accidentally picked up a few Boltonian prononcuations as a result of working up there!
because of the different thing it means i have a slightly posh southern accent not plummy that's too posh but not common something like this guy's
[video="youtube;Mquo-A81w6M"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mquo-A81w6M[/video]
but with random american and italian tones acquired from my associates
Glaswegian :smile:
Mine's just a pretty standard British accent, no northerly twangs or anything, having grown up predominantly in the south. Since I was a kid people kept on telling me that I sounded "posh" which I never understood since most of them have grown up with me so they should really have the same accent as me and I just thought I sounded the same as everyone else haha
Original post by gameofno
American. kinda valley girl lol
Could be worse :ahee:

My accent is Lancashire, but I tend to try and pronounce words correctly. Sometimes I'm really broad, sometimes I'm really clipped; depends on my mood.
A mixture of London and apparently American (according to everyone else).
I sound like a drunk pirate when I'm sober.
Generic West Midlands-ish, generlly well-spoken but more Brummie when I'm with friends

Quick Reply

Latest