The Student Room Group

What is privilege?

It seems like everyone has a different idea of what privilege is. What is your opinion about privilege and how does it affect you?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
:bump:
Original post by xylas
It seems like everyone has a different idea of what privilege is. What is your opinion about privilege and how does it affect you?

Having something that many do not have and taking it for granted.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by just.revising
Having something that many do not have and taking it for granted.

Interesting. So it is possible that we live in a world without privilege if no-one took things for granted?
Original post by xylas
Interesting. So it is possible that we live in a world without privilege if no-one took things for granted?

But we won't have an equal of what everyone else has, so we are still privileged.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
From how I understand it, privilege is basically the idea of being entitled to and having certain advantages due to race, sex/gender, sexuality and other factors.
Reply 6
But we won't have an equal of what everyone else has, so we are still privileged.

I don't think privilege is the same as inequality.

Original post by markreed
From how I understand it, privilege is basically the idea of being entitled to and having certain advantages due to race, sex/gender, sexuality and other factors.

Ok so would you say it is an advantage in society that exists due to things you can't control? Like the opposite of merit?
Reply 7
Original post by xylas
I don't think privilege is the same as inequality.

Ok so would you say it is an advantage in society that exists due to things you can't control? Like the opposite of merit?

Honestly in my opinion it depends on the culture you're born in.

For example, in Saudi Arabia I'd definitely say that advantage is something you're born with i.e if your a man in Saudi Arabia then yay but if you're a woman then oh no.

But in western society I like to think that its more of a meritocratic deal. Hard work and contributions to society are valued regardless of a person's uncontrollable attributes.
Reply 8
Honestly in my opinion it depends on the culture you're born in.

For example, in Saudi Arabia I'd definitely say that advantage is something you're born with i.e if your a man in Saudi Arabia then yay but if you're a woman then oh no.

But in western society I like to think that its more of a meritocratic deal. Hard work and contributions to society are valued regardless of a person's uncontrollable attributes.

I never heard someone say privilege depends on culture before, interesting :smile:

So there isn't really any privilege in western society that's good to know!
basics yeah, privilege is when you have full opportunities in life and dont get hindered by age, sex, race etc innit
Original post by xylas
I never heard someone say privilege depends on culture before, interesting :smile:

There is the stark social divide between the rich and poor.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by xylas

Honestly it could just be my naive optimism talking haha. But I really do think that what people say and do with their lives (rather than what they are), is valued more at least nowadays :h:
Reply 12
There is the stark social divide between the rich and poor.

I already replied that I don't think privilege is the same as inequality
Reply 13
Original post by roadmanchasin££
basics yeah, privilege is when you have full opportunities in life and dont get hindered by age, sex, race etc innit

So can everyone be privileged?

Honestly it could just be my naive optimism talking haha. But I really do think that what people say and do with their lives (rather than what they are), is valued more at least nowadays :h:

I agree with this, although I know many would disagree with your definition of privilege
Original post by xylas
So can everyone be privileged?

In theory yh, but thats not how it is in reality i.e certain groups get more privilege generally in society ygm
Reply 15
Original post by roadmanchasin££
In theory yh, but thats not how it is in reality i.e certain groups get more privilege generally in society ygm

I'm not sure I agree. I think privilege is a relative concept not an absolute one. Privilege isn't a thing that is shared among us, rather it is a significant advantage of one group over another.

I think your statement should read 'certain groups are more privileged' to make sense.
Chocolate.
Original post by xylas
I'm not sure I agree. I think privilege is a relative concept not an absolute one. Privilege isn't a thing that is shared among us, rather it is a significant advantage of one group over another.

I think your statement should read 'certain groups are more privileged' to make sense.

yh soz, thats what i meant
Privilege is code word for people to find something to complain about in the west :smile:
People use the term privilege when they feel they are being discriminated against, but cannot find direct evidence. So they claim everyone else is privileged in order to maintain victim status. It isn't genuine inequality, like wealth disparity, or genuine discrimination, like the way black people are treated by police. It's a lot more about personal perception than anything evidence based.

Apparently my whiteness makes me privileged, I'm discriminated against due to my sexuality, impoverished background and accent, all of which have directly contributed to a lack of success generally, but nonetheless I am part of the problem to other people regardless of my lack of any power or influence.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending