The Student Room Group

AQA Lit, AIC - The Inspector's Enigmatic Nature

Does anyone have any interpretations on why the Inspector is crafted by Priestley to be so ambiguous and enigmatic? Perhaps it reflects the importance of responsibility following his departure, and the characters' responses but I am just unsure!
Perhaps The Inspector is just the manifestation of the characters conscience?
Reply 2
Original post by deadlyninja123
Perhaps The Inspector is just the manifestation of the characters conscience?

Thanks! That's an interesting interpretation, but what evidence could you give to support it?
Reply 3
Original post by thomas-cowley
Thanks! That's an interesting interpretation, but what evidence could you give to support it?

Not sure about evidence, but you could say that the slightly surreal ending leaves the audience to make up their minds about what has happened. They would be thinking about the play long after it has finished in order for Priestley's message to be more powerful and long lasting...?
He's called Inspector GOOLE?

Also Sheila says at one point something along the lines of "I don't know. He makes you tell him." - this suggests a God-like quality to the Inspector. There is also a lot of religious imagery that runs throughout the play.
Reply 5
Original post by greenwichvillage
He's called Inspector GOOLE?

Also Sheila says at one point something along the lines of "I don't know. He makes you tell him." - this suggests a God-like quality to the Inspector. There is also a lot of religious imagery that runs throughout the play.

Thanks, but I understand how he's presented as enigmatic, rather I was confused about Priestley's intention.
Original post by thomas-cowley
Thanks, but I understand how he's presented as enigmatic, rather I was confused about Priestley's intention.

I suppose if he was presented as a 'normal' Inspector, it would't cause such a stir within the Birling household. Creating the doubts about the whole investigation divides the Birlings into who will and won't take responsibility, highlighting Priestley's views on social responsibility.

Good luck today!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending