The Student Room Group

WJEC Language 2016 official prediction thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Amulya
He's described as having "God-like eyes" - this could suggest that he's a character with excellent moral conduct.

He has natural authority.

He believes that all people should be treated fairly no matter where they are in society.

He's the "jerkline skinner" - he's someone that's looked up to by many people. This could also suggest that he's achieved his dream as he has a positive identity and has achieved prosperity.\

"...he moved with a majesty only achieved by royalty and master" - Movements are royal. He's also referred to as the "prince of the ranch" - well respected and has a lot of importance.

I know they're only a few points but I hope they help!

okay, thank you so much :biggrin: do you have any idea how many quotations we should include in the essay question?
What do you people think then for OMAM? Character and theme question?
Reply 122
Original post by penguinstudies
okay, thank you so much :biggrin: do you have any idea how many quotations we should include in the essay question?

No problem. And honestly I'm not so sure but I remember my English teacher saying to use a minimum of 4 quotes I think. I think you should just use quotes when possible and when necessary
Original post by NoodleGCSEFOOD
What do you people think then for OMAM? Character and theme question?

i'm thinking for a character question it could be slim, george, lennie or curely's wife
for a theme question maybe powerlessness or isolation?
Original post by Englishlitlover
In the exam tomorrow I'm doing TKAM, any predictions for the essay questions?

They've done a lot about women recently, yet this year ( January) they did Jem. I'd revise Boo Radley, Atticus and Dill.
My teacher reckons a question on Carlson could possibly come up
Original post by HarryGCSE
Slim represents Steinbeck because Slim doesn't get caught up in the idea of the American Dream and Steinbeck is critical of the the American Dream believing it offers false hope.

Slim also isn't disrespectful to Curley's Wife, giving her attention and acknowledging her as "good looking" -- unlike the other ranch works -- so Steinbeck could believe that women don't deserve to be discriminated against.

Despite Slim being the "prince of the ranch", he is infact lonely, as seen when he plays Solitaire (a game for one). This emphasises the exteme loneliness experienced during the Great Depression, no matter where you stand in the social heirarchy.

Do you have a quote for slim playing solitaire? I can only find george.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 127
Original post by Anonymous20000
Do you have a quote for slim playing solitaire? I can only find george.

I think it is George who plays and not slim. However there are other things to support his loneliness for example, he understands George and lennies friendship and the reasons behind it

Posted from TSR Mobile
AHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHA HAVENT READ THE BOOK AHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA F M L :smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile: didn't even read OMAM in class what do i do o m l
Original post by TracyEmu
What contextual points could you make on Aunt Clara?? She is a really minor character in the novella. Any thoughts?

Not sure about you but we've been told that basically if anything comes up about women/ sexism to ONLY write about Curley's wife. This is because she is basically the only women in the novel and there are lots of points which you can make on her.
Reply 130
Original post by bethanyjx
AHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHA HAVENT READ THE BOOK AHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA F M L :smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile: didn't even read OMAM in class what do i do o m l

Aha to be fair if you started now you could get through the book in a couple hours and then at least you'd have something to write about

Posted from TSR Mobile
Carlson extract, when he kills the dog possibly?
Original post by bethanyjx

Watch MR BRUFFS Youtube videos, ignore stuff about the exam because he does AQA but watch his videos about characters and the content. They are so useful! https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLqGFsWf-P-cC2JbnhAw88geP1FSkNAcb6
Original post by jasmine_cannon
Not sure about you but we've been told that basically if anything comes up about women/ sexism to ONLY write about Curley's wife. This is because she is basically the only women in the novel and there are lots of points which you can make on her.

Are you sure its okay to do that?
Original post by Lucas3
I pray for crooks or lennie! if slim comes up i will cry

I really really hope that Slim/ Carslon don't come up
I'd say Slim will most likely come up, here's a quick helpful video I found on how to structure an answer around him: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkoonsMuxbA
Original post by rebbarn29

Pretty certain, as long as you have lots of points and quotes on Curley's wife you sould be fine. You could make reference to how the women in the cat house are also objectified but we've been told to concentrate on Curley's wife- there's so much to write about her so really hoping she comes up!!
Original post by jasmine_cannon
Pretty certain, as long as you have lots of points and quotes on Curley's wife you sould be fine. You could make reference to how the women in the cat house are also objectified but we've been told to concentrate on Curley's wife- there's so much to write about her so really hoping she comes up!!

Okay thank you, I'm praying this comes up as I could write so much about her!!
Original post by MBK14
I really do believe Slim could come up he shows us lots about society. He shows us loneliness, he shows what the ideal migrant worker would be like, he shows us how the disabled and women should be treated in contrast to the way the others behave.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How does Slim show all those are there any quotes or extracts where he shows those?
Reply 139
Original post by rebbarn29

If you wan't some points for Aunt Clara, you could say:

The novel's portrayal of her is one that contrasts the negative view the ranch hands have of women in general.

George also expresses respect for her as she's passed on the responsibility of looking after Lennie to George.

She's seen as a vision of wholesome femininity from a more innocent age.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending