The Student Room Group

Why do closeted transgender people feel the need to crossdress?

I know people who are like this person on my facebook. I keep coming across a facebook friend who posted some struggle she's having with family that doesn't accept her or whatever. Well she went into her history and on how she'd crossdress in private. Now I have gone to translation groups and heard story after story about the same ****ing thing. But I don't get it. Why would someone crossdress in private? What does that solve? But I have known a lot of people like her. Like in a sense I have known since 12 that something was off. Feeling like I was not much like girls my age. I gravitated towards the opposite sex since I was a young girl like before I was in kindergarten. By 12 I realized I was more like many boys my age than girls. But what I never understood was the clothing? I was raised with a single mom. I have a different background very little human interaction I realized as a child I wasn't quite like my female friend and was more like my male cousin and generally that's where I've always found myself no matter what. As I got older it was the same. I didn't realize it exactly for what it was until I was 12. By then I had a female body C cup boobs most likely and a period. I didn't like that too much. But it was like why not make the most of it? What I don't get is stuff like wanting to wear an article of clothing? Like with transwomen I have heard quite a few that had a huge desire to wear them etc... I never understood why. Like that doesn't seem to do with socially not being in line with what is expected of a woman or a man. And I have known this one person for a brief time was always clingy to the dresses. And you see that in many of the groups with the women. I have heard transmen all repulsed by wearing a dress. And I have heard people do this in hiding. I don't get what the reason is. It makes not much sense to me. I don't really like dresses. Never did. But pants won't make me get a penis grow tall or get a deep male voice. I'm just going to be me in pants. I am not repulsed by dresses though in themselves. I don't get why some transgender people do that in hiding? What does that even mean? I mean when I'm alone I actually am nude as no one is home what's the point of wearing anything. I don't get why someone would crossdress in private? No one's there.... How does this help anything? What does crossdressing in private do? How does that benefit anything?
(edited 7 years ago)
anyone know?
Reply 2
As a trans guy I admit to absolutely hating dresses. People "crossdress" bc the usual closeted clothes always contribute to how people see you by default cause of stereotypes. Crossdressing in private gives a complete reversal to the stereotypical clothes usually worn and even though they're not seen, these are clothes one would be more comfortable in because they aren't associated with the misgendering and dysphoria met with in day to day closeted life. It comforts the person and because it's in private it can't be commented on negatively by other people. Hope I helped! (I can't tell if you're talking about "crossdressing" as in wearing dresses in private or wearing masc clothes in private but the comfort part applies to both anyway. It's like a coping mechanism I guess)
Original post by Tsukaina
As a trans guy I admit to absolutely hating dresses. People "crossdress" bc the usual closeted clothes always contribute to how people see you by default cause of stereotypes. Crossdressing in private gives a complete reversal to the stereotypical clothes usually worn and even though they're not seen, these are clothes one would be more comfortable in because they aren't associated with the misgendering and dysphoria met with in day to day closeted life. It comforts the person and because it's in private it can't be commented on negatively by other people. Hope I helped! (I can't tell if you're talking about "crossdressing" as in wearing dresses in private or wearing masc clothes in private but the comfort part applies to both anyway. It's like a coping mechanism I guess)

oh I get it. For me the thing is I guess I'm more critical I guess. The person I was talking about I could understand it to some extent since they were so like obese that they didn't seem to have much of a visible sex. I had to be told by someone that they were born a guy so yeah... But I know a lot of women and men that's not at all the case and expressed similar stories of the same hiding and crossdressing. The thing is I like more socially perceived masculine clothing. But like it never did anything really for me. Other than help me ward off creepy guys while getting to my job. But like I always like notice when I'm home alone in the same clothes it doesn't seem to do anything for me because I guess I compare myself to like a guy I find nice looking. And I'm like nothing similar. Since I'm short and small with big boobs. But there are some things when I was skinnier that I liked that had to do with it. Still the clothing never had any baring on it. But I guess it works differently in different people.
Reply 4
Original post by Nickierose21
I know people who are like this person on my facebook. I keep coming across a facebook friend who posted some struggle she's having with family that doesn't accept her or whatever. Well she went into her history and on how she'd crossdress in private. Now I have gone to translation groups and heard story after story about the same ****ing thing. But I don't get it. Why would someone crossdress in private? What does that solve? But I have known a lot of people like her. Like in a sense I have known since 12 that something was off. Feeling like I was not much like girls my age. I gravitated towards the opposite sex since I was a young girl like before I was in kindergarten. By 12 I realized I was more like many boys my age than girls. But what I never understood was the clothing? I was raised with a single mom. I have a different background very little human interaction I realized as a child I wasn't quite like my female friend and was more like my male cousin and generally that's where I've always found myself no matter what. As I got older it was the same. I didn't realize it exactly for what it was until I was 12. By then I had a female body C cup boobs most likely and a period. I didn't like that too much. But it was like why not make the most of it? What I don't get is stuff like wanting to wear an article of clothing? Like with transwomen I have heard quite a few that had a huge desire to wear them etc... I never understood why. Like that doesn't seem to do with socially not being in line with what is expected of a woman or a man. And I have known this one person for a brief time was always clingy to the dresses. And you see that in many of the groups with the women. I have heard transmen all repulsed by wearing a dress. And I have heard people do this in hiding. I don't get what the reason is. It makes not much sense to me. I don't really like dresses. Never did. But pants won't make me get a penis grow tall or get a deep male voice. I'm just going to be me in pants. I am not repulsed by dresses though in themselves. I don't get why some transgender people do that in hiding? What does that even mean? I mean when I'm alone I actually am nude as no one is home what's the point of wearing anything. I don't get why someone would crossdress in private? No one's there.... How does this help anything? What does crossdressing in private do? How does that benefit anything?

Sometimes when I'm in the house all day alone I still like to put make up on (I'm female), may seem pointless but makes me feel better about myself and puts me in a better mood even if no one else will see it. I guess with some trans gender people it gives them a similar sort of boost.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rchilton
Sometimes when I'm in the house all day alone I still like to put make up on (I'm female), may seem pointless but makes me feel better about myself and puts me in a better mood even if no one else will see it. I guess with some trans gender people it gives them a similar sort of boost.

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah I wear make up too especially when my skin is all scarred up. I do it though because I don't like seeing my marks on my face usually after I wash my face and add the spot fader. I'm a bit of a perfectionist at times

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending