The Student Room Group

National 5 Physics 2015-2016

Scroll to see replies

Thank you :smile:
Original post by A+Hunter
From the Marking schemes the SQA like things with decimals in them lol So I'd go with 2.5 However I can't see why they'd mark you down for the other one

Hahahaha okay phew! My spree of silly questions had ended until further notice :biggrin:
Original post by Ethan100
Thank you :smile:

Original post by sameehaiqbal
Hahahaha okay phew! My spree of silly questions had ended until further notice :biggrin:

According to the course notes:

In carrying out calculations and using relationships to solve problems, it is important to giveanswers to an appropriate number of significant figures. This means that the final answer canhave no more significant figures than the value with least number of significant figures used inthe calculation.

Learners should be familiar with the use of scientific notation and this may be used asappropriate when large and small numbers are used in calculations.
"This means that the final answer canhave no more significant figures than the value with least number of significant figures used inthe calculation."

Okay I'm lost again :confused::confused::confused:
If I put all my final answers to calculations at standard of 3 significant figures, am I following what it says above ?
"This means that the final answer canhave no more significant figures than the value with least number of significant figures used inthe calculation."

Okay I'm lost again :confused::confused::confused:

Okay I'll try to explain again :P

Take this question from the 2014 as an example:

The worker has a mass of 80·0 kg and on a particular day absorbs7·2 mJ of energy from the X-ray machine.
Calculate the absorbed dose received by the worker.

So D=E/m
D= 7.2x10-3/80
D = 8.75x10-5

You shouldn't leave you answer as this, Because the max number of sig figs in the question is 2 (7.2x10-3)

So round your answer to either 8.8x10-5 or 9.0x10-5
Okay I'll try to explain again :P

Take this question from the 2014 as an example:

The worker has a mass of 80·0 kg and on a particular day absorbs7·2 mJ of energy from the X-ray machine.
Calculate the absorbed dose received by the worker.

So D=E/m
D= 7.2x10-3/80
D = 8.75x10-5

You shouldn't leave you answer as this, Because the max number of sig figs in the question is 2 (7.2x10-3)

So round your answer to either 8.8x10-5 or 9.0x10-5

Okay I think I understand it now, Hopefully I remember to check the numbers for the exam on Tuesday :P Thanks for helping me !! :biggrin:
Okay I think I understand it now, Hopefully I remember to check the numbers for the exam on Tuesday :P Thanks for helping me !! :biggrin:

Np.

Most the time they'll give you nice easy rounding ones so don't worry too much :biggrin:
Thank you :biggrin:!!!!
What's everyone revising right now?

Waves and Radiation

Doing waves right now, Amplitude,Wavelength, Frequency that stuff :P
Waves and Radiation

Doing waves right now, Amplitude,Wavelength, Frequency that stuff :P

I'm still doing the stupid gas laws. Lol!

After this i'm going to watch the videos Yammy gave and memorise the circuit rules... Dreading it :frown:

Doing Gas laws and power equations
What does everyone think will come up on Tuesday especially regarding the open ended questions?
I think nuclear radiation / some electricity question for the open-ended questions.. :P
(edited 7 years ago)
Thank You :smile:

The most common ones will be kilo, mega, milli and micro, However I'd still go over the ones that @sameehaiqbal posted
Thank You :smile:

The most common ones will be kilo, mega, milli and micro, However I'd still go over the ones that @sameehaiqbal posted

Ignore the deci prefix but the rest are pretty much relevant
If you're having trouble remembering the prefix's theres great mnemonics on this website: https://www.mnemonic-device.com/physics/metric/prefixes-of-the-metric-system/
I've finally learnt the circuit rules :biggrin:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thank you @.Jeff458 :biggrin:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply