The Student Room Group

Can't stop worrying about total drug-resistant infections?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ohgeez
The only myth here is that there is not a maximum sustainable global carrying capacity. 10 Billion is actually way beyond the carrying capacity of the planet because resources are already being depleted at a massive rate.

So either you let population grow unchecked and have a massive die-off at some point or something gets done about it one way or the other through war or some killer disease culls a large part of the population.

This is actually completely ****ing false. Sustainable energy solutions can easily meet the world's power needs. We are well below our potential capacity in food production. This is not to mention the colossal amount of resources that are essentially being wasted or recyclable resources that are degraded. Resource shortages won't go away just because we decrease to whatever population some quack decided was the maximum because the earth explodes. In fact, if our population decreased that much we'd have a massive surplus in production and hey, people would probably start reproducing again. The only really tangible squeeze that doesn't have a viable technology solution at the moment is water.
Original post by the bear
unfortunately our species is programmed for agression & conflict.... it will all end in tears... pretty soon i would suggest :h:

You're uneducated.
Reply 22
Original post by Unkempt_One
This is actually completely ****ing false. Sustainable energy solutions can easily meet the world's power needs. We are well below our potential capacity in food production. This is not to mention the colossal amount of resources that are essentially being wasted or recyclable resources that are degraded. Resource shortages won't go away just because we decrease to whatever population some quack decided was the maximum because the earth explodes. In fact, if our population decreased that much we'd have a massive surplus in production and hey, people would probably start reproducing again. The only really tangible squeeze that doesn't have a viable technology solution at the moment is water.

Desalination and Water Recycling..? Although the solution's aren't as developed as those for food and energy it's certainly not been researched and developed.
Original post by Kaneki
Desalination and Water Recycling..? Although the solution's aren't as developed as those for food and energy it's certainly not been researched and developed.

I am aware of those, I appended 'viable' because I know it's going to take more effort to get that to work.

EDIT: Actually, desalination has made more progress recently than I realized. So water probably won't be a problem in the long term either.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 24

Without fossil fuels we are already beyond carrying capacity. I guess in your head we can sustain a population of 20 Billion on freaking wind.
Reply 25
Original post by ohgeez
Without fossil fuels we are already beyond carrying capacity. I guess in your head we can sustain a population of 20 Billion on freaking wind.

Cough Nuclear Cough
Reply 26
Original post by Kaneki
Cough Nuclear Cough

Lots of probs with nuclear. Besides which fossil fuels have important uses beyond providing energy.
Original post by ohgeez

"M-muh carrying capacity" - overpopulation racists
Reply 28
Original post by ohgeez
Lots of probs with nuclear. Besides which fossil fuels have important uses beyond providing energy.

Also lots of probs with fossil fuels, google climate change and you'll be enlightened.. I don't see your point? In which case we would still be cave men scared to cook food with fire in case it burnt us...
Reply 29
"M-muh carrying capacity" - overpopulation racists

Say what now?
Original post by Drunk Punx
I'm not sure if this is perverse or whatever, but I find it quite amusing that legal drugs could have indirectly contributed to more deaths than their illegal counterparts some time after 2050.

Worst case scenario, obviously. And not entirely relevant. But worth a mention for some reason or another.

I'm not sure how you reason that legal drugs are contributing to deaths. Legal drugs are preventing infections from killing us now. They may cease to be able to do that eventually, by which point the infections will begin to kill us. Under no circumstances do the drugs kill anyone.
Anyhow the take-away from this is that overpopulation is not a problem but if new antibiotics aren't developed we'll probably all die. :smile:
You're uneducated.

you are misinformed :h:
Original post by the bear
you are misinformed :h:

On your side: Quacks, environmentalists and people who know nothing about economics.
On my side: Scientists, engineers, innovators and rich philanthropists.

It's not really a contest to be honest.
On your side: Quacks, environmentalists and people who know nothing about economics.
On my side: Scientists, engineers, innovators and rich philanthropists.

On your side: you

On my side: me

Original post by anosmianAcrimony
I'm not sure how you reason that legal drugs are contributing to deaths. Legal drugs are preventing infections from killing us now. They may cease to be able to do that eventually, by which point the infections will begin to kill us. Under no circumstances do the drugs kill anyone.

Again, I didn't say that they kill anyone, I said that they "indirectly contribute" towards the death toll as a result of their existence.

Also worth mentioning is that I wasn't being entirely serious, as my first post on here wasn't really relevant to the topic at hand (and I believe I said as much within the same post).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending