The Student Room Group

WJEC Language 2016 official prediction thread

Scroll to see replies

I'm so gutted that last summer was the harsh world essay question for Of Mice and Men... That would have been great! Here's hoping for a Curley's Wife/Crooks/dreams essay!

I did unit two last year and got an A, but am resitting for an A*. Any advice on how to get the top grade?
Original post by Amulya
If you wan't some points for Aunt Clara, you could say:

The novel's portrayal of her is one that contrasts the negative view the ranch hands have of women in general.

George also expresses respect for her as she's passed on the responsibility of looking after Lennie to George.

She's seen as a vision of wholesome femininity from a more innocent age.

Thank you, these are great!
Reply 142
anyone doing heroes and hobsons choice for unit 2 ??
Reply 143
Original post by Becks_J
I'm so gutted that last summer was the harsh world essay question for Of Mice and Men... That would have been great! Here's hoping for a Curley's Wife/Crooks/dreams essay!

I did unit two last year and got an A, but am resitting for an A*. Any advice on how to get the top grade?

I hated that question it was just so vague. What texts do you study for Unjt 2

Posted from TSR Mobile
Slim shows us loneliness, he shows what the ideal migrant worker would be like, he shows us how the disabled and women should be treated in contrast to the way the others behave. How does he though ? Which extracts,quotes ?
Original post by bethanyjx
AHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHA HAVENT READ THE BOOK AHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA F M L :smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile: didn't even read OMAM in class what do i do o m l

If in doubt, watch a YouTube video with a synopsis of the story.
Yh am doing heroes only and an inspector calls
Original post by nisha.sri
Slim shows us loneliness, he shows what the ideal migrant worker would be like, he shows us how the disabled and women should be treated in contrast to the way the others behave. How does he though ? Which extracts,quotes ?

He says to CW: "Hi good-lookin'', which is quite unusual bearing in mind the mistreatment she receives from the other men. This could show Steinbeck's notion that he feels women should be treated in a nicer way. In this respect, Slim is the 'ideal' rancher. He further says, at the end of the novella: "Curley, I think you better stay here with your wife", therefore showing the respect he has for women.

You could argue that when he says "I don't like to play ever' night" (with reference to the horseshoe game, I believe), this perhaps shows his loneliness as he's left out. Looking into the deeper meaning of this, a "horseshoe" is symbolic of fate. Therefore, perhaps Slim does not want to get involved with 'playing' with this fate, as he's wise enough to realise that this could get him in a mess.

That's my interpretation, anyway. Hope it helped at least a little!
Reply 148

He says to Curley's Wife, "Hey beautiful" - doesn't think that women should be mistreated

He walks into Crooks room - this shows that he's a man ready to form relationships even with the lowest people in society
For everyone worried about Slim, heres something my teacher gave us...
Original post by rebbarn29
For everyone worried about Slim, heres something my teacher gave us...

This is SO, SO useful! Thanks!
Original post by SophFlorence
This is SO, SO useful! Thanks!

No problem!!
Original post by Amulya
He says to Curley's Wife, "Hey beautiful" - doesn't think that women should be mistreated

He walks into Crooks room - this shows that he's a man ready to form relationships even with the lowest people in society

He says to CW: "Hi good-lookin'', which is quite unusual bearing in mind the mistreatment she receives from the other men. This could show Steinbeck's notion that he feels women should be treated in a nicer way. In this respect, Slim is the 'ideal' rancher. He further says, at the end of the novella: "Curley, I think you better stay here with your wife", therefore showing the respect he has for women.

You could argue that when he says "I don't like to play ever' night" (with reference to the horseshoe game, I believe), this perhaps shows his loneliness as he's left out. Looking into the deeper meaning of this, a "horseshoe" is symbolic of fate. Therefore, perhaps Slim does not want to get involved with 'playing' with this fate, as he's wise enough to realise that this could get him in a mess.

That's my interpretation, anyway. Hope it helped at least a little!

Thanks for your help guys !! :biggrin:
What are your predictions ? Also,what is the question you think would come up ?
I would say How is Slim presented/important to the novel as a whole

You're welcome! It actually helped me to write that up to be honest, as it allowed me to gather my thoughts! Haha:smile: So, thank you, too!:biggrin: I personally think Slim would be a really nice one to write about. Although he doesn't frequently appear in the novella, there are some really great quotes to use for him, which definitely have a contextual link. It is for that reason that I actually think it's quite possible he could be the one... so yes, I totally agree with you!

Have a look at this document
Does anyone have any really good A* analysis points about George, I'm really struggling to find any?

You're welcome! It actually helped me to write that up to be honest, as it allowed me to gather my thoughts! Haha:smile: So, thank you, too!:biggrin: I personally think Slim would be a really nice one to write about. Although he doesn't frequently appear in the novella, there are some really great quotes to use for him, which definitely have a contextual link. It is for that reason that I actually think it's quite possible he could be the one... so yes, I totally agree with you!

:biggrin: No worries :smile: I've seen a lot of people from different board like AQA,Edexcel saying that it's likely to be Slim. I just really really hope he comes :wink:
How are you revising for English Lit ?
Original post by rebbarn29
Have a look at this document

Thank you !! :biggrin:
Do you think Carlson may come up ?
(edited 7 years ago)
:biggrin: No worries :smile: I've seen a lot of people from different board like AQA,Edexcel saying that it's likely to be Slim. I just really really hope he comes :wink:
How are you revising for English Lit ?

Yes, totally, I'm with the exam board WJEC, and people think it could be Slim, too. Same here, to be honest. He'd be great! I've personally made tonnes of mind-maps with all my analysations. However, this is, in my opinion, too much to revise from when you want to remember/cram in the really 'important stuff'. So, what I've done is made one sheet, dedicated to each character, consisting of what I consider to be the really important quotes. I've typed these quotes in difference colours and varied fonts, as I find them easier to individually visualise that way. Then I've got my mum/dad to say the start of the quote, and make me recall the rest, until I can recite the whole quote on my own. It works a treat! Well, at least, I hope it will for the exam....Haha :biggrin: How about you?
Original post by Becks_J

Same! I did it for a mock and got A*. Hopefully another 2 favourable questions come our way.

Quick Reply