The Student Room Group

GCSE English Literature - Unit 1 (AQA Only) - 23rd May 2015

This poll is closed

What novels/plays/anthologies are you studying for this exam?

Sunlight on the Grass 5%
Lord of the Flies 6%
Martyn Pig 1%
The Woman in Black 4%
Touching the Void 1%
Under Milk Wood 0%
The Crucible 5%
Kindertransport 0%
An Inspector Calls 28%
DNA 2%
Of Mice and Men 39%
Purple Hibiscus 1%
Mister Pip 1%
To Kill a Mockingbird 8%
Rabbit-Proof Fence0%
Total votes: 170
Official GCSE AQA English Literature Unit 1 (Exploring Modern Texts) Exam Discussion Thread

Date: 23/05/2015

Time: 8:30 AM

Duration: 1h 30m

Hello and welcome to the GCSE English Literature (Unit 1 - Exploring Modern Texts) Exam Discussion Thread (Official). On this thread, you can discuss any questions regarding the upcoming exam and predictions on what questions can come up etc. It'd be great if anyone posts revision sources that they use to revise.

This thread can be used to discuss any novel or play that is a part of Unit 1, whether it's Lord or the Flies, Sunlight on the Grass or Of Mice and Men - as long as it's Unit 1.

If you want me to make the prediction on this post of the thread, you have to quote me in your post please so I know.

I am doing Of Mice and Men and 'An Inspector Calls' so it'd be great if you can post revision sources for either of those, in fact any resources related to this exam.

Remember: Please do not talk about Unit 2 or Poetry in this thread, I will make a separate thread for that tomorrow.

Predictions.jpg

Lastly, I am going to create a poll on which book or novel or anthology you guys are studying, the minority will be removed from the OP of this thread - so we are only focusing on the play and novels that the majority are doing. However, you can still post and talk about anything related to Unit 1 in this thread, even if I removed it from the spoilers (Prediction/Resources) part.

Section A:

Sunlight on the Grass

Spoiler

Lord of the Flies

Spoiler

The Crucible

Spoiler

An Inspector Calls

Spoiler

DNA

Spoiler

Section B:

Of Mice and Men

Spoiler

To Kill a Mockingbird

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Chittesh14
Official GCSE AQA English Literature Unit 1 (Exploring Modern Texts) Exam Discussion Thread

what do you predict for the short stories? and for the part A and B of mice and men
Reply 2
Here are my own notes made on 'An Inspector Calls'.

I shouldn't say my own notes - it's a collection of thousand of resources copied together into 1 document!
I haven't even written them in my own words -_- don't even know how I'll remember them.

EDIT: The file is too large to be uploaded so I guess I'll have to find a different way.
what is the basic structure would you say for answering Section A Part A, the 30 marker? idk how to structure my essay.
intro is obviously first but idk how many paragraphs and stuff
Original post by Chittesh14

Hello, do you have any rough idea on what will be coming up on 'Of Mice and Men'?
(BTW: My notes on DNA are at http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4108525 if anyone else is doing DNA - Dennis Kelly
I can't find many threads on it! )

My notes for OMAM are huge, I could copy and paste some of them however it would take forever.
Meanwhile, let's not forget the title's meaning to Of Mice And Men; there's always a lot of significance to that:
v Thetitle is related to the poem “To a Mouse” by Robert Burns.o [The title of the book] is a quotationfrom the poem:
The best laid schemes o' Mice an' Men,
Gang aft agley,
An' lea'e us nought but grief an' pain,
For promis'd joy!”
o 18th century Scottish poemo The mouse had dreamed of a safewinter but instead is cold, and having to begin to face death. A mouse is adefenceless creature.
Parallel: George and Lennie's dream of living on a small farm of their own isdestroyed. It also suggests that our lives are unpredictable and exposed tomisfortune, so we can link it to the poem.�t���
Is anyone else doing 'The Crucible' and 'To Kill a Mockingbird'? I have no idea what to revise in particular, so I'm just going over the LitChart notes
anyone doing the crucible and of mice and men any predictions for characters in either of them?? it would really help
Original post by Mani_McCorry
anyone doing the crucible and of mice and men any predictions for characters in either of them?? it would really help

21/05/2016: Unit 1 predictions
These are predictions of themes/characters that the majority believe may be tested this year - take them seriously but revise other areas of your play/novel
You may notice some are more detailed than others. The predictions below are what has been said on this thread for the past month or so, the more popular texts have more responses.

Of Mice and Men: shooting of Candy's dog (Carlson), Curley, American dream, Masculinity

Purple Hibiscus: violence

The crucible: Elizabeth Proctor, Rebecca Nurse

An Inspector calls: The Inspector, Sheila/Eric, Gerald, Young and Old

Lord of Flies: no responses found

Sunlight on the grass: ^

To kill a mocking bird: Aticus, attitudes to Maycomb

Source: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3941581
Reply 9
Martyn Pig, The Woman in Black, Touching the Void, Under Milk Wood, Kindertransport, Purple Hibiscus,Mister Pip and Rabbit-Proof Fence are being removed from the spoiler list.
Original post by livjefferiesxo
what is the basic structure would you say for answering Section A Part A, the 30 marker? idk how to structure my essay.
intro is obviously first but idk how many paragraphs and stuff

I don't know myself. But, since it's 45 minutes.
I would say at least an introduction (Para 1), 3 strong paragraphs and a conclusion (Para 5).

So, 5 paragraphs in total.
Original post by jazz_xox_
what do you predict for the short stories? and for the part A and B of mice and men

I think for the Foundation paper, it might be Slim/Carlson.
Again for the higher paper, since there are not many extracts - it might be Candy's dog's death.
i think candys dogs death will come up tomorrow any ideas of what to write if this does come up?
Original post by tomsmith111
i think candys dogs death will come up tomorrow any ideas of what to write if this does come up?

I'm pretty sure the question will be like 'How does Steinbeck present the death of Candy's dog?' lol literally..
If that's the case, just look at the passage.
The whole question, whatever it is, will have to be answered by referring to the passage - so it's hard to help.
Reply 14
My guesses for Of Mice and Men:
Section A:
- Candy's dog
- Curley
Section B:
- Hierarchy

- Simon
- Roger
- The Conch
In case anyone needs it, the LitCharts for The Crucible and TKaM. I had it before they asked for subscriptions, and I thought I might as well share it here. Good luck for tomorrow everyone ^-^

Attachments removed as they are copyright material
Original post by alexdt300
x

Edit the post for the second part, you wrote OMAM for both :P.

Btw, what do you mean by hierarchy like write an example of the question please
Original post by tomsmith111

Doubt it, that question's already come up. Nevertheless, just in case you're right here are some ideas:

Discuss the theme of the brutality of ranch life. Comment on how, despite being a minor character, Slim is always present during all the major events of the book and acts as a voice of reason whilst Carlson is always linked to the cause of death and the most eager to eradicate weakness.

Candy's dog is old and crippled; it reflects Candy himself, Candy's reluctance to kill his dog could not only be due to the attachment he has to the animal, but out of fear as he knows that the time he has left being considered useful is running out, and that one day he too, will be removed from the ranch as he no longer benefits others.

Carlson saying he'll shoot the dog in the back of the head and that it won't even quiver is foreshadowing to Lennie's death; George shoots Lennie in the back of the head and he is described to not even quiver.

Hope this helped you.
Reply 18
DOES anybody and their f u c k i n g grandma do ALL MY SONS?
hi guys i know its late but if you need revision advice i found a channel on YouTube which is quite helpful, he's called Ryhan Hussain https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg2u5o5dvS5iIu74rRO5x1w

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending