The Student Room Group

AQA Certificate (iGCSE) in English Literature - Monday 23rd May 2016 [OFFICIAL] Threa

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 1jonam16
No clue tbh, what have ur teachers said?

My teachers have suggested the different ways love is presented.. I was thinking maybe "individual vs society" too

Can't think of anything apart from that.

As for the characters, if they ask about a minor character like Benvolio or Tybalt I will literally cry in the exam room haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Planetes
I'm doing Romeo and Juliet, my teacher has told me that one of the themes that hasn't come up yet is Death. There was only one other but I can't remember what it was :/

I checked and that was last year's one :frown: (June 2015) if you end up remembering the other one let us know please! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LokiiR
anyone got any notes for a view from the bridhe

I do, but you've probably already got them to be honest xP
Original post by history fanatic
I checked and that was last year's one :frown: (June 2015) if you end up remembering the other one let us know please! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

will they repeat questions?
Reply 24
Anyone know what the question was in jan 2016 for a view from the bridge?
Reply 25
Original post by a987
Anyone know what the question was in jan 2016 for a view from the bridge?

I don't believe they have been doing January papers since 2013 due to small entry numbers
Original post by jamierogers21
Finally found someone doing the same book as me, how do you feel about it?

I feel pretty confident. I hope the questions are open so I can write about various themes - not like the questions last year on Ruth or Norfolk.

I also feel that you can make up a few quotes, because most of the markers will not have heard of the book. Do you have any good quotes?
Original post by Melissa.J.Parkes
I'm doing Romeo & Juliet as the set text too!

How are you revising for it?? I'm so not ready for tomorrow :frown:
Finally someone doing the same text as me :smile: Aren't the grade boundaries really low? Like because of my CW I think I only need a 46 on the exam, which should be fairly straightforward..do you guys have any notes or anything btw?

What did you get in your cw? I dont know what i have to get in the exam to get an A* overall, my cw is 44/50 (A*).
Original post by Paul Atreides
I feel pretty confident. I hope the questions are open so I can write about various themes - not like the questions last year on Ruth or Norfolk.

I also feel that you can make up a few quotes, because most of the markers will not have heard of the book. Do you have any good quotes?

We haven't spent any time on quotes, we've spent all of our time on analysis of themes, especially Chapter 22 and its importance on the whole novel.
Anyone doing Romeo and Juliet? How are you revising for it?

How will you also be approaching the unseen poetry?
does anyone have any help on how to structure your answer to the unseen poetry question? my teacher has taught us basically nothing and we've only analysed 3 different poems in the last two years - in my mock I just wrote about each stanza of the poem in a separate paragraph, but I'm guessing that's not the best way to do it - any advice?x
Original post by goldenusername
What did you get in your cw? I dont know what i have to get in the exam to get an A* overall, my cw is 44/50 (A*).

Mine got moderated and I got 50 :smile: I need about 46, but why are grade boundaries so low?
Original post by miapeters
does anyone have any help on how to structure your answer to the unseen poetry question? my teacher has taught us basically nothing and we've only analysed 3 different poems in the last two years - in my mock I just wrote about each stanza of the poem in a separate paragraph, but I'm guessing that's not the best way to do it - any advice?x

what mark did you get? I got 34 by using the poem as a guide and chronologically progressing though the piece.
What is everyone revising for Romeo and Juliet?

Got Unseen Poetry covered and I'm ready for that, but I'm no where near ready for Romeo and Juliet!

Please help me xo
Original post by alisiaatkins
What is everyone revising for Romeo and Juliet?

Got Unseen Poetry covered and I'm ready for that, but I'm no where near ready for Romeo and Juliet!

Please help me xo

Just learn the characters, but its a bit late now, I guess theres no point
Original post by miapeters

I've found the smile approach on a youtube video, it covers everything you need to comment on in the exam.

S - Structure ( How does it aid the ideas/themes in the poem? )

M - Meaning ( What are the themes/ideas presented in the poem? )

I - Imagery ( How is imagery created by the poet for the reader? )

L - Language ( Why were the words chosen? What techniques are used? (similies, metaphors etc?)

E - Effect on the reader (what effect does the poem have on you?)

If you have any other questions just message me and I'll try help x
Just learn the characters, but its a bit late now, I guess theres no point

I've already done all the characters, are you learning quotes or anything?
Original post by alisiaatkins
I've already done all the characters, are you learning quotes or anything?

I know where most quotes are, realistically you only need like 1 for each character apart from the protagonists themselves. Themes are a bit more dodgy and more difficult I think, but I hope either, time, or love come up, hopefully not light vs dark.
Original post by history fanatic
What do you guys reckon will come up for Romeo and Juliet?

I swear like most of the main themes of the play have already shown up :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have a feeling it could be about how Shakespeare presents male characters in the play so like how they appear superior and in charge of the females etc. i'm just revising scenes in the play like the first Act where Sampson and Gregory talk about women being the weaker vessels and how the quarrel is between the men:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending