The Student Room Group

Autism & Applications

Can I expect a diagnosis of having ASD to affect an application to a university at all? I know they're not allowed to discriminate and are required to make "reasonable" adjustments, but is it something they really care about? Does it weigh in favour or against? I'm planning on applying for Maths/Engineering atm, so I thought maybe they'd like to see that, or at least like to take on a diverse range of students?
Original post by MrMoogle
Can I expect a diagnosis of having ASD to affect an application to a university at all? I know they're not allowed to discriminate and are required to make "reasonable" adjustments, but is it something they really care about? Does it weigh in favour or against? I'm planning on applying for Maths/Engineering atm, so I thought maybe they'd like to see that, or at least like to take on a diverse range of students?

They don't see the disability bit until you're given an offer or so i've been told, if you have interviews (which I dont think you would for maths or engineering) then you may wish to notify them before that, but otherwise it shouldn't have an impact really :smile:
When you do receive an offer, i would recommend declaring it to them then as it can take a while to sort funding for dsa and to get exam arrangements in place, so its better to tell them sooner rather than later.
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
They don't see the disability bit until you're given an offer or so i've been told, if you have interviews (which I dont think you would for maths or engineering) then you may wish to notify them before that, but otherwise it shouldn't have an impact really :smile:
When you do receive an offer, i would recommend declaring it to them then as it can take a while to sort funding for dsa and to get exam arrangements in place, so its better to tell them sooner rather than later.

Oh, I didn't realise I wasn't meant to declare it until the offer section. I assumed they would want to know immediately, much like in the circumstance of driving licenses and such, where it really makes a difference. I appreciate the help. Thank you.
Oh, I didn't realise I wasn't meant to declare it until the offer section. I assumed they would want to know immediately, much like in the circumstance of driving licenses and such, where it really makes a difference. I appreciate the help. Thank you.

Well, if you put it on your ucas application then supposedly they wont see that section until they accept you (not 100% on that though), but declaring is always personal choice, its not like driving licenses where you have to tell them legally.
Universities can see declared disability information from the point an application arrives with them. The information isn't used for selection (and isn't likely to be seen by people making offers) it does mean that your application will be passed to the disability team at the university so they can contact you to check if you need any support or adjustments for the application process (if the course interviews etc) and if you get an offer to make sure any support you need is in place before you arrive on the course. They'll usually explain what sort of support is available and help you navigate claiming DSA if you're likely to be eligible.

When you talk about reasonable adjustments, do you mean once you're at uni, or during the application process?

If your ASD has affected your studies up to this point, and you want that to be taken into account during the application process, just listing the diagnosis on your application won't be enough. You'll also need to ask your referee to explain how this has affected you and maybe submit additional evidence. This may lead to the university giving you a contextual (slightly lower) offer. It's worth bearing in mind that if you don't meet your offer, bringing any issues up on results day won't usually change the university's mind.

Declaring your issues on your application shouldn't affect your chances of getting an offer, unless the uni thinks you really won't cope with the course (even with adjustments), in which case it is better for everyone if they reject you.

Because we don't really have an affirmative action type system in the UK, declaring your disability alone won't usually make you more likely to get an offer than you otherwise would have been.

Once you are at university, you may be able to get additional support via DSA, as well as special arrangements for exams (extra time, private room, on a computer etc). Support can include things like a mentor to help you with things like time management and organization or a note taker if you struggle to concentrate and take notes in lectures. You may also be able to get some help with accommodation costs if you need a certain kind of accommodation due to your disability.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending