The Student Room Group

WJEC Language 2016 official prediction thread

Scroll to see replies

Could you please send me some off ur work as I'm also doing wjec of mice and men it would be really grate if u did send it to me on Instagram my username is Julekha_d
Original post by SophFlorence
Yes, totally, I'm with the exam board WJEC, and people think it could be Slim, too. Same here, to be honest. He'd be great! I've personally made tonnes of mind-maps with all my analysations. However, this is, in my opinion, too much to revise from when you want to remember/cram in the really 'important stuff'. So, what I've done is made one sheet, dedicated to each character, consisting of what I consider to be the really important quotes. I've typed these quotes in difference colours and varied fonts, as I find them easier to individually visualise that way. Then I've got my mum/dad to say the start of the quote, and make me recall the rest, until I can recite the whole quote on my own. It works a treat! Well, at least, I hope it will for the exam....Haha :biggrin: How about you?

Is yours open book ? Mine's not - even worse !! Haha i really like him too and Crooks :biggrin:
What i've done is typed up all the questions there has been on OMAM and the ones there hasn't. I predicted some too so i've been practising those too. I don't really like making things like posters and mind maps - i find them messy :tongue:
So, i get flashcards and i write quotes on them which i've highlighted and stuff :biggrin: i usually talk to myself / an imaginary person when i memorise quotes.It really helps me !! I ask my sister to test me but she's too picky and she hasn't got time so i do them myself :biggrin: My parents haven't got time either :wink:
Good luck i'm sure you'll get an A* :smile: I'm aiming for an A. I must say English Lit is my weakest subject. How are you revising for Poetry ?
Original post by TracyEmu
WJEC English literature unit 1: Monday 23 May
WJEC English literature unit 2: Friday 27 May
WJEC English language unit 1 & 2 : Tuesday 7 June

For English literature, I am studying Of Mice And Men and unseen poetry, A Christmas Carol and Blood Brothers.
What are your predictions on the Essay questions for 2016? Any tactics for answering the unseen poetry response?

What are your predictions on the English language unit 2 writing exam questions?

I'm doing the exact same books!!!!!
Curley's wife hasn't ever been mentioned in any questions for OMAM
Original post by nisha.sri
Is yours open book ? Mine's not - even worse !! Haha i really like him too and Crooks :biggrin:
What i've done is typed up all the questions there has been on OMAM and the ones there hasn't. I predicted some too so i've been practising those too. I don't really like making things like posters and mind maps - i find them messy :tongue:
So, i get flashcards and i write quotes on them which i've highlighted and stuff :biggrin: i usually talk to myself / an imaginary person when i memorise quotes.It really helps me !! I ask my sister to test me but she's too picky and she hasn't got time so i do them myself :biggrin: My parents haven't got time either :wink:
Good luck i'm sure you'll get an A* :smile: I'm aiming for an A. I must say English Lit is my weakest subject. How are you revising for Poetry ?

Yes yes yes! Crooks is great, too! I partially envy the way you've revise; it sounds more like it'd suit me. But, oh well, too late now- exam's tomorrow! Thank you, that's the grade I'd love. Aw, I'm sure you could get an A*; aim for the stars, as they say! Haha.:biggrin: :wink:

I have to admit that for poetry all I've done is listened VERY hard in lessons, and just done some practice exam questions. I feel there's not much else you can do. Actually, though, I have been reading poetry in general in my free time too, which is helpful for working out the main message of the poem/s in the exam! How about you?

And sorry, forgot to add; mine isn't open book either! AHH. That's why I've mainly focused on learning the quotes to be honest.
i thought curleys wife came up in january! Does anyone have any predictions for the theme questions and also for the books a inspector calls and Heroes?
Reply 167
I've just found a past paper essay question which says 'How is the character of Crooks important to the novel as a whole?' But I can only think about writing about Racism and isolation/loneliness. What else could I say?
Yes yes yes! Crooks is great, too! I partially envy the way you've revise; it sounds more like it'd suit me. But, oh well, too late now- exam's tomorrow! Thank you, that's the grade I'd love. Aw, I'm sure you could get an A*; aim for the stars, as they say! Haha.:biggrin: :wink:

I have to admit that for poetry all I've done is listened VERY hard in lessons, and just done some practice exam questions. I feel there's not much else you can do. Actually, though, I have been reading poetry in general in my free time too, which is helpful for working out the main message of the poem/s in the exam! How about you?

Which characters would you love if it came up ? I like CW.
I would say that but English Lit is the worst thing ever !
I analyse poems and watch videos :smile:
Aw that's a shame and yeh without an open book you have to memorise quotes. Also what is the mark to get an A in UNIT 1
Original post by mathooo
i thought curleys wife came up in january! Does anyone have any predictions for the theme questions and also for the books a inspector calls and Heroes?

Dreams,Isolation ?!
Which characters would you love if it came up ? I like CW.
I would say that but English Lit is the worst thing ever !
I analyse poems and watch videos :smile:
Aw that's a shame and yeh without an open book you have to memorise quotes. Also what is the mark to get an A in UNIT 1

Ah, I personally love English Lit. Me too actually, videos are great!
I'm afraid I don't know for certain what the mark is for an A; perhaps 16/20?
Ah, I personally love English Lit. Me too actually, videos are great!
I'm afraid I don't know for certain what the mark is for an A; perhaps 16/20?

Oh ok :smile: Thank you :biggrin:
Same i was afraid too :smile: If the question was How is slim important to the novel as a whole ? What would you mention ?
Reply 172
Original post by TracyEmu
I think He represent the ideal character that all the itinerant workers wanted to be in the sense that he is respected and looked up to and has authority. His qualities is what Curley desires as he is the boss's son but is mot respected. He lacks the qualities to govern others

I don't think being the ideal character is relevant to the context. I think the question is going to be something like, 'How is the title OMAM relevant to the text' or something like, 'Guys like us are the loneliest....' how far do you agree with this statement.....
Thanks! also does anyone have a quote for when Curley's wife dies?
Reply 174
What would you suggest writing if an essay question came up on George and Lennies relationship/friendship?
Oh ok :smile: Thank you :biggrin:
Same i was afraid too :smile: If the question was How is slim important to the novel as a whole ? What would you mention ?

I'd personally mention his God-like qualities, and how he's a great judge of character. I'd also mention his loneliness/ exclusion from the American Dream. Finally, I'd talk about his friendliness.
Original post by mathooo
Thanks! also does anyone have a quote for when Curley's wife dies?

"The ache for attention" was gone from her face.

She "flopped like a fish"- THIS IS PROBABLY ONE OF THE BEST ONES FOR HER DEATH! :biggrin:
"The ache for attention" was gone from her face.

She "flopped like a fish"- THIS IS PROBABLY ONE OF THE BEST ONES FOR HER DEATH! :biggrin:

why is she flopped like a fish' good??????? I mean like how would i analyse that?
He says to CW: "Hi good-lookin'', which is quite unusual bearing in mind the mistreatment she receives from the other men. This could show Steinbeck's notion that he feels women should be treated in a nicer way. In this respect, Slim is the 'ideal' rancher. He further says, at the end of the novella: "Curley, I think you better stay here with your wife", therefore showing the respect he has for women.

You could argue that when he says "I don't like to play ever' night" (with reference to the horseshoe game, I believe), this perhaps shows his loneliness as he's left out. Looking into the deeper meaning of this, a "horseshoe" is symbolic of fate. Therefore, perhaps Slim does not want to get involved with 'playing' with this fate, as he's wise enough to realise that this could get him in a mess.

That's my interpretation, anyway. Hope it helped at least a little!

Woahhhh that end part about the horse shoe was so deep!! Well done!! I'll be using that if slim comes up haha!!
I'd personally mention his God-like qualities, and how he's a great judge of character. I'd also mention his loneliness/ exclusion from the American Dream. Finally, I'd talk about his friendliness.

I would do the same, what about his features and all that ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending