The Student Room Group

Which one to choose?

Hello guys, this is my first time posting on TSR.

Anyway..I need serious help and was wondering if the people here could guide me. Basically I take 4 subjects in AS. Biology, Chemistry, Maths & Geography.

I am done with the Geography exam (Edexcel, nailed it) and finished Math C1 (edexcel) was a disaster. I now have 3 upcoming exams - C2, Biology paper 1 & Chemistry paper 1 (both sciences are AQA).

I am generally good in Biology but struggle with How science work questions.. and for Chemistry.. Well I just did the AQA Chemistry specimen paper & it was an absolute disaster. I am feeling so worried, I think I'm going to get terrible. And I also have Biology to focus on.

So anyway..with the little time I have left...which subject should I give up on Biology or Chemistry? I think if I keep studying both, I'll be bound to get bad results. I prefer an A & a U over 2 Ds.

Thank you for reading guys, I hope you guys can help me.
Original post by nightlytimed
Hello guys, this is my first time posting on TSR.

Anyway..I need serious help and was wondering if the people here could guide me. Basically I take 4 subjects in AS. Biology, Chemistry, Maths & Geography.

I am done with the Geography exam (Edexcel, nailed it) and finished Math C1 (edexcel) was a disaster. I now have 3 upcoming exams - C2, Biology paper 1 & Chemistry paper 1 (both sciences are AQA).

I am generally good in Biology but struggle with How science work questions.. and for Chemistry.. Well I just did the AQA Chemistry specimen paper & it was an absolute disaster. I am feeling so worried, I think I'm going to get terrible. And I also have Biology to focus on.

So anyway..with the little time I have left...which subject should I give up on Biology or Chemistry? I think if I keep studying both, I'll be bound to get bad results. I prefer an A & a U over 2 Ds.

Thank you for reading guys, I hope you guys can help me.

Well you seem to be better at Biology, so drop Chemistry. You just need to learn how to answer the "how science works" questions and you should be fine with Bio. From what you've said, if you have struggled with the whole Chemistry paper instead of just one section (like Biology) then Chem seems like your weakest subject.
Reply 2
Original post by george_c00per
Well you seem to be better at Biology, so drop Chemistry. You just need to learn how to answer the "how science works" questions and you should be fine with Bio. From what you've said, if you have struggled with the whole Chemistry paper instead of just one section (like Biology) then Chem seems like your weakest subject.

I think so as well. Struggled at Chemistry + with the change of specification.

Thanks a lot for replying kind sir. I appreciate it.
I think so as well. Struggled at Chemistry + with the change of specification.

Thanks a lot for replying kind sir. I appreciate it.

Haha no problem :smile: Do you know what you want to do after college (in terms of uni courses if you're interested in going to university?)
Reply 4
Haha no problem :smile: Do you know what you want to do after college (in terms of uni courses if you're interested in going to university?)

Yeah I'm planning to study Business administration. What a fail set of subjects I took though! :frown: Chemistry and Biology were clearly a mistake and I probably do not even need them to do Business.

What about you? What are you planning to study?
Yeah I'm planning to study Business administration. What a fail set of subjects I took though! :frown: Chemistry and Biology were clearly a mistake and I probably do not even need them to do Business.

What about you? What are you planning to study?

Don't count them as mistakes! A science A Level shows that you have rigour and logic, which are helpful for most uni courses:tongue:

Maybe something in the language/history/politics section, I haven't even finished my GCSEs yet though so I need to see if I enjoy them at a higher level in order to decide what I want to do in the future :biggrin: Chances are I'll do languages however.
Reply 6
Yeah. A level sciences are definitely a challenge. They are one of the hardest subjects in A levels if not the hardest subjects. :biggrin:

Yeah you still have time, make your choice extremely wisely. :biggrin: Sciences can also be tough but extremely rewarding if you do well. Good luck in whatever you decide though! :biggrin:
Yeah. A level sciences are definitely a challenge. They are one of the hardest subjects in A levels if not the hardest subjects. :biggrin:

Yeah you still have time, make your choice extremely wisely. :biggrin: Sciences can also be tough but extremely rewarding if you do well. Good luck in whatever you decide though! :biggrin:

That's what I'm attempting to do atm, I'm lucky as I've had the "are my choices the correct ones?" crisis before my A Levels whereas most people have them during doing them :colondollar: I'm trying to be as open as possible with my choices, I even thought about doing Biology at one point but I don't think I'd be able to cope with it on top of History and two languages. Apart from the questions you get stuck on, how do you find it? Is it a big step up from GCSEs?

Thank you! Hopefully I'll find luck if I choose the right ones :tongue:
Reply 8
That's what I'm attempting to do atm, I'm lucky as I've had the "are my choices the correct ones?" crisis before my A Levels whereas most people have them during doing them :colondollar: I'm trying to be as open as possible with my choices, I even thought about doing Biology at one point but I don't think I'd be able to cope with it on top of History and two languages. Apart from the questions you get stuck on, how do you find it? Is it a big step up from GCSEs?

Thank you! Hopefully I'll find luck if I choose the right ones :tongue:

I previously did CIE Biology, and then went on to do Human Biology in AS. Mid way through the year in Feb we switched to Normal Biology which was a disaster for me, and I felt that this was because of the teacher being careless. Anyway... it is not a huge jump and I think you will actually find it more interesting. The papers will try to apply your understand to different situations (how science works) and this can be really tricky but otherwise if you know your content, you'll do fine.
I previously did CIE Biology, and then went on to do Human Biology in AS. Mid way through the year in Feb we switched to Normal Biology which was a disaster for me, and I felt that this was because of the teacher being careless. Anyway... it is not a huge jump and I think you will actually find it more interesting. The papers will try to apply your understand to different situations (how science works) and this can be really tricky but otherwise if you know your content, you'll do fine.

Wow, I can't believe they pretty much switched your course only a few months from your AS levels! That's pretty bad for the students, I bet that was stressful af.

Yeah, I find Biology much easier to the other two sciences as I can apply at least some common sense to it, however whether that can be done at A Level I don't know. When I was doing past papers for revision, I found the questions relatively straight forward, and the actual exam was great so hopefully I can get a decent mark (but I do Dual, so my other science grades affect it and I can't do Chemistry to save my life and the exam didn't go great either lmao oops help). I've also looked at the Edexcel Papers which is the exam board I'd sit and the questions are literally identical to GCSE just on topics I'm not familiar with. :colone:
Wow, I can't believe they pretty much switched your course only a few months from your AS levels! That's pretty bad for the students, I bet that was stressful af.

Yeah, I find Biology much easier to the other two sciences as I can apply at least some common sense to it, however whether that can be done at A Level I don't know. When I was doing past papers for revision, I found the questions relatively straight forward, and the actual exam was great so hopefully I can get a decent mark (but I do Dual, so my other science grades affect it and I can't do Chemistry to save my life and the exam didn't go great either lmao oops help). I've also looked at the Edexcel Papers which is the exam board I'd sit and the questions are literally identical to GCSE just on topics I'm not familiar with. :colone:

Yeah my friends were so pissed because they had to start making notes from scratch. But I did not even start making any notes. So I ended up making notes for the normal Biology syllabus anyway ... well for the important topics anyway.

It was not stressful for me because I did not know **** about Bio before.. but I did feel that the teacher was ****ing stupid. Biology is a lot more concept related..while Chemistry is a lot of memorizing and hardcore concepts. Bio is more appealing to people who understand.. most of my friends who take Physics hate it. Same as I hate Physics. So yeah... Lol. Don't worry last year my chemistry paper was **** too and I got an A*. Yeah.. they extend the syllabus a bit. But I think you'll find it pretty easy judging by how you find bio.
i got 4A's in AS

Spoiler

Original post by money-for-all
i got 4A's in AS

Spoiler

Don't worry I am sure I will be in the same boat as you by August.
Yeah my friends were so pissed because they had to start making notes from scratch. But I did not even start making any notes. So I ended up making notes for the normal Biology syllabus anyway ... well for the important topics anyway.

It was not stressful for me because I did not know **** about Bio before.. but I did feel that the teacher was ****ing stupid. Biology is a lot more concept related..while Chemistry is a lot of memorizing and hardcore concepts. Bio is more appealing to people who understand.. most of my friends who take Physics hate it. Same as I hate Physics. So yeah... Lol. Don't worry last year my chemistry paper was **** too and I got an A*. Yeah.. they extend the syllabus a bit. But I think you'll find it pretty easy judging by how you find bio.

Yeah that's why I found Chemistry so difficult when I used to do it (that is so satisfying saying that I don't do it any longer:biggrin:), which is that the concepts are so radical and difficult to get your head around.. I feel as though Biology has that slightly, but just not on such a big scale. Also the topics we did were ones all of us kind of knew about before (such as global warming, respiration etc.) whereas none of us even knew that electrolysis and the Haber process was when we started learning about it :redface:
I'm worried that the grade boundaries might go up though, as I found Biology easy and lots of people found Chemistry easy, meaning that we're on the easy year in the cycle of exams. Hopefully if I do OK in Physics I can at least get AB which is what I'd be very happy about. I got BB in the mocks with no revision so I'm sure I can move up at least one boundary.

Did the teacher get any complaints off of anyone? That would be like my History teacher turning around in March next year and say that instead of doing about Modern History we'd be doing Medieval History.. I'd be sooo annoyed seeing as though I'd have put in so much effort for something that I won't even take an exam in in the end anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest