The Student Room Group

OCR Latin GCSE Official Thread 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TakingMyTimeOnMy
Hey I'm doing the exact same combo as you!!! I actually enjoy Nisus and Euryalus as well as caesur and Cicero so it's way easier learning them. But I just don't like Tacitus I find him a bit boring.
I learnt Tacitus by dividing Boudiccas speech into five sections and learning that word for word (writing it out and saying it aloud) plus the grammar points and style for each mini bit. After I'm confident I move on to the next one and have some popcorn to congratulate myself :h:. Then I will repeat this for the Suetonius bit then the actual battle bit. I took me an hour to properly learn Boudiccas speech so I'm guessing roughly the same for the other two

Hope this helps and good luck!!

Hey- I am also doing this combo- there is so much! I quite like Nisus and Euryalus- but the first half is easier to learn, for me at least! I like Tacitus actually, but you do just have to sit down and learn them !
Hey I'm doing the exact same combo as you!!! I actually enjoy Nisus and Euryalus as well as caesur and Cicero so it's way easier learning them. But I just don't like Tacitus I find him a bit boring.
I learnt Tacitus by dividing Boudiccas speech into five sections and learning that word for word (writing it out and saying it aloud) plus the grammar points and style for each mini bit. After I'm confident I move on to the next one and have some popcorn to congratulate myself :h:. Then I will repeat this for the Suetonius bit then the actual battle bit. I took me an hour to properly learn Boudiccas speech so I'm guessing roughly the same for the other two

Hope this helps and good luck!!

thank you so much! surprisingly I'm the other way round, i find nisus and euryalus much harder to learn. I think i may use your popcorn idea!!
Hey I was just wondering how many points you need to put for 8 mark questions?
Also in the 2015 paper what would you write for 2 marks for the question: 'adversoque muro caput ingenti impetu impegit': what is shocking about Arria's actions here? ( would you just translate it or ...?)
Original post by someonecurious
Also in the 2015 paper what would you write for 2 marks for the question: 'adversoque muro caput ingenti impetu impegit': what is shocking about Arria's actions here? ( would you just translate it or ...?)

5 points and I'll get back to you on the question about arria X

Posted from TSR Mobile

For the Arria question, I just wrote that she dashes at the wall opposite with enormous force just as she was speaking. I think you basically translate it, because I got both marks.
Thanks so much guys!! My teacher told us to put 8 points for 8 markers but I definitely feel like I would run out of time if I did that!
Original post by exams2
thank you so much! surprisingly I'm the other way round, i find nisus and euryalus much harder to learn. I think i may use your popcorn idea!!

It's cool!! Glad to help and good luck!!

Original post by AimingHighA*
Hey- I am also doing this combo- there is so much! I quite like Nisus and Euryalus- but the first half is easier to learn, for me at least! I like Tacitus actually, but you do just have to sit down and learn them !

The only thing I struggle with is the eight markers tbh. How do you guys do them as we are going the same set texts??
I've also been told to write 8 points for the 8 marker but I have always run out of time doing that so knowing I only have to do 5 has somewhat made me feel a little better about myself (although I feel like I will definitely fail these lit papers). Can someone tell me how many points we need for the 10 markers then? Thanks!
It's cool!! Glad to help and good luck!!

The only thing I struggle with is the eight markers tbh. How do you guys do them as we are going the same set texts??

we've been told to get 5 strong language points and stick to the question. for example, if its how does boudicca make her speech encouraging, you choose 5 things that do this e.g., abstract nouns, quote in in latin, quote in in english and analyse.
Original post by exams2
Apparently it means, offering her stomach, she exclaimed ' wound me here'

unfortunately thats far from what i put although it does make much more sense.

'Tis miles from what I put...
But, if we're all going to fail, then it's only right to quote Highus Schoolus Musicalus.

"We're all in this together"
Thanks so much guys!! My teacher told us to put 8 points for 8 markers but I definitely feel like I would run out of time if I did that!

Oh our teacher told us to write 4-5 points with explanations I think. I think she said 1 mark was for the point then another for the explanation?
Original post by TeenPolyglot
'Tis miles from what I put...
But, if we're all going to fail, then it's only right to quote Highus Schoolus Musicalus.

"We're all in this together"

I knew what 'hic me vulnerati' meant but it didn't make any sense to me so I put ' he has wound me' oops. After the exam all my friends had put different things then we did some research and found out that Agrippina wanted to be stabbed in the stomacha s her evil son Nero had grown there? Thats so annoying.
Original post by niv1234
I knew what 'hic me vulnerati' meant but it didn't make any sense to me so I put ' he has wound me' oops. After the exam all my friends had put different things then we did some research and found out that Agrippina wanted to be stabbed in the stomacha s her evil son Nero had grown there? Thats so annoying.

I went out yesterday and all that was on my mind was the fact that I didn't know that 'hic' can be 'this' or 'here'- I was just SO confused!
Then again...I didn't do any grammar revision...

Maybe I'll get pity marks for my exam hall loneliness...:redface:
I went out yesterday and all that was on my mind was the fact that I didn't know that 'hic' can be 'this' or 'here'- I was just SO confused!
Then again...I didn't do any grammar revision...

Maybe I'll get pity marks for my exam hall loneliness...:redface:

Exam hall loneliness? Yes I was so confused on that second paragraph, we all thought Latin language would be so easy we were so wrong. I was confused about who's saying what to who and who's doing what to who. I think I messed up two lines. From the bit after she sees him holding up the sword to in this way. I also translated an active verb as a passive, I am such an idiot. I really hope prose and verse will be better. I have only revised Arria so far though.

Good luck with the other 2 exams.
Original post by niv1234
Exam hall loneliness? Yes I was so confused on that second paragraph, we all thought Latin language would be so easy we were so wrong. I was confused about who's saying what to who and who's doing what to who. I think I messed up two lines. From the bit after she sees him holding up the sword to in this way. I also translated an active verb as a passive, I am such an idiot. I really hope prose and verse will be better. I have only revised Arria so far though.

Good luck with the other 2 exams.

Yeah- I'm the only one in my school doing Latin :biggrin:

And Latin Language would have been easier for 2 if there was another "What English words have derived?" question, and some more comprehension. They're nice questions.

But I also couldn't get my head round what was happening- at one point, I felt like Agrippina had ended up killing Nero, and I couldn't get my head around what was active and what was passive...

But Arria is, for prose, I feel the hardest bit. The Day in the Life of Pliny is alright, the Death is pretty simple in terms of the literary criticism, it's just Arria who becomes a problem.
Yeah- I'm the only one in my school doing Latin :biggrin:

And Latin Language would have been easier for 2 if there was another "What English words have derived?" question, and some more comprehension. They're nice questions.

But I also couldn't get my head round what was happening- at one point, I felt like Agrippina had ended up killing Nero, and I couldn't get my head around what was active and what was passive...

But Arria is, for prose, I feel the hardest bit. The Day in the Life of Pliny is alright, the Death is pretty simple in terms of the literary criticism, it's just Arria who becomes a problem.

Oh I like Arria the best, its short and sweet. Well not so much sweet :biggrin: Thats so sad, I would be so lonely there are 6 people in my Latin class, its the smallest class I have.

I like those questions too but sometimes I have trouble defining the English word and end up writing too much I put 'tradition' and 'annual'.

I know what you mean the paper was so much harder than the past papers we did.
Original post by niv1234
Oh I like Arria the best, its short and sweet. Well not so much sweet :biggrin: Thats so sad, I would be so lonely there are 6 people in my Latin class, its the smallest class I have.

I like those questions too but sometimes I have trouble defining the English word and end up writing too much I put 'tradition' and 'annual'.

I know what you mean the paper was so much harder than the past papers we did.

Well, there were 9 at my old school, but it was compulsory for the clever students...

That is very true. Unfortunately, I didn't realise just how easy the first one was until doing paper 2...
Well, there were 9 at my old school, but it was compulsory for the clever students...

That is very true. Unfortunately, I didn't realise just how easy the first one was until doing paper 2...

I completely agree.
Language 2.

Thoughts?

In my opinion, everyone was right to fear it. Absolute hell in an exam.

I'm hoping for excessively low grade boundaries...

sameeee it was not an easy exam that language 2...probably a solid 30out of 60
Original post by FThisSI'mOut
O_O That is so messed up, at least we know where he gets his maniacal tendencies from

We all make mistakes, don't worry about it, I know I screwed up the "servants staying back to protect their mistress" one

We're just going to have to really push hard for Literature :/

But I always say "If Frank Lampard, famous Chelsea striker and player of the English football team, can get an A* in his Latin GCSE, so can I"

lool he went to my school so theres hope for me

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending