The Student Room Group

WJEC Language 2016 official prediction thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous20000
Woahhhh that end part about the horse shoe was so deep!! Well done!! I'll be using that if slim comes up haha!!

Thanks, haha! I love it too. I'll definitely be using it as well (if he,hopefully, comes up!) :biggrin:
Original post by MBK14
I hated that question it was just so vague. What texts do you study for Unjt 2

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's why I love it so much, haha:smile: You can honestly write about anything with it! I'm studying A Christmas Carol and Blood Brothers; what about you?
Original post by nisha.sri
I would do the same, what about his features and all that ?

Most of his features revolve around God, so I think you're pretty much sorted there. However, I recall one quote where his hands are compared to that of a "temple dancer". That may be a good one!
Any points for George and lennies relationship?
I always find mood and atmosphere extract questions hard...any tips?
i really hope george doesnt come up, how would i answer that question?
Original post by tnk191
Any points for George and lennies relationship?

George seems very impatient with Lennie at the start. However, as the novella goes on, it's clear that he'd be there for Lennie, no matter what. Whilst you could say this is ironic, since he shoots Lennie at the end, you could argue that, morally, he's doing the right thing. Of course, poor Lennie is completely dependent on George; he could not live without him. This is particularly clear when Curley is beating him up, and he looks "helplessly" at George. Ultimately, they both couldn't live without each other, which is reinforced through Crooks when he says "A guy goes nuts if he ain't got nobody".
Original post by tnk191
I always find mood and atmosphere extract questions hard...any tips?

My personal favourite moods/atmospheres to talk about: melancholy, jovial, dramatic, tense, foreboding, endearing, etc.

Track through the text methodically is the best tip going I think! Comment on single words, and mention the structure as well. The best form of structure to comment on would definitely be the novel as a whole, in relation to what happens when. You could do a double-whammy ,for example, if you said, quote "x" foreshadows event ... which occurs later in the novella, because you would have included structure analysis (whole novel), as well as stylistic features! Win-win! :smile:
Original post by mathooo
why is she flopped like a fish' good??????? I mean like how would i analyse that?

Curley is described in the same way when Lennie injures his arm. You could mention that it shows that she is powerless and relates to being a 'fish out of water', meaning she was out of her depth in the situation and isn't used to having a normal conversation with the ranch men. This creates sympathy for her character because as soon as she brings down her defences and opens up to Lennie, she is rewarded in death. The image of flopping like a fish also relates to Steinbeck's use of animal imagery to mirror the events in the book.
Reply 189
anyone know how to approach poetry and how much to write for each thing?
Original post by SophFlorence
I'd personally mention his God-like qualities, and how he's a great judge of character. I'd also mention his loneliness/ exclusion from the American Dream. Finally, I'd talk about his friendliness.

I need your help !! :colondollar: If it said ' how is the character Carlson important to the novel or how is he presented' what would you mention ?
Original post by HarryGCSE
Curley is described in the same way when Lennie injures his arm. You could mention that it shows that she is powerless and relates to being a 'fish out of water', meaning she was out of her depth in the situation and isn't used to having a normal conversation with the ranch men. This creates sympathy for her character because as soon as she brings down her defences and opens up to Lennie, she is rewarded in death. The image of flopping like a fish also relates to Steinbeck's use of animal imagery to mirror the events in the book.

I like your thinking... a lot... so much that I'm going to have to steal the "fish out of water" idea.. thanks! Haha :biggrin:
Speaking of the devil I was just learning quotes for tomorrow... man. How's everyone feeling? (Yeah I'm doing the WJEC too)
Original post by SAI6

I say first, spend around 5 minutes annotating and planning (definitely no more)
then
Small introduction (Edit: forgot to add times! For this I'd say 5 minutes.)
Paragraph on Poem 1 (Around 15 minutes?)
Paragraph on Poem 2 (15 minutes too)
A Comparison/contrast on the two (Yup. 15 mins)
Neat, to-the-point Conclusion (5 minutes)
MAYBE a bit quicker, as you need 5 minutes to proof-read. Keep an eye on the clock and stick to this time frame and you should be OK. The key is not to blab (which is where I suffer haha!)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by nisha.sri
I need your help !! :colondollar: If it said ' how is the character Carlson important to the novel or how is he presented' what would you mention ?

Firstly, cry. Ok, just kidding- don't cry-haha!

You could say that he's presented as the nastiest of the nastiest. He, like Slim, is shown as the extreme. Whist Slim is what Steinbeck may be portraying Slim as the 'ideal' ranch hand, Carlson is exactly what Steinbeck is suggesting people should NOT end up like.

You could argue that his moral intentions are right, however, as he wants to put Candy's dog "out of his misery". It seems really terrible, but if you think about it based on the dog's description of "moth-eaten" and having "pale, blind old eyes", it actually seems like the right thing to do!

Finally, you could describe him as lacking understanding, and being overall callous. This is reallllllllyyy shown at the end, in "now what the hell ya suppose is eatin' them to guys?". Wow, he lacks emotion! :biggrin: The fact that this is the last line of the whole novella shows how significant a character Carlson is, and that he, like Crooks, is put in the novella as a message. Steinbeck might be saying: this is what we don't want men to end up as, which is structurally, in this case, really fitting, as the end of the novella literally 'ends up' in such a way.
Original post by draculaura
Speaking of the devil I was just learning quotes for tomorrow... man. How's everyone feeling? (Yeah I'm doing the WJEC too)

Prepared, yet nervous. How about you?
Original post by SAI6

introduction with small comparison about the two
analyse poem 1- analyse literature techniques, poets motives, affect on you
do the same for poem 2 but compare with poem 1 as you go along. saying whether its similar or different to poem 1
conclusion

spend about 10-15 minutes planning and annotating
50-45 minutes writing. which is like 20-25 minutes on each poem. (giving you time for intro and conclusion and proof reading) make sure to give an equal response to each poem
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by SophFlorence
Prepared, yet nervous. How about you?

Prepared-ish, nervous-ish. Honestly really don't know how to feel. It could go very well, could go awfully. (Eugh!) What did you get in your CAs - and what do you want overall?
Reply 198
Original post by draculaura
Prepared-ish, nervous-ish. Honestly really don't know how to feel. It could go very well, could go awfully. (Eugh!) What did you get in your CAs - and what do you want overall?

I got 39/40 and really want A*

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MBK14
I got 39/40 and really want A*

Posted from TSR Mobile

Damn, no way ! You should get an A* no prob. I got 31/40 [ouch], and I'd like an A hahaha. A* would be great, but I'd have to get pretty much 100% in my exams :no:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending