The Student Room Group

equation help

can someone help me get what equation they have used??
Original post by djmans
can someone help me get what equation they have used??

Hello there,

Here, they have simply resolved the weight of the geologist. The calculations show the resolution of the component that is parallel to the side of the mountain. They show that because of the higher incline of the 35 degree side, the minimum force required to climb is larger than that of the 25 degree side. You can then use these values to calculate the work done by the geologist in climbing the mountain, by multiplying the forces by the distance that they would have to cover (I believe that the work done is in fact the same on either side).
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Smithenator5000
Hello there,

Here, they have simply resolved the weight of the geologist. The calculations show the resolution of the component that is parallel to the side of the mountain. They show that because of the higher incline of the 35 degree side, the minimum force required to climb is larger than that of the 25 degree side. You can then use these values to calculate the work done by the geologist in climbing the mountain, by multiplying the forces by the distance that they would have to cover (I believe that the work done is in fact the same on either side).

ok thanks, but could you explain why we substract 90-35,25.
Reply 3
Original post by djmans
ok thanks, but could you explain why we substract 90-35,25.

It could also have been written as sin25 and sin35, and to be honest I don't know why they did it how they did.

It's just so as to get the right component of the force.
Reply 4
Original post by Alexion
It could also have been written as sin25 and sin35, and to be honest I don't know why they did it how they did.

It's just so as to get the right component of the force.

thats the thing that confused me
Reply 5
Original post by djmans
thats the thing that confused me

But yeah, to summarise the initial question, it is simply F=ma, and the cosθ is just in there to get the right component of the acceleration :cute:

Quick Reply

Latest