The Student Room Group

WJEC Language 2016 official prediction thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SophFlorence
Firstly, cry. Ok, just kidding- don't cry-haha!

You could say that he's presented as the nastiest of the nastiest. He, like Slim, is shown as the extreme. Whist Slim is what Steinbeck may be portraying Slim as the 'ideal' ranch hand, Carlson is exactly what Steinbeck is suggesting people should NOT end up like.

You could argue that his moral intentions are right, however, as he wants to put Candy's dog "out of his misery". It seems really terrible, but if you think about it based on the dog's description of "moth-eaten" and having "pale, blind old eyes", it actually seems like the right thing to do!

Finally, you could describe him as lacking understanding, and being overall callous. This is reallllllllyyy shown at the end, in "now what the hell ya suppose is eatin' them to guys?". Wow, he lacks emotion! :biggrin: The fact that this is the last line of the whole novella shows how significant a character Carlson is, and that he, like Crooks, is put in the novella as a message. Steinbeck might be saying: this is what we don't want men to end up as, which is structurally, in this case, really fitting, as the end of the novella literally 'ends up' in such a way.

Thanks there is nothing really much to say anything about him.
Haha I nearly cried - I didn't don't worry
Do you think Minor characters may come ?
Original post by nisha.sri
Thanks there is nothing really much to say anything about him.
Haha I nearly cried - I didn't don't worry
Do you think Minor characters may come ?

No, there's not much to say to be fair. WJEC would be really mean to ask us about him!!! Haha, I would shed a few tears, I must admit... :wink:

Yes, I guess they could do, but it's quite unlikely.
Original post by MBK14
I got 39/40 and really want A*

Posted from TSR Mobile

what CA is this in?!
Reply 203
Original post by brainzistheword
not exactly answering the question but what texts are on which paper and which comes first - is OMAM on Unit 1 or what? Thanks :smile:

omam is the first paper and the poetry is lit paper 2
I'm doing oman and aic then for paper 2 I'm doing conflict
Reply 204
Original post by draculaura
I say first, spend around 5 minutes annotating and planning (definitely no more)
then
Small introduction (Edit: forgot to add times! For this I'd say 5 minutes.)
Paragraph on Poem 1 (Around 15 minutes?)
Paragraph on Poem 2 (15 minutes too)
A Comparison/contrast on the two (Yup. 15 mins)
Neat, to-the-point Conclusion (5 minutes)
MAYBE a bit quicker, as you need 5 minutes to proof-read. Keep an eye on the clock and stick to this time frame and you should be OK. The key is not to blab (which is where I suffer haha!)

haha, kk thanks
Reply 205
Firstly, cry. Ok, just kidding- don't cry-haha!

You could say that he's presented as the nastiest of the nastiest. He, like Slim, is shown as the extreme. Whist Slim is what Steinbeck may be portraying Slim as the 'ideal' ranch hand, Carlson is exactly what Steinbeck is suggesting people should NOT end up like.

You could argue that his moral intentions are right, however, as he wants to put Candy's dog "out of his misery". It seems really terrible, but if you think about it based on the dog's description of "moth-eaten" and having "pale, blind old eyes", it actually seems like the right thing to do!

Finally, you could describe him as lacking understanding, and being overall callous. This is reallllllllyyy shown at the end, in "now what the hell ya suppose is eatin' them to guys?". Wow, he lacks emotion! :biggrin: The fact that this is the last line of the whole novella shows how significant a character Carlson is, and that he, like Crooks, is put in the novella as a message. Steinbeck might be saying: this is what we don't want men to end up as, which is structurally, in this case, really fitting, as the end of the novella literally 'ends up' in such a way.

apparently his name represents Nazi-ism
No, there's not much to say to be fair. WJEC would be really mean to ask us about him!!! Haha, I would shed a few tears, I must admit... :wink:

Yes, I guess they could do, but it's quite unlikely.

If you have time, could you please explain to me the historical contexts and how it's related to the characters.
Also my final questions, How is George important to the novel as a whole ? I don't know much on how he is important ?

Love you forever :biggrin: Thanks x
Original post by SAI6
apparently his name represents Nazi-ism

Yeah, definitely. You could link that to his "Luger" shot gun, which is a German gun!
Reply 208
Original post by penguinstudies
i really hope george doesnt come up, how would i answer that question?

to be honest i think the text for this year will be the death of candys dog and the section b part will be the theme of loneliness so dont worry too much about george on his own as his character is very linked in with lennie

however you could say that he is restricted by lennie and that he has to spend his time looking out for lennie instead of at the brothel where other migrant workers spend their "stake". you could also say that he needs lennie to keep that american dream alive as he is only thinking abut saving up his money whilst the rest of them spend it. you could even say he's got someone (lennie) bringing in the theme of loneliness into you rwork

hope this helps :smile:
If you have time, could you please explain to me the historical contexts and how it's related to the characters.
Also my final questions, How is George important to the novel as a whole ? I don't know much on how he is important ?

Love you forever :biggrin: Thanks x

My brain is quite literally frazzled now, sorry, haha! I will condense George's significance though:

1) Shown as unique as he travels around with Lennie, unlike the rest of the ranchers, who're alone.
2) He's a dreamer.
3) You could also argue, though, that he's a dream-crusher.
Reply 210
Original post by SAI6
haha, kk thanks

your method is so different from the way i was taught thats really intersting
My brain is quite literally frazzled now, sorry, haha! I will condense George's significance though:

1) Shown as unique as he travels around with Lennie, unlike the rest of the ranchers, who're alone.
2) He's a dreamer.
3) You could also argue, though, that he's a dream-crusher.

Thanks , I understand you :smile: :biggrin:
Original post by muski
to be honest i think the text for this year will be the death of candys dog and the section b part will be the theme of loneliness so dont worry too much about george on his own as his character is very linked in with lennie

however you could say that he is restricted by lennie and that he has to spend his time looking out for lennie instead of at the brothel where other migrant workers spend their "stake". you could also say that he needs lennie to keep that american dream alive as he is only thinking abut saving up his money whilst the rest of them spend it. you could even say he's got someone (lennie) bringing in the theme of loneliness into you rwork

hope this helps :smile:

thanks, loneliness would be such a great question
Thanks , I understand you :smile: :biggrin:

No problem, as I said, this's helped me,too. Good luck for tomorrow, I'm signing off now!
No problem, as I said, this's helped me,too. Good luck for tomorrow, I'm signing off now!

Thanks same :smile: Signing off at 9
Reply 215
Original post by penguinstudies
thanks, loneliness would be such a great question

i know i just hope my guestimtion is accurate... good luck for tomorrow though!
Reply 216
Original post by muski
your method is so different from the way i was taught thats really intersting

What do u mean?
Hey guys quick question !!
Is slim likely to come ? On a scale of 0-10
0 being unlikely and 10 being bery likely
Original post by muski

Do you have quotes for that for every character do you mind sharing with me ?
Original post by muski

i hope so as well, and good luck too :biggrin:

Quick Reply