The Student Room Group

OCR Classics prediction 2016

Anyone have any predictions for The Odyssey paper and the Tragedy paper for 2016 ??

Scroll to see replies

Original post by amelia may
Anyone have any predictions for The Odyssey paper and the Tragedy paper for 2016 ??

Hi! I moved this to the Classics forum for you - you're more likely to get an answer here :smile: You might want to have a look around the forum and see if anyone's already answered your question in a different thread :h:
For Odyssey, I noticed that there's a 3 year pattern. Every 3 years book 10 comes up as a passage. It's due this year. But OCR does tend to be unpredictable so it might not come up. I also noticed book 12 and 8 have never come up as passages, ever. Could it be one of them?
Good luck for Odyssey! :smile:
Ok so having a real panic about the Odyssey (OCR). Quotes are especially needed for the b question. But I have heard you don't need them for the essay questions (at the back of the paper). I have come from a History/English Lit background (doing Lit at A2 currently) and so am used to specific evidence. I am therefore concerned about not using quotes, thinking I may get marked down or not have been specific enough to actually use it as evidence. How am I referring to the text if I am not quoting directly? Examples would be helpful. Oh... and the exam is tomorrow :frown: (left it a bit late, I know)
Reply 5
Original post by Antspitfire333
Ok so having a real panic about the Odyssey (OCR). Quotes are especially needed for the b question. But I have heard you don't need them for the essay questions (at the back of the paper). I have come from a History/English Lit background (doing Lit at A2 currently) and so am used to specific evidence. I am therefore concerned about not using quotes, thinking I may get marked down or not have been specific enough to actually use it as evidence. How am I referring to the text if I am not quoting directly? Examples would be helpful. Oh... and the exam is tomorrow :frown: (left it a bit late, I know)

I'm pretty sure you still need to give specific examples but you just don't need to quote directly from the Odyssey
Original post by Jkakr
I'm pretty sure you still need to give specific examples but you just don't need to quote directly from the Odyssey

So, for example,

Poseidon threatens Odysseus by launching a 'mountainous wave'

Poseidon threatens Odysseus by sending him a storm.

Is that correct? Is that how you do it? My teacher wasn't clear, nor was some of the information on the Student Room.
I would have thought that is too vague; how can that be worthy of marks? What I have just done there is, effectively, made a point similar to an A question. That sort of regurgitation has no relevance in the essay question... surely?
(edited 7 years ago)
So, for example,

Poseidon threatens Odysseus by launching a 'mountainous wave'

Poseidon threatens Odysseus by sending him a storm.

Is that correct? Is that how you do it? My teacher wasn't clear, nor was some of the information on the Student Room.
I would have thought that is too vague; how can that be worthy of marks? What I just done there is, effectively, made a point similar to an A question. That sort of regurgitation has no relevance in the essay question... surely?

Yooooo
So for the essay you have to paraphrase, but not quote. You have to prove that you know the plot well and that you can evaluate what you know, and come to a reasoned conclusion - that's what the examiners are marking for. Remember that your examples are supposed to be supporting your point on the essay question, not to be the actual point itself.

...saying that, holy frick am I terrified for tomorrow. I hate lit exams so much - I always feel like there's more revision that could be done!! >-<
I have two Classics exams tomorrow and Psychology! I hope all goes well :smile:
Original post by roarchika
Yooooo
So for the essay you have to paraphrase, but not quote. You have to prove that you know the plot well and that you can evaluate what you know, and come to a reasoned conclusion - that's what the examiners are marking for. Remember that your examples are supposed to be supporting your point on the essay question, not to be the actual point itself.

...saying that, holy frick am I terrified for tomorrow. I hate lit exams so much - I always feel like there's more revision that could be done!! >-<

That does support the point :smile: but what would you define as paraphrasing? Are you not doing that for the a question? would you regard my above post as paraphrasing? sorry If sound stressed, its because I am stressing quite a bit
That does support the point :smile: but what would you define as paraphrasing? Are you not doing that for the a question? would you regard my above post as paraphrasing? sorry If sound stressed, its because I am stressing quite a bit

Sorry, you know what I mean! :P Paraphrasing for me is saying something along the lines of "Odysseus tells Athena (in disguise) that he is a Cretan merchant, washed up on the shores of Ithaca having narrowly escaped from pirate ships" instead of quoting directly from the text. (I'm really not sure that bit's in the set text. I'm a private candidate who basically took all questions to her Latin teacher and just ended up reading the whole thing ugh so sorry if that's the case). And yeah, you're doing that for part A too! More so for the 25 marker, I think, than the others - though obviously you're paraphrasing in not too much depth for the 10 marker. I'd definitely say what you wrote was paraphrasing!

Don't stress - more than anything else, the 45 markers tend to be all about those themes and characters. If you know your plot, you can work out the rest :smile:
Original post by roarchika
Sorry, you know what I mean! :P Paraphrasing for me is saying something along the lines of "Odysseus tells Athena (in disguise) that he is a Cretan merchant, washed up on the shores of Ithaca having narrowly escaped from pirate ships" instead of quoting directly from the text. (I'm really not sure that bit's in the set text. I'm a private candidate who basically took all questions to her Latin teacher and just ended up reading the whole thing ugh so sorry if that's the case). And yeah, you're doing that for part A too! More so for the 25 marker, I think, than the others - though obviously you're paraphrasing in not too much depth for the 10 marker. I'd definitely say what you wrote was paraphrasing!

Don't stress - more than anything else, the 45 markers tend to be all about those themes and characters. If you know your plot, you can work out the rest :smile:

thank you this has been helpful :smile:
Reply 12
I'm stressing out about tomorrow too! What are your timings for the questions? I am worried cause I don't write very quickly.. :frown:(
Original post by asha.o
I have two Classics exams tomorrow and Psychology! I hope all goes well :smile:

Hey, I have the exact same! good luck :smile:
How did everyone find the exam??? I feel like that first 45 marker was kind of an awesome question!

(Btw - is anyone else doing Roman Society/Thought as their other unit? I haven't been able to find anybody and I'm looking for someone to compare notes with!)
Hey guys. So basically I did the odyssey 45 mark question on how Homeric women are "kept in control " or are "in control"? Apparently one of the bullet points said do not mention Circe or calypso( I'm not sure tho). And I mentioned a lot about the goddesses. So can any one confirm?? 😃
Original post by Sayeeda101
Hey guys. So basically I did the odyssey 45 mark question on how Homeric women are "kept in control " or are "in control"? Apparently one of the bullet points said do not mention Circe or calypso( I'm not sure tho). And I mentioned a lot about the goddesses. So can any one confirm?? 😃

Yeah! That's right, the focus on the questions was on mortal women, they were quite specific! I did that question :smile:
Original post by Violetflower
Hey, I have the exact same! good luck :smile:

What's your second exam on? How did you find it? I did city life in roman italy as my second unit! I feel like they went well, I really liked Odyssey though!
Original post by Sayeeda101

Unfortunately, one of the bullet points did indeed specify to not talk about goddesses/Circe/Calypso :frown:
what questions did you do for cities?:-)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending