The Student Room Group

Cyclists Society MK2

Scroll to see replies

and nice picture there
Original post by exhaled page

Anyone know a good way of accurately estimating it?

Do it on a trainer or find a Wattbike.
Original post by Roobsa
Do it on a trainer or find a Wattbike.

Thanks
Is that how you measured yours? And what's your ftp if you don't me asking.
Thanks
Is that how you measured yours? And what's your ftp if you don't me asking.

I've done it out on the road and on a Wattbike. I haven't done an FTP test for a while.

Where do you live?
Original post by Roobsa
I've done it out on the road and on a Wattbike. I haven't done an FTP test for a while.

Where do you live?

South England mate. What about doing 20 mins and multiplying it 0.9? Is that reliable? Those wattbikes are quite expensive you know
Reply 145
South England mate. What about doing 20 mins and multiplying it 0.9? Is that reliable? Those wattbikes are quite expensive you know

I don't think he means actually buying one but rather going somewhere where you have access to one.

It's meant to be *0.95.

If you go to doing it indoors it'll probably be slightly lower than you can hold on the road. And in terms of doing the test somewhere on the road, you want to avoid descents. False flats/climbing and minimise junctions. I know it's easier said than done.
Noo! I was coming home and went via a mtb trail. Went over a series of bumps and the saddle rails bent. So now I need a new saddle. I mean, I'd been thinking of one for a while but not the best time for them to break
Reply 147
Original post by alexs2602
Noo! I was coming home and went via a mtb trail. Went over a series of bumps and the saddle rails bent. So now I need a new saddle. I mean, I'd been thinking of one for a while but not the best time for them to break

Guessing you were sat on the saddle? Can't have been very comfortable! Always stand up when attacking bumps, more control, use your knees to absorb the bumps and less likely to end up with a saddle in your rectum...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by dhr90
Guessing you were sat on the saddle? Can't have been very comfortable! Always stand up when attacking bumps, more control, use your knees to absorb the bumps and less likely to end up with a saddle in your rectum...

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think so. Happened quickly. It bent forwards so certainly better than it ending up sticking up my arse. Lesson learned, I guess. I only went that way for a change. Ive been avoiding it because I need dry lube and my chain gets filthy otherwise. Not sure what I'm going to do until then. I need a new saddle and dry lube and I need to relube my chain but not sure if I'll wait until I get the saddle or borrow one.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BaronK
I don't think he means actually buying one but rather going somewhere where you have access to one.

It's meant to be *0.95.

If you go to doing it indoors it'll probably be slightly lower than you can hold on the road. And in terms of doing the test somewhere on the road, you want to avoid descents. False flats/climbing and minimise junctions. I know it's easier said than done.

Thanks, I will try. Every hill I find is countered by a descent. What your ftp and how did you calculate it? Would you say I should take my NP AP or AWP when calculating ftp
Reply 150
Thanks, I will try. Every hill I find is countered by a descent. What your ftp and how did you calculate it? Would you say I should take my NP AP or AWP when calculating ftp

Well rolling roads is your best bet. My FTP is a closely guarded trade secret.
A 20 minute highest average, i.e. what they give you on training peaks, strava etc on a power curve.
13244107_1004931132895320_2288754099035694661_o.jpg

Action shot from racing yesterday. One of two crashes... first tumble in a race for 18 months or so though so can't complain too much.
Reply 152
Original post by ouchthathurts
13244107_1004931132895320_2288754099035694661_o.jpg

Action shot from racing yesterday. One of two crashes... first tumble in a race for 18 months or so though so can't complain too much.

Did your name ring true? And how's the bike?
(edited 7 years ago)
It did indeed... and still does.

Bike is fine now. Just had to straighten the shifters, replace the hanger and a new cable.

Second crash was worse and more annoying, just after the last corner, I was dead cert for a top 3 until I went down and possibly the win given how easily I'd been able to overtake people slogging their guts out up the slight climb on previous laps... oh well. Next race is tomorrow, longer and another uphill finish and probably half the field will be the same. Should hopefully do OK as long as my body doesn't play up too much.
anyone got any tips for training for climbs without actually climbing? I'm hoping to hit Mallorca/Alps (hopefully both) late summer/autumn but I'm going to be moving somewhere that is completely flat... I'm a bit gutted as i quite like doing hills and even more worried that I'm just going to die if I go and try and tackle climbs having not been over anything more than like 3-4% in months, I'm not a good climber at the best of times (I'm fine with endurance and have got over hills maxing at 20%ish I'm just terribly slow)

was thinking more trainer sessions might help, or just making sure I do some tempo rides so I'm putting in a higher effort level for longer but I don't want to book a holiday and not actually manage to do much
Original post by doodle_333
anyone got any tips for training for climbs without actually climbing? I'm hoping to hit Mallorca/Alps (hopefully both) late summer/autumn but I'm going to be moving somewhere that is completely flat... I'm a bit gutted as i quite like doing hills and even more worried that I'm just going to die if I go and try and tackle climbs having not been over anything more than like 3-4% in months, I'm not a good climber at the best of times (I'm fine with endurance and have got over hills maxing at 20%ish I'm just terribly slow)

was thinking more trainer sessions might help, or just making sure I do some tempo rides so I'm putting in a higher effort level for longer but I don't want to book a holiday and not actually manage to do much

15 second to 1 minute sprint intervals.

Tempo rides don't do much for improving your climbing because you're almost never going over your threshold power.
Original post by Roobsa
15 second to 1 minute sprint intervals.

Tempo rides don't do much for improving your climbing because you're almost never going over your threshold power.

thanks :smile: so you think it would be possible to stay fit enough to tackle proper climbs (I know there's nothing too crazy in Mallorca) day after day doing sprints?
Reply 157

thanks :smile: so you think it would be possible to stay fit enough to tackle proper climbs (I know there's nothing too crazy in Mallorca) day after day doing sprints?

If you're training in your proper tempo/sweet spot zone then it will certainly help you, it ultimately increases your threshold power. And that's what's most important for the longer climbs obviously. Sub 1 minute/sprint intervals aren't going to help you much on a half hour long climb.
Original post by BaronK
If you're training in your proper tempo/sweet spot zone then it will certainly help you, it ultimately increases your threshold power. And that's what's most important for the longer climbs obviously. Sub 1 minute/sprint intervals aren't going to help you much on a half hour long climb.

thanks :smile: I'll probably need both, as much as I like climbing I'm terrible at it!
Original post by BaronK

The only way to increase your threshold is to actually do intervals above your threshold. If you constantly ride at or below your threshold you'll never improve it.

You can't do proper sprint intervals day after day but yes. Sprint intervals can help your climbing regardless of the length of climb. If you increase your threshold by 30 watts for example, then you also raise your zone 3 and 4 power by 30 watts and Z3/4 are typically what you'll be climbing in. I'm not saying 15-60 second efforts are the only thing you should do but they are absolutely one of the most time efficient training sessions.

Quick Reply

Latest