The Student Room Group

AQA AS Psychology Paper 2, 23 May 2016 Opinions. UNOFFICIAL MARK SCHEME

Scroll to see replies

There won't be a 12 marker on biopsychology right?
Can anyone explain how the basal ganglia and the orbitofrontal cortex is related to OCD?
I understand that the caudate nucleus in the basal ganglia suppresses signals from the orbitofrontal cortex and the worrying signals are sent to the thalamus.
However, I don't understand what happens when the caudate nucleus is damaged.
Original post by adelemaexo
There won't be a 12 marker on biopsychology right?

There could possibly be one on the fight or flight response.
Original post by angellll
Can anyone explain how the basal ganglia and the orbitofrontal cortex is related to OCD?
I understand that the caudate nucleus in the basal ganglia suppresses signals from the orbitofrontal cortex and the worrying signals are sent to the thalamus.

?????????????????????? I've not heard of any of that, are you sure we need that information.
Original post by saynarda
?????????????????????? I've not heard of any of that, are you sure we need that information.

In my textbook by Mike Cardwell and Cara Flanagan, it comes underneath the topic of the biological approach to explaining OCD.
There could possibly be one on the fight or flight response.

Okay would this just be description? I thought you could only have a 12 mark question for description and evaluation
Original post by adelemaexo
Okay would this just be description? I thought you could only have a 12 mark question for description and evaluation

This would be evaluation as well.
In my textbook by Mike Cardwell and Cara Flanagan, it comes underneath the topic of the biological approach to explaining OCD.

could you please write a model answer for biological explanation of OCD...i need all the help i can get with that. also could you do some points for treatments
Original post by THESTRESS
could you please write a model answer for biological explanation of OCD...i need all the help i can get with that. also could you do some points for treatments

I need help on this myself, looool
This would be evaluation as well.

how would you evaluate it?
Original post by THESTRESS
how would you evaluate it?

I think there has already been a response to this a couple of pages back.
They won't ask you to evaluate the flight or fight response, only outline.
Also does anyone know if they will ask us to debrief or anything along those lines.
Reply 212

A damaged OFC means that minor worries are not suppressed, whereas if there were no damage they would be suppressed, so it leads to OCD
Reply 213
What do we need to know about the mergence of psychology as a science and the emergence of neuroscience??
Original post by Mina_
What do we need to know about the mergence of psychology as a science and the emergence of neuroscience??

yes we do, so for its emergence as a science, talk through how the techniques of wundt, behaviourist apprach, cognitive approach, biological has changed...how they developed to focus on controllig in lab settings and objectivd methods. Add congitive neuroscience too, it combines biiology and congitive using tenchnology too...which is scientific

The basal ganglia controls motor functions. Brain scans have shown that hypersensitivity in the basal ganglia leads to observable repetitive behaviours. a meta analysis of 10 studies of ocd by Rotge also shows that structural abnormalities of the basal ganglia leads to repetitive motor functions supporting the link between biological structures and their influence on OCD.
Original post by saynarda
They won't ask you to evaluate the flight or fight response, only outline.
Also does anyone know if they will ask us to debrief or anything along those lines.

They could definitely ask you to write a debrief! I suggest you learn how to write one, it could get you an easy 5 marks.
Good luck :h:
Reply 217
evaluation for flight or flight would include the the theory of "tend and befriend" demonstrated by females. The structure of this evaluation point would be:

Taylor et al (2000) have demonstrated that the behavioural response to stress shown by women may be more categorised by a pattern of 'tend and befriend' rather than fight or flight. This involves protecting themselves and their offspring in a tending manner, through nurturing behaviours. Subsequently, women are thought to form appropriate, protective allies with other women in a process of befriending. This suggests women may have a totally different process of coping with stress as a result of their response evolving in the context of being a primary caregiver. Fleeing too readily in any sign of danger would put the offspring in danger. Studies using rats suggests there may be physiological response to stress, demonstrated in women, that inhibits flight - the release of the hormone oxytocin. This increases relaxation, reduces fearfulness and decreases the stress responses charasteristic to fight or flight.
Reply 218
I really wish everyone the best of luck, and pray cognitive approach and biological approach to treating OCD does not come up Xx
Good Luck!! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending