The Student Room Group

Changing A level exam boards

Hi,

I'm doing all my AS level exams privately, including MEI OCR C1, C2, an S1 and the new OCR A levels for Biology and Chemistry.

I was wondering if there is any chance that I can apply for my second year in a college, after receiving my results. However, the college that I want to apply to has a different exam board to the ones I'm doing (AQA for all my subjects)
and there is a coursework element for MEI OCR C3 which should be submitted in the first year, which I only learned about a few days ago so it's too late to complete and submit that now.

I want to know if I can apply to do AQA C3, C4 and S2 at the college. Thanks
Reply 1
You'd have to redo the AS-level exams for maths, you wouldn't for chemistry and biology though due to the new linear courses.

You would have to go through all the course content, though, to make sure you knew the right things for your new exam boards.
So would I have to do AQA C1-4, S1 and D1 all in 1 year or 2 years?
Reply 3
You'd have to do it in 1 year (unless you stayed for an extra year, but I doubt you'd want that...) which is very possible and a lot of people do it :h:
Reply 4
Original post by IXxi HIIDA ixXI
Hi,

I'm doing all my AS level exams privately, including MEI OCR C1, C2, an S1 and the new OCR A levels for Biology and Chemistry.

I was wondering if there is any chance that I can apply for my second year in a college, after receiving my results. However, the college that I want to apply to has a different exam board to the ones I'm doing (AQA for all my subjects)
and there is a coursework element for MEI OCR C3 which should be submitted in the first year, which I only learned about a few days ago so it's too late to complete and submit that now.

I want to know if I can apply to do AQA C3, C4 and S2 at the college. Thanks

For Biology and Chemistry you are taking the new linear A levels so it shouldn't be a major problem (except you may have to catch up on some practicals).
For Maths you should be able to do a transfer of credit to transfer your AS marks from OCR to AQA. It has to be done by the Exams Officer at your new centre but the details are here: http://www.jcq.org.uk/exams-office/entries/gce-entry-information-incltransfer-of-credit/gce-as-transfer-of-credit-arrangements-2014-2015 (The C3 coursework shouldn't be submitted in the first year. It has to be submitted in the same season as you take C3, which is normally in the second year. Anyway, it's not a problem as AQA doesn't have any coursework.)

Edit. Different places do different applied units, but S1 is the unit most commonly done in Year 12 so it shouldn't cause a problem - but the Y13 unit could be S2 or D1 or M1.
(edited 7 years ago)
Alright, so heres the course outline for the college I want to apply to:

AS Level
Unit 1 & 2: Core 1 and 2
Unit 3: Decision 1

A2 Level
Unit 4 & 5: Core 3 and 4
Unit 6: Statistics 1

Assessment
No Coursework
Examination (100%)
Examining Board AQA.

I've already done the MEI C1 exam and I've got S1 and C2 left.

Would I have to do D1 instead of S1, considering that I do get my AS marks transferred?
Reply 6
Original post by IXxi HIIDA ixXI
Alright, so heres the course outline for the college I want to apply to:

AS Level
Unit 1 & 2: Core 1 and 2
Unit 3: Decision 1

A2 Level
Unit 4 & 5: Core 3 and 4
Unit 6: Statistics 1

I've already done the MEI C1 exam and I've got S1 and C2 left.

Would I have to do D1 instead of S1, considering that I do get my AS marks transferred?

You should be able to get the AS transferred, but you will have to do a different applied unit (i.e. not S1) in A2. Your choice really of D1, M1 or S2.
Thanks man, I was stressing over this too much

Quick Reply

Latest