The Student Room Group

English lit exam tomorrow?!

any last minute tips on acing english lit exam tomorrow??? fyi its on of mice and men and poetry

Scroll to see replies

I'm in the same boat as you, my friend. Except mine is on OMAM and An Inspector Calls. I'm so screwed
Just learn quotes you'll be fine

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mine's on Spies and poetry.
Very very screwed here as well hahaha
Reply 4
Gradesaver is a really good resource! Good luck with your exams, hope it all goes well!
Don't just learn quotes but try and remember some explanations for them too - watch MRBRUFF on youtube, his analysis for OMAM is amazing.
If you know quotes you can expand on them. Point, evidence, explain

Posted from TSR Mobile
lmao same..are you doing WJEC?! im f u c k ing screwed!!!! didn't read the book and don't know how to annotate poems :smile: :smile: o m g
Does anyone know any historical context for an inspector calls!!!???

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by bethanyjx
lmao same..are you doing WJEC?! im f u c k ing screwed!!!! didn't read the book and don't know how to annotate poems :smile: :smile: o m g

yh im doing WJEC too and i barely know any quotes all i know is 'I WANNA TWEND THE RWABBITS GEORGEee'
Reply 10
I use some crap method, basically this is how i do it for inspector calls,P- Point (any point like Eric is immature)E- Example (Eva and Mr Birling call him a "boy", "idler", "kid"T- Technique (Shows how immature he is and why he is like that, parents "dont understand"E- Explain ( Eric feels as if everyone makes fun of him)R- Readers/audience response. (This agitates Eric as he doesn't like being called a kid, therefore he forces Eva to have..)Then just evaluateThis is for AIC part of the Literature exam for tomorrow
Original post by 9091student
any last minute tips on acing english lit exam tomorrow??? fyi its on of mice and men and poetry

The exam tomorrow is on short stories and of mice and men is it not?
Original post by Tashamcd1014
The exam tomorrow is on short stories and of mice and men is it not?

depends on what exam board your doin
Does anyone know what the grade boundaries for the coursework were 😀
Is it easier to answer theme or character? :colondollar:
Download Gojimo.
Btw guys i know its late but if you need revision advice i found a channel on YouTube which is quite helpful, search Ryhan Hussain https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg2u5o5dvS5iIu74rRO5x1w
Reply 17
Original post by cdaniels2011
Don't just learn quotes but try and remember some explanations for them too - watch MRBRUFF on youtube, his analysis for OMAM is amazing.

He is really resourceful, thank you for telling me about him.
is there any point learning quotes
Reply 19
Okay, you're gonna do fine! Just focus on three things

1- Your paragraphs
2- Your quotes
3- Your analysis

You figure out the paragraphs first. Most recommend five paragraphs, one intro, three main 'body' paragraphs, which encompass your main argument, and one conclusion. INTRODUCTIONS are soooo important, please don't skip out on there. There is where you put the context. If the question is on isolation in OMAM, then talk about what you know! Jim Crow Laws!! How America was an isolationist country! If you take history, USE IT! There's a reason they chose books which overlap with other subjects, haha.

Plan all of your paragraph beforehand, because it's important to know your arguments. In class, we actually often don't write essays, but plan them, and it's kind of been drilled into my head, which is good, because it ensures you're way more focused in the actual essay.
And, okay, let's say you can't answer the question. Maybe the question is "How is the character of George presented in the novel" and you can't find any more than one point. It's okay! Just - this is gonna sound strange- change the question! In your head (duhh), come up with an alternative that is similar enough. Can't answer presented questions, but can answer how his character progresses? Do it! Come up with the points, and see how they tie into the normal question. Odds are, they'll fit nicely!

I'd say come up with a quote bank at the top of the page too, but if it takes you more than about 6-8 minutes to plan, DON'T. Odds are, they'll be floating around in your head. When you find them, grab them and just write them around your paper. Don't think: "Oh, I'll remember it later", because you might not! I always end up having my essay around a sea of quotes, and that's fine! The examiner will be happy to see you plan!

Finally, don't panic! Stay focused, know you'll do well, and sound sure of yourself when you write!

Idek if these are any helpful or you already know it, but those are my two cents. Good luck everyone! You'll all do absolutely wonderful, and I'll have my fingers crossed for you! (When I don't have them crossed for myself, that it :wink:)

Quick Reply

Latest