The Student Room Group

I feel like its the end of the road for me...graduate jobs

I've struggling a bit and feeling down because I'm working in a job that doesn't really fulfil my goals or stimulate my interests. It's boring, highly stressful, and above all adds no value.

I'm purely holding down the job to pay bills and get by. I know that this job will be a somewhat short to medium term job- until I find my feet.

Problem is, I've graduated in January and ever since I'm stuck in a rut. I've realised that I didn't invest my time as wisely as I should've done with regards careers support at University. I know this isn't a new situation, it's just suddenly dawned on me that I should've been working up to a point where in my second year I should've been producing my CV, going to interviews etc., and then in final year I should've applied for jobs or internships.

For me, I only really started applying for roles that where open to graduates in third year- usually sourced through my lecturers- towards the end. I feel I didn't and still really haven't put myself out there. This was due to a mix of despondency in my own abilities, no direction, laziness, but above all I struggled with mental health difficulties, so majority of third year and some of second year was spent playing 'catch up' with coursework.

I was always an abled student, highly achieving and almost a perfectionist, however, I could never really focus on anything but coursework- when that was done I had no time to do anything else.

Now, I've long graduated and I'm fighting for grad roles, and I've realised many of those before me and indeed in my class where probably well ahead of me- when I thought I was doing just fine, getting 2:1's in my modules, volunteering in students union, working a PT job while studying. They just seem to have done more than me, that is of value to employers.

I'm basically starting from zero now.

Anybody feel the same way?
Feeling sorry for yourself and having a pity party isnt going to get you far.

Make a plan of where you want to go and then understand the steps you need to take to get there.You cant do anything about the past just learn from it. Its hardly been any time since you graduated. Toughen up and get on with sorting things out.
schools and uni's shouldn't really be the ones telling you the importance of internships and gaining relevnt work experience. having a 2:1 is great but ultiamtely means nothing other than ticking the box that you're allowed to apply to grad roles. the grad market is so saturated, the fact you didn't think ahead bewilders me, given all the news stories of struggling grads.

i'm a 2nd year with almost 6 months relevant experience within the field i aspire to join.

as above, stop feeling sorry for yourself.

personally managed to salvage myself a 2 month summer internship before i even started university. my initial route into these jobs was through networing (attending insight events, going on linkedin talking to alumni of university who landed jobs and asking for informational meetings, finding smaller firms to get work experience in whether that be informally). once you have the experience it's hard for people to turn you away.

you're a grown up.. the mantra has and always will be "want and go get"

not to offend you, but why does 'mental health' issues always seem to be the thing people point to when they don't achieve their goals. you were clearly capable of getting a 2:1.. how was your ability of submitting an application which would take no more than 1-2 hours to a company affected in anyway?

pretty sure coursework deadlines aren't due within hours
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
If it isn't hard to get there, it wouldn't be worth having :smile:

Sounds like you're in employment so you're doing OK. Maybe set yourself a target of turning out 2 job applications a day after work, see where it goes from there. Make sure you have an extra set of eyes on your 'standard' CV/Cover Letter to iron out any issues. You'll obviously need to tailor these to the role, but 80% will stay the same.
I swear you've spent more time whining on here with ridiculously verbose OPs like the above than you have spent putting your nose to the brimstone. Lose the 'woe is me' attitude.

You don't seem to be hustling enough (i.e. networking, chasing down opportunities), get on it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by royal1990
I've struggling a bit and feeling down because I'm working in a job that doesn't really fulfil my goals or stimulate my interests. It's boring, highly stressful, and above all adds no value.

I'm purely holding down the job to pay bills and get by. I know that this job will be a somewhat short to medium term job- until I find my feet.

Problem is, I've graduated in January and ever since I'm stuck in a rut. I've realised that I didn't invest my time as wisely as I should've done with regards careers support at University. I know this isn't a new situation, it's just suddenly dawned on me that I should've been working up to a point where in my second year I should've been producing my CV, going to interviews etc., and then in final year I should've applied for jobs or internships.

For me, I only really started applying for roles that where open to graduates in third year- usually sourced through my lecturers- towards the end. I feel I didn't and still really haven't put myself out there. This was due to a mix of despondency in my own abilities, no direction, laziness, but above all I struggled with mental health difficulties, so majority of third year and some of second year was spent playing 'catch up' with coursework.

I was always an abled student, highly achieving and almost a perfectionist, however, I could never really focus on anything but coursework- when that was done I had no time to do anything else.

Now, I've long graduated and I'm fighting for grad roles, and I've realised many of those before me and indeed in my class where probably well ahead of me- when I thought I was doing just fine, getting 2:1's in my modules, volunteering in students union, working a PT job while studying. They just seem to have done more than me, that is of value to employers.

Please see my recent thread 'Graduate Employment' (should have titled it 'Graduate Unemployment' really).
People criticise me for commenting about graduate being unemployed but heres the real truth...
Having a degree isn't anything special anymore it's just a fancy way of saying you're capable of reading books and writing essays about other authors' subjects.
I have known so many graduates who are like you, having graduated, they think they don't need to do anything to get their dream job, instead they just wait until someone hands it to them on a plate. But the question is, how much waiting are you going to do to get a job? You are really just wasting time and energy for no exact reason aren't you and you're not exactly contributing to anything.
Gain some more experience whether for free or volunteering or if you want some money coming in, do some temporary work through agencies.
Really by not doing anything more about your situation, you are building a massive gap on your CV and the longer you leave it the less appealing you are to an employer.
Come on seriously, you're an adult now, you shouldn't really need people to think for you.

In conclusion Beggars cannot be choosers; you need to work hard to be able to get what you want in life. That is just how life works I'm afraid.
(edited 7 years ago)

both of these are of great value to employers. i'm not quite sure what the problem is except you didn't apply for internships in 2nd year or jobs in 3rd year. but done is done. you've got experience, so go apply for some jobs. if you don't have directly relevant experience and think it is necessary (or even useful), then go and get some - volunteer.
I understand where you're coming from OP however...

You only graduated in January - it is certainly not the end of the line (social pressure will be exerting itself on you I imagine, as you see other graduates getting good jobs).

When young and naive it can be hard to see the value of work experience but fear not.

From my experience, you do not need extensive work experience and what you have mentioned is enough (assuming you're not applying to banking/law etc jobs). For a "normal" graduate scheme (still extremely competitive) you definitely do not need much work experience!

I'd say the three key ingredients are: determination, belief, preparation.

Usually the first two are a result of preparation. So, you need to become organised. Write down what career you want/potential graduate schemes. Then you need to prepare for the process . The process of getting a graduate scheme is surprisingly consistent. You can prepare and get much better at it - increasing your chances of success. Once you know that you are more prepared and you want the job more than others, I guarantee you will experience more success.

This is not a mysterious process, or one whereby the other graduates are far more qualified.

Go forth and conquer!

Hiya :smile: Firstly ignore people who seek to minimize mental health issues. I know how debilitating they can be. What field is it that you want to go into? What is your current job. It's definitely not the end of the road. It might just be that you need to get better at selling your transferable skills you have already gained through jobs to potential employers.
Original post by TheWaffle
Hiya :smile: Firstly ignore people who seek to minimize mental health issues. I know how debilitating they can be. What field is it that you want to go into? What is your current job. It's definitely not the end of the road. It might just be that you need to get better at selling your transferable skills you have already gained through jobs to potential employers.

Who is minimising mental health issues? From what the OP posted their attititude is unhelpful to their situation and what they basie it on is inaccurate.

The end of the road after less than 5 months? If it was 5 years then I would have more sympathy. As it is, if they want to improve their lot in life, they need to take actions that will improve their situation. Getting a plan and understanding how the job market works in real life will stop them being unrealistically pessimistic.
Original post by 999tigger
Who is minimising mental health issues? From what the OP posted their attititude is unhelpful to their situation and what they basie it on is inaccurate.

The end of the road after less than 5 months? If it was 5 years then I would have more sympathy. As it is, if they want to improve their lot in life, they need to take actions that will improve their situation. Getting a plan and understanding how the job market works in real life will stop them being unrealistically pessimistic.

In other words OP needs to stop complaining and look for work experience instead.
Has OP tried networking for example setting up a LinkedIn account?

What sort of areas are you interested in? I kind of felt like that in my final year of Uni when I quit the teaching part of my degree and thought I had no options.

However I researched everything I was interested in from Social Media PR to fitness training to teaching abroad. I found there is just so much out there and the more you look the more you find. It take time and I put a folder together or one summer and came out with several great ideas. Now 5 years later I feel I have the best job in the world.
What careers are you interested in?

I've known a large number of people get jobs some time after graduating - it's not abnormal in this climate.

I think the main thing at this stage is to get some useful experience outside of your current job - so that you can have examples of competencies at interview. Or you could volunteer to do something within your current job - maybe volunteering to do a task after you have finished your usual work.

Also make sure you are getting enough support for your health issues so that you can concentrate on careers now.
Reply 13

If it makes you feel any better, I am 27 next month and am only really starting my first "grad job" as a software engineer in August. Have you thought about what interests you? You don't need to necessarily work in a field which is related to your degree.... in the tech sector for example there are employers willing to take people on and train them due to the skills shortage.

I know there is a lot of social pressure on grads to get good jobs etc, but it is worth thinking about what you actually like doing (I can't emphasise this enough). You don't want to wait until you are married with kids to realise that you have made a massive mistake with your career choice.
You could try programming: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4072475 This thread literally tells you how to get a job in this field.

Good luck

Quick Reply