The Student Room Group

English Literature: Do any quotes I include have to be exact?

Cheers.
If you attempt to quote something from a book and it isn't exact then the examiner could not only avoid giving you bonus marks, but also penalise you for making something up. These examiners will have read the book several times and know if something was in it or not.
Reply 2
Original post by Mayhem™
If you attempt to quote something from a book and it isn't exact then the examiner could not only avoid giving you bonus marks, but also penalise you for making something up. These examiners will have read the book several times and know if something was in it or not.

Guessing that's a no then?
Original post by Jamie Vardy
Guessing that's a no then?

yeah it's a no - just thought you might want to know the other stuff in case you decide to wing it with quotes anyway
Original post by Jamie Vardy
Cheers.

Aye Another thread, Don't stress too much for starters.

I know an English Teacher who is a senior examiner and they told me that they don't have to be word for word (exactly).
Think of all the different versions of the books you are studying, they are not all the same right?
You wont be penalized for missing out a word or 2.
Reply 5
Original post by Mayhem™
yeah it's a no - just thought you might want to know the other stuff in case you decide to wing it with quotes anyway

Ah right thanks, I wouldn't go that far though.
Reply 6
Original post by Bulletzone
Aye Another thread, Don't stress too much for starters.

I know an English Teacher who is a senior examiner and they told me that they don't have to be word for word (exactly).
Think of all the different versions of the books you are studying, they are not all the same right?
You wont be penalized for missing out a word or 2.

Cheers mate.
If they have the text online, they can just Ctrl+F to find a quote.
If it's a long quote, I'd just put key words from it in, so you don't muck it up. But for short quotes you can get some words mixed up once or twice and it shouldn't matter too much.
Btw guys i know its late but if you need revision advice i found a channel on YouTube which is quite helpful, search Ryhan Hussain https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg2u5o5dvS5iIu74rRO5x1w
Reply 10
The quotes don't have to be completely exact. The marker will have hundreds of papers to mark and aren't going to read your essay to the extent that they'll notice if you've missed a word or rearranged a sentence slightly. As long as it's very close to perfect you'll be fine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending