The Student Room Group

Omam english literature

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ediehasquestions
i suppose it could be. I wouldn't get too nervous, as long as you stick to timings and that it should be ok.

speaking of timings, any chance you could remind me of what they are??
ohh ok now i understand so we could say something like this could be countered by slim being a devious character underneath him being good ?
Original post by _mk
if asked a question about loneliness or slim being "godlike" it could be possible to speculate...?
I think the exams are getting to you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by _mk
mad plot twist.. i may sound stupid for thinking this..
SLIM KNOWS HOW STRONG LENNIE IS, HE KNOWS LENNIE LIKES SOFT THINGS, SLIM IS LONELY.. SLIM KNOWS CURLEYS WIFE HAS SOFT HAIR,, SLLIM KNOWS LENNIE IS ON HIS OWN.. SLIM TELLS CURLEYS WIFE TO GO IN..SLIM KNOWS LENNIE COULD KILL CURLEYS WIFE.. CURLEYS WIFE LETS LENNIE TOUCH HER HAIR..CURLEYS WIFE DIES...SLIM TELLS GEOGRE TO KILL LENNIE .. SLIM HAS GEORGE ALL FOR HIMSELF (SPECULATION)

I basically wrote something like this during mocks and my teacher said i was going too deep
but then again we aren't told this in the novel about slim seeing lennie anytime alone or things like that
Original post by _mk
if asked a question about loneliness or slim being "godlike" it could be possible to speculate...?
Original post by tatianaxo
how is this supposed to help for the exam

You can use it as an alternative view point, though I'd mention the hints of darkness of Slim's character rather than the conspiracy theory :biggrin:.
Original post by ComedieMusicales
You can use it as an alternative view point, though I'd mention the hints of darkness of Slim's character rather than the conspiracy theory :biggrin:.

thank you

what do you also mean by darkness of slim
I read this earlier.
I also wrote an extract regarding this idea earlier linked to a different character, including Slim..
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4108565&page=2
Original post by tatianaxo
what do you also mean by darkness of slim

This

'Slim neither encouraged nor discouraged him. He just sat back quiet and receptive.' - This bit is followed by George opening up to Slim greatly. So Slim knows how to get information off people with arguably the most persuasive technique: silence. People try to fill silence as it's awkward to just stop a conversation midway and they're more likely to open up.

'"What'd he do in Weed?" Slim asked calmly. "What'd he do in Weed?" Slim asked again.' - Shows persistence. Slim won't stop when a subject intrigues him and will persist until he gets what he wants.

"I wisht somebody ... old an' a crippple." (in reference to Candy's dog) - Insensitivity towards Candy. Slim knows Candy is 'old an' a cripple' and may be planting suicidal thoughts in Candy's mind.

"Me an' you'll go in an' get a drink." - He says this right after the death of Lennie. Perhaps he's capitalising on the moment and trying to get through to George and seal their friendship at George's most vulnerable?

"You hadda George. I swear you hadda. Come on with me." - This quote wouldn't be so bad if he hadn't said 'Come on with me'. He consoles George after Lennie's death and tells George to 'move on' with him. Since George is in a very vulnerable state, he's more susceptible to suggestions.
ohh, thanks
This
I have no idea what to do for the essay (OMAM) someone help please. :P
Reply 32
Original post by evierussell
speaking of timings, any chance you could remind me of what they are??

2 hour paper, (WJEC board)
should spend 20 mins ish on the extract question
40 ish mins on the essay question
and an hour on the unseen poetry
Reply 33
Original post by Bernie2016
I have no idea what to do for the essay (OMAM) someone help please. :P

just learn key themes, quotes and characters

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending