The Student Room Group

Edexcel AS Unit 2 Global Investigations-Friday 20th May 2016

Scroll to see replies

You will get more marks for talking about more than one case study, because my teachers have told us that it shows the examiner you have a very astute geographical knowledge. And even when it asks for one, its always good to back-up your points and link with other case studies, which according to my teachers gets you top marks. I also spoke about more than one case study :smile:
Original post by wearsj012
You will get more marks for talking about more than one case study, because my teachers have told us that it shows the examiner you have a very astute geographical knowledge. And even when it asks for one, its always good to back-up your points and link with other case studies, which according to my teachers gets you top marks. I also spoke about more than one case study :smile:

Yeah I spoke to my teacher who also said that you should talk about more than one and give examples for top marks but people are saying that the question said an extreme weather event rather than extreme weather events so I'm worried that talking about more than one type would have lost me marks
Original post by Ilovepugs
Yeah I spoke to my teacher who also said that you should talk about more than one and give examples for top marks but people are saying that the question said an extreme weather event rather than extreme weather events so I'm worried that talking about more than one type would have lost me marks

It wouldn't have lost you marks. You just may not gain as many.
It is what Edexcel calls 'rubric' errors. Depending on your examiner, you may receive some marks for discussing more than one extreme weather event.
EXTREME WEATHER:

We had predicted LAST minute that it would be results and conclusions and were hoping it wouldn't be; it had been methods for so long! Sadly it came up! Devil's question. The rest of the paper i though was pretty nice actually!
The rebranding questions were pretty much a gift! :biggrin:
Reply 204
For the management extreme weather question, I wrote about more than 2 strategies and provided 2 case studies, completely read the question wrong, is that all 10 marks lost? :frown:
I done the same thing! I wrote about levees being able to prevent flooding from rivers and from storm surges and then said how they are not always entirely successful and gave the example of hurricane Katrina, however I also talked about drought. Do you know if you was supposed to talk about one type or could you have talked about more than one?

I'm not sure - the question isn't specific and not particularly well worded about this so hopefully the exam board will realise to put in the mark scheme that people can talk about strategies for different weather events, or your examiner will be kind anyway. It might specify in the mark scheme that it has to only be one type of extreme weather event though, which would be gutting and stupid considering the question not making it clear.

Rooting for you!
Original post by Barbeller
I'm not sure - the question isn't specific and not particularly well worded about this so hopefully the exam board will realise to put in the mark scheme that people can talk about strategies for different weather events, or your examiner will be kind anyway. It might specify in the mark scheme that it has to only be one type of extreme weather event though, which would be gutting and stupid considering the question not making it clear.

Rooting for you!

Thankyou! And I know,I definitely didn't read 'an' in the question nor did it say one type of weather event so I just assumed it was general
Original post by JMEisjames
I'm pretty sure it said extreme weather events, i did one for flooding and drought so im in the same position

Original post by hol288
For the extreme weather management question did you have to write about 2 strategies for the same event?

I wrote about GM crops for drought and land use management for hurricanes! Really worried I've done it completely wrong now! #I'm an idiot

I asked my teacher before the exam and he said that if it says 'extreme weather events' in general it is better to talk about more than one weather event rather than one so I talked about a method for drought and then one for flooding. I'm sure it will be fine, well I hope so anyway!

It said extreme weather events

Bumped into my geog teacher in Tesco and he said questions like that depend on the explanation of the strategies, not about how many weather events you discussed. They care more about the plural "impacts" and "strategies" so write about 2+ those "then you're golden" I quote- especially as the question was pretty ambiguous.

I only spoke about drought so kmn if hes wrong
Original post by ImagineCats
Bumped into my geog teacher in Tesco and he said questions like that depend on the explanation of the strategies, not about how many weather events you discussed. They care more about the plural "impacts" and "strategies" so write about 2+ those "then you're golden" I quote- especially as the question was pretty ambiguous.

I only spoke about drought so kmn if hes wrong

I wouldn't have the ambition to ask about the paper whilst in Tesco!
:biggrin::biggrin:
Reply 209
Hi what were the rebranding and coasts questions. Thanks
Reply 210
Hi what were the rebranding and coasts questions. Thanks
Original post by Raizelcadres
Hey guys I remember all of the questions for crowded coasts and rebranding places. If anyone wants them just reply.
2a. Using figure 2, explain how physical factors can make areas more vulnerable to flooding
2b. Describe the results and conclusions of your fieldwork and research into the success of coastal management
2c. Cant remember
4a. Using figure 4, suggest reasons for the trends in income in Stratford during the Olympics
4b. Describe the fieldwork and research you undertook to investigate the success of urban rebranding
4c. For a named urban area, explain the need for rebranding

I think it's along these lines, apart from the other 10-marker on Coasts
Messed up 15 marker and got 0 by misreading one word.. Anyone know if you can retake?
Original post by Azim101
Messed up 15 marker and got 0 by misreading one word.. Anyone know if you can retake?

My teacher said that you are able ro retake but as it's the last year of the old specification you will have to do the work outside of lesson as the lessons won't be the same. However there's always the option to resit so don't worry and I doubt you've done as bad as you think
62 A
57 B
52 C
47 D
42 E

predictions
Original post by kavanfallows
2a. Using figure 2, explain how physical factors can make areas more vulnerable to flooding
2b. Describe the results and conclusions of your fieldwork and research into the success of coastal management
2c. Cant remember
4a. Using figure 4, suggest reasons for the trends in income in Stratford during the Olympics
4b. Describe the fieldwork and research you undertook to investigate the success of urban rebranding
4c. For a named urban area, explain the need for rebranding

I think it's along these lines, apart from the other 10-marker on Coasts

2c was about stakeholders and the conflicts between them...
Original post by panda98
2c was about stakeholders and the conflicts between them...

Not for extreme weather it wasn't
Original post by Azim101
62 A
57 B
52 C
47 D
42 E

predictions

WHAT?! For Geographical Investigations?

Last Year:
47 A
44 B