The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society XVIII

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sabertooth
I actually live in the US so I can just call a different psychiatrist myself if I want to change. I'm really considering it after my last appointment and the "snacking hypothesis". Found another one in my town but will give this one one more chance because I hate having to see new people. But yeah, I googled the drug and weight gain and I had an immense number of hits so I know it's not just me.

I have a pint glass on my desk and sip it regularly and refill it with water quite a few times during the day. I also rather like green tea (no sugar) so drink a fair bit of that along with the water - this has helped me avoid snacking as I just drink tea instead to fill my stomach. Happy to hear I'm not hugely overeating.

Thank you for the advice. :smile: I don't recall seeing you around here recently, how are you?

And btw, I just spoilered the calorie counts in your post - someone pointed out the other day that things like that can be triggering for people with EDs. Just telling you incase you weren't aware; we try to make MHSS a safe place. :smile:

Oh sorry I didn't know about that! I'll be more careful about posting calorie intakes and such in the future!

I'm doing okay. Currently on a gap year but not really doing anything at the minute so a bit bored. Didn't really used to be a prolific poster on TSR so that might be why you haven't seen me around haha.
Original post by Midnightmemories

Spoiler

Spoiler

Original post by markreed
Oh sorry I didn't know about that! I'll be more careful about posting calorie intakes and such in the future!

I'm doing okay. Currently on a gap year but not really doing anything at the minute so a bit bored. Didn't really used to be a prolific poster on TSR so that might be why you haven't seen me around haha.

No worries. I wasn't aware it could be triggering until someone told me. :tongue:

I'm glad to hear you're doing ok. Have you thought about learning a language/instrument/something else during your gap year if you're bored? I bought a pretty cheap guitar and a book on how to play, along with online resources and it really kept me busy when I spent 2 years doing **** all. :biggrin: Local libraries sometimes have resources like Rosetta Stone for language learning so it doesn't even need to be expensive. I dunno, just an idea :dontknow:
Original post by Deyesy
Hey. I've received your PM and I have read it. The only member of the PSV who is free to do things for around another week and I've been trying to catch up on some of the replies. I'll give it my proper attention tomorrow and get back to you? :redface:

No worries at all :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sabertooth
No worries. I wasn't aware it could be triggering until someone told me. :tongue:

I'm glad to hear you're doing ok. Have you thought about learning a language/instrument/something else during your gap year if you're bored? I bought a pretty cheap guitar and a book on how to play, along with online resources and it really kept me busy when I spent 2 years doing **** all. :biggrin: Local libraries sometimes have resources like Rosetta Stone for language learning so it doesn't even need to be expensive. I dunno, just an idea :dontknow:

I've been thinking about learning Swedish (I'm pretty committed to eventually doing my masters in Sweden). I would love to play an instrument, but I feel like I don't have a musical bone in my body haha. These are decent suggestions and I do have like 3 and a bit months before uni starts.
Kind of struggling, have mentoring tomorrow, well technically today. Don't really want to go as I always feel like I'm wasting her time/making her pissed off with me. So drained. ED thoughts are really bad lately, so are the voices. Finding it hard to deal with everything. Should probably see my GP soon too. She probably won't do anything as per usual because all she sees is the fact I'm still able to do my degree. :sigh:
Reply 526
So my mum and step dad come down friday evening :woo:
But in that time i have an entire flat to pack up and tidy still
Really rubbish at packing.

Feeling so numb to life rn like, i dont care whats gonna happen to me, i just want to sleep forever :s-smilie:

Last week at work this week and im so sad about it, but on the other hand so relieved because iv had enough crap at work the past few weeks.

Though i was working friday evening and was given a bunch of flowers and a card from a you g person appologising for his truly awful behaviour the other week. So that was kinda nice i guess.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I hate how nervous I get before making a phone call to anyone other than my family or friends. Been tossing and turning all night over it and then when I did sleep, I even dreamt about it :frown: all that worry over an one minute phone call:erm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Spock's Socks
I hate how nervous I get before making a phone call to anyone other than my family or friends. Been tossing and turning all night over it and then when I did sleep, I even dreamt about it :frown: all that worry over an one minute phone call:erm:

Posted from TSR Mobile

What phone call do you have to make?
Had to call up the council to get another bin emptying schedule sent out since I lost the first one they sent. All done now thankfully
Original post by Little Popcorns
What phone call do you have to make?
I really like reading these posts because it makes me feel like I'm not alone. Everyone out there seems so honest about their problems. I don't think I could be so open and honest about my problems. I really think the British are more open and honest about their problems than us Americans. It seems like Americans spend their entire lives running away from and denying their problems and issues. LOL I have to go take a drug test in about 60 minutes and even though I know I'm going to pass I still feel extremely nervous about it. It's strange to know that there aren't any abuse of drugs in my system but I'm still nervous. I'm sick and I have to go to the doctors all of the time. I actually spend a lot of time thinking about what I'm going to say and how I'm going to say it. I'm so afraid of being judged by them. I'm scared they're going to write things down about me in my file. All of you are much stronger than you think you are because I don't think us Americans could be sitting around and having these kinds of discussions about mental health issues with strangers on TSR. People should never be afraid to ask for help.
(edited 7 years ago)
Attempted college today. It didn't go well. Luckily she let me come home early. :hide:
You know my main contamination fears are drugs, toxins and chemicals. I do have a slight contamination fear of germs bit compared to the rest, it's very minor but it does flare up every so often whereas the rest are constant.

Me and Callan were leaving the flat and he loves bugs and all things creepy crawlies and he saw a dead wasp and he picked it up to have a look at it and I saw it and instantly the typical thoughts of "omg Callan's touching a wasp and it could be covered in its venom and then he could touch me and then it goes on me. I don't know if I'm allergic. What if I die?! What if I get ill?! What could I do to get rid of it if he does touch me?!" and it went around in circles and when we got out of the block he took my hand like he always does and boom, I broke down. I took a full blown panic attack and told him he had contaminated me and at first he couldn't understand where I was coming from because it was dead but he later realised that what can trigger OCD isn't always obvious to someone who doesn't suffer from it.

I haven't washed my hand where he touched but I feel like its burning and my anxiety is going through the roof and I can't stop shaking and welling up. I know its just OCD and I will be fine but its horrible. I feel like my entire day out has been ruined now and I'll constantly be on guard and wary of him touching me until he washes his hands or something.

OCD is an absolute nightmare and I'm aware how silly it all sounds and that only makes it worse because I can't switch it off. One day I'll have control of OCD, but it's not this day :frown:
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Spock's Socks
You know my main contamination fears are drugs, toxins and chemicals. I do have a slight contamination fear of germs bit compared to the rest, it's very minor but it does flare up every so often whereas the rest are constant.

Me and Callan were leaving the flat and he loves bugs and all things creepy crawlies and he saw a dead wasp and he picked it up to have a look at it and I saw it and instantly the typical thoughts of "omg Callan's touching a wasp and it could be covered in its venom and then he could touch me and then it goes on me. I don't know if I'm allergic. What if I die?! What if I get ill?! What could I do to get rid of it if he does touch me?!" and it went around in circles and when we got out of the block he took my hand like he always does and boom, I broke down. I took a full blown panic attack and told him he had contaminated me and at first he couldn't understand where I was coming from because it was dead but he later realised that what can trigger OCD isn't always obvious to someone who doesn't suffer from it.

I haven't washed my hand where he touched but I feel like its burning and my anxiety is going through the roof and I can't stop shaking and welling up. I know its just OCD and I will be fine but its horrible. I feel like my entire day out has been ruined now and I'll constantly be on guard and wary of him touching me until he washes his hands or something.

OCD is an absolute nightmare and I'm aware how silly it all sounds and that only makes it worse because I can't switch it off. One day I'll have control of OCD, but it's not this day :frown:
Posted from TSR Mobile

Glad you manage to make the call.

I completely understand how you feel and have similar issues. If you get a good cbt therapist they will help you with these things otherwise I'm sure there are some decent books or guided stuff online for it but I don't think it really matches having a good therapist support you through it all. Make sure you write stuff down you've struggled with over the week so you can discuss these things with your therapist at the next session. Hopefully they're on the same form they were the last session you had with them.
anyone had experiences with venlafaxine/effexor?

Been on 225mg since september 2015. First four months I adored it, and then it seemed to just stop being effective. I've been carrying on with it anyway because of intense time in university and not feeling up to discussing with doctor and talking about changing / dealing with adjustment.

I've just moved back from the US to the UK and had an awful time travelling and a lot of bad luck with flights n timing and stuff and then when I got home I slept for just over 21 hours straight and so basically I've missed four days.

I'm having the worst withdrawal of my life and IDK if i should just head in to see my doctor at home and try expalin everything and try something new or start taking venlafaxine again? anyone got any suggestions?
I'm in the psychiatric ward right now but I just want to go home :frown:

I'm allowed to self discharge but I don't know how I'll get home. It's miles outside London :s-smilie:
Original post by usycool1

I'm allowed to self discharge but I don't know how I'll get home. It's miles outside London :s-smilie:

Hey man,

I just wanted to send you a :hugs: and I wish you all the best with whatever you're going through. If you ever need to talk to someone about anything, you know where to find me!

Ethan
I'm such a ****ing failure.
Original post by usycool1

Sorry I've been meaning to message you for weeks and keep not getting round to it :frown: going out now but will be about later/any other time if can do anything, hope you're okay :s-smilie:
Original post by unsurewhattodo
anyone had experiences with venlafaxine/effexor?

Been on 225mg since september 2015. First four months I adored it, and then it seemed to just stop being effective. I've been carrying on with it anyway because of intense time in university and not feeling up to discussing with doctor and talking about changing / dealing with adjustment.

I've just moved back from the US to the UK and had an awful time travelling and a lot of bad luck with flights n timing and stuff and then when I got home I slept for just over 21 hours straight and so basically I've missed four days.

I'm having the worst withdrawal of my life and IDK if i should just head in to see my doctor at home and try expalin everything and try something new or start taking venlafaxine again? anyone got any suggestions?

Hey, I'm on 225mg venlafaxine too and have been since the beginning of March. I really do not get on with it, I've noticed no positive effects so far. The side effects have been awful for me too, awful night sweats, insomnia and shakes! Really want to change meds to be honest. Don't really know what to suggest really but I hope you sort it soon - I'd ask the doctor what is best to do to be honest!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest