The Student Room Group

I'm an atheist AMA

Scroll to see replies

Why not an agnostic, like me for example? How can you be so sure that God doesn't exist?
Did you grow up in a religious household?
Original post by Mayhem™
Why not an agnostic, like me for example? How can you be so sure that God doesn't exist?

Because it's silly to believe in things without evidence don't you think?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by GwynLordOfCinder
Did you grow up in a religious household?

Nope, did you? + are you religious?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by davidguettafan
Nope, did you? + are you religious?

My parents are, but I was never really forced to believe anything that I didn't come to my own conclusions of.
I'm not religious
Reply 6
agnosticism makes more sense than atheism. as you said its silly to believe in things without evidence. so why believe that god definitely doesn't exist?
Reply 7
Does the prospect of there being nothing after death scare you?

I missed you David

A popular breakfast in America is sweet pancakes with blueberries and maple syrup, and bacon and scrambled eggs, all in one.

What are your thoughts on this, and how would you analytically compare its popularity to the Twilight saga in terms of its artistic connections to contemporary Portuguese architecture?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by XMaramena
A popular breakfast in America is sweet pancakes with blueberries and maple syrup, and bacon and scrambled eggs, all in one.

What are your thoughts on this, and how would you analytically compare its popularity to the Twilight saga in terms of its artistic connections to contemporary Portuguese architecture?

What

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Nayzar
agnosticism makes more sense than atheism. as you said its silly to believe in things without evidence. so why believe that god definitely doesn't exist?

But why would you believe something if there is no evidence for it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am an atheist and i understand that there is a small chance that god exists. However, it doesn't mean that the chances are 50/50. Natural selection provides a clear alternative to ID which has more evidence (fossil record showing small changes leading to modern day life). The Big Bang provides an alternative to creationism with more evidence (cosmic microwave background radiation). There is a more rational explanation with more evidence for almost all hypothesises that the bible presents. Therefore the nalance of probability lies with atheism as there is little evidence for any predictions that come from the bible. Fruthermore if creationism, ID and other predictions from the bible can be countered, it is unlikely that other predictions, like god, are true. This is why I am an atheist
Reply 13
But why would you believe something if there is no evidence for it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

agnosticism isn't belief in God, agnosticism is not sticking with either side. you are right in asking "why would you believe something if there is no evidence for it?". Your question can be asked in two ways:

"why would you believe there is a God if there is no evidence to show it?"
"why would you believe there is no God if there is no evidence to prove it?"

To PROVE there is no God, you would have to DISPROVE the existence of God. I'm not arguing for religion, I'm arguing for scientific methods.

The common American breakfast of pancakes, blueberries, maple syrup, bacon and scrambled eggs: how would you compare it to the Twilight Saga, from an architectural point of view, specifically, contemporary architecture found in, or originating from, Portugal?

Not sure how else to put it, it's a fairly straight forward question, and you did say "Ask Me Anything". So there you go. I asked, now you answer.

:smile:
Original post by Nayzar
agnosticism isn't belief in God, agnosticism is not sticking with either side. you are right in asking "why would you believe something if there is no evidence for it?". Your question can be asked in two ways:

"why would you believe there is a God if there is no evidence to show it?"
"why would you believe there is no God if there is no evidence to prove it?"

To PROVE there is no God, you would have to DISPROVE the existence of God. I'm not arguing for religion, I'm arguing for scientific methods.

I already proved there was no God.

I hosted a pub crawl for gods. Nobody showed up. Religion = Solved.
Reply 16
I'm not atheist

Spoiler

Because it's silly to believe in things without evidence don't you think?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, but there is no evidence that God doesn't exist either?

However unlikely the existence of a God may be, Agnosticism is the way to go
Reply 18
Original post by popcornjpg
Yes, but there is no evidence that God doesn't exist either?

However unlikely the existence of a God may be, Agnosticism is the way to go

That depends. What does agnosticism mean to you? How would you define it?
Original post by ilalith
That depends. What does agnosticism mean to you? How would you define it?

I would define it as a belief in facts and evidence. There is no evidence that God exists, but there is also no evidence that God doesn't exist - therefore, why would one believe in either? Agnosticism takes the middle-ground and acknowledges both possibilities.

Atheism is much like faith in that, people declare something to not exist, even though there is no proof for it, so it's clearly inferior.

Quick Reply

Latest