The Student Room Group

Who should pay on the first date?

Scroll to see replies

I would offer to pay to be a gentleman :redface:, but I'd be more than happy to split the bill :smile:
As men, we must always foot the bill.
Lol I'm paying for my own bill thanks.
Hate being reliant on someone, taking unnecessary favours :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ahhh the classic "whoever initiated the date should pay". The statement made by 99% of faux feminists who know that most of the time the guy initiates and actually want him to pay for them, but would rather not say so.
I always pay but I expect the girl to at least offer to pay. Because it tells me a bit about what she's like financially and how willing she is to part with her money. But if she did offer I wouldn't let her pay #gentleman
I'd pay on the first date, unless she's really insistent on splitting, or I feel it went really bad and I'd hate to pay for her. But as long as she offers to pay half is nice to see, or else I feel used :lol:

The dates after that, I'd prefer to split the bill or take turns paying for the dates.
Original post by leinad2012
Ahhh the classic "whoever initiated the date should pay". The statement made by 99% of faux feminists who know that most of the time the guy initiates and actually want him to pay for them, but would rather not say so.

looooool.

it's a no-win scenario isn't it? ****ing bitches think they're smart.

hilarious.
Who knew paying for a meal would be so complicated?

Why do people care who pays for the bill? I feel anyone that takes a strong position on this issue is probably not ready for the demands and compromises of a relationship. If you have a problem with either paying £30 for a meal or with not paying £30 for a meal, then you've got more serious problems.

One thing I will say for the traditional position is that at we knew what the **** was going on. At least you knew whether you were paying for the meal or not.

Now the issue clearly such a minefield.

Would you like a moral minefield with your side of salad, Sir? Certainly the **** not.

SS
Reply 28
Le bump
Reply 29
Whoever asked (although that obviously results with it being the guy more often than not) so in reality split.
as a guy i'll say the guy
but thats more down to the fact i'll run a bill up of about a grand on a date if not more
It's a toughie. If you pay for it - you like a walkover. If you split you look like a cheap skate.
Reply 32
Original post by Diego Costa
It's a toughie. If you pay for it - you like a walkover. If you split you look like a cheap skate.

What would Diego Costa do?
Original post by UWS
What would Diego Costa do?

Diego Costa would reluctantly pay the £30 or so for a Nando's. If she thinks you're a cheap skate, I guess there isn't much of a chance of a second date. I guess you can gradually convince the girl you aren't a pushover.
Reply 34
The bloke
Am I the only girl that hates having people pay for my meals and stuff? Especially seeing as they'd gone through all the trouble to spend that time with me.
Original post by 999tigger
The person who invites or asks out on a date as the other person is your guest. If the other person wants to go Dutch, then respect their wishes.

Precisely.
Original post by UWS
Would be good to get a discussion going.

I think there is some sort of expectation for the guy to pay on the first date, but what do you think?

I would split the bill on the first date but that's just me.

Original post by cherryred90s
Call me old fashioned idc. Unless there was some kind of agreement beforehand, the guy should always pay on the first date.

Original post by Serine Soul
Lol just split the bill.

LMAO pfft

The person who asks should pay!
Original post by Profesh
Precisely.

@999tigger exactly lads, thank you.
Original post by Blue_Mason
As men, we must always foot the bill.

How do you manage to spew dogmatic platitudes with such unerring consistency? Not that I'm complaining; it makes you far easier to ignore when I can be categorically certain that nothing you say will ever amount to even a modicum of genuine insight.

Quick Reply

Latest