The Student Room Group

In what way is the EU undemocratic?

People keep saying this, but I really don't understand why. Nobody seems to know how the EU is undemocratic, they just know that it is. They don't even seem to have any idea how the EU works.

Could someone please explain?

Scroll to see replies

The European Commission is not accountable to the European electorate, it is made up of 28 commissioners who have been appointed by heads of state but has the authority to formulate legislation. It is fundamentally undemocratic for any political body to excersise even a degree of law making power if it can't be directly elected or removed in an election by the public.

The European parliament is the only directly elected body in the EU, yet the only one that can't actually formulate policy. It is a purely legislative, scrutiny chamber.

The European Court of Justice holds presedence over national courts. The ECJ can bypass and dissapply sovereign legislative decisions that have been formulated in national parliaments. (See the factortame case as a good example)

This one doesn't apply to Britain specifically, but the European Central Bank excerises a significant amount of monetary policy. It held Greece hostage with the IMF and effectively forced an elected government (Syriza) to back down on its mandate and manifesto.
Original post by Redmonds
The European Commission is not accountable to the European electorate, it is made up of 28 commissioners who have been appointed by heads of state but has the authority to formulate legislation. It is fundamentally undemocratic for any political body to excersise even a degree of law making power if it can't be directly elected or removed in an election by the public.

In what way is the UK Civil Service accountable to the British public? In what way are those parts of the UK Civil Service which support the Scottish Welsh and NI governments accountable to the public or even the governments of those places?

If you suggest the Civil Service doesn't exercise law making power, tell me what is the Conservatives' position on the Air Navigation (Restriction of Flying) (Bath) (Emergency) Regulations 2016.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2016/580/pdfs/uksi_20160580_en.pdf

To what extent does Labour disagree? Does Nicola Sturgeon have a view?

In reality a minister was told to sign on the dotted line.

The European Court of Justice holds presedence over national courts.

But national Parliaments have agreed to give it that power and in depriving it of that power, you are trying to frustrate the will of national politicians.

The ECJ can bypass and dissapply sovereign legislative decisions that have been formulated in national parliaments. (See the factortame case as a good example)

But most national Constitutional Courts also have that power, although ours doesn't.

This one doesn't apply to Britain specifically, but the European Central Bank excerises a significant amount of monetary policy.

But our Central Bank is set up to take decisions independent of Parliament or government.
Original post by nulli tertius
In what way is the UK Civil Service accountable to the British public? In what way are those parts of the UK Civil Service which support the Scottish Welsh and NI governments accountable to the public or even the governments of those places?

If you suggest the Civil Service doesn't exercise law making power, tell me what is the Conservatives' position on the Air Navigation (Restriction of Flying) (Bath) (Emergency) Regulations 2016.

But national Parliaments have agreed to give it that power and in depriving it of that power, you are trying to frustrate the will of national politicians.

But most national Constitutional Courts also have that power, although ours doesn't.

But our Central Bank is set up to take decisions independent of Parliament or government.

You know that it is disingenuous to say that the Commission is the equivalent of the Civil Service and know that it is the equivalent of the government. As for that SI, likely answers are "The minister believes that it is an appropriate action at this time", Labour broadly agree, and Sturgeon has no real view because it has nothing to do with Scotland.
Original post by JordanL_
People keep saying this, but I really don't understand why. Nobody seems to know how the EU is undemocratic, they just know that it is. They don't even seem to have any idea how the EU works.

Could someone please explain?

The UK has the 2nd highest population per MEP figure in the European Parliament of 875,289, whereas the average figure member state is 673,370 (source). Our voting power calculates to just under 10%. It will depend on your definition of 'democracy' to judge if this qualifies as democratic. To many people it is not.

This disparity of power is greater when you consider that each member state elects 1 minister in Council of Ministers. This means that smaller countries like Luxembourg (population of 563,000) has the same power as the UK in the council.

This diagram illustrates the decision structure in the EU (source):

Most legislations are now made by qualified majority voting (QMV) in the EU.

Under the Lisbon Treaty the following policy areas previously requiring unanimity by the Nice Treaty are now broadly decided by QMV.

(source)

The following areas require unanimity (in theory member states can veto - but often with political implications):

taxation;

the finances of the Union (own resources, the multiannual financial framework);

harmonisation in the field of social security and social protection;

certain provisions in the field of justice and home affairs (the European prosecutor, family law, operational police cooperation, etc.);

the flexibility clause (352 TFEU) allowing the Union to act to achieve one of its objectives in the absence of a specific legal basis in the treaties;

the common foreign and security policy, with the exception of certain clearly defined cases;

the common security and defence policy, with the exception of the establishment of permanent structured cooperation;

citizenship (the granting of new rights to European citizens, anti-discrimination measures);

certain institutional issues (the electoral system and composition of the Parliament, certain appointments, the composition of the Committee of the Regions and the European Economic and Social Committee, the seats of the institutions, the language regime, the revision of the treaties, including the bridging clauses, etc.).

OP: Given the wide policy areas the EU governs over us, I would expect a fairer representation in deciding those policies nor do I see them as irreplaceable should we decide to leave the EU and have our own legislations.

The fundamental principle of Democracy is that every person's vote should be the same and wield the same amount of power.

One could say that the UK's first-pass-the-post system also fails to bring the same voting power to each citizen, but one key point to consider is that the the variation in constituency population size is on a much smaller scale, and the election is 100% influenced by the needs and interests of British people. We have no reason to magnify our representation deficit by a factor of hundreds by exposing ourself to a flawed external system, of which we have only 10% power to reform.

We do not need a multi-state parliament when there is no need for it, and exists merely for ideological reason.
(edited 7 years ago)
Jordan, as I have just asked you in another topic, please outline for us why you think the EU is democratic. My gut instinct is you will ignore the above posts, which is quite funny given your rather condescending tones of assuming people don't know what they talk about (but you do!?) and as you referenced in another thread, people making their minds up from a "Daily Mail post or Facebook post".
I never had an option to vote for Juncker as the president the European Parliament. That decision was taken out of my hands and made for me by a self-serving group of elite few.

I didn't vote for Cameron either, but at least I had the option to vote for who was in charge. Yeah, the vote didn't go my way. But at least I was offered an opinion.

We don't get that option in the EU. All our decisions on leadership are taken out of the regular person's hands and left in the hands of the elite which isn't a fair or democractic system.
Original post by Jammy Duel
You know that it is disingenuous to say that the Commission is the equivalent of the Civil Service and know that it is the equivalent of the government.

The Commission clearly has more power than the UK civil service. I'm not sure it has more power than some EU civil services e.g. the French. I'm not sure the Commission can be regarded as the government since the creation of Tusk's office.

However, Redmond's point is:-

It is fundamentally undemocratic for any political body to excersise even a degree of law making power if it can't be directly elected or removed in an election by the public.

and if that is the test then clearly the UK civil service fails it.
Original post by TaipeiGhost
I never had an option to vote for Juncker as the president the European Parliament. That decision was taken out of my hands and made for me by a self-serving group of elite few.

I didn't vote for Cameron either, but at least I had the option to vote for who was in charge. Yeah, the vote didn't go my way. But at least I was offered an opinion.

We don't get that option in the EU. All our decisions on leadership are taken out of the regular person's hands and left in the hands of the elite which isn't a fair or democractic system.

Do you live in Witney, because if you don't you had no more opportunity to choose Cameron than to choose Juncker. Juncker is President of the Commission (Schulz is President of the European Parliament) because he commanded the support of a qualified majority of 28 Prime Ministers and a majority of the European Parliament. Cameron is Prime Minister because he commands the support of a majority of Conservative MPs and Conservative MPs comprise a majority of all MPs.
Do you live in Witney, because if you don't you had no more opportunity to choose Cameron than to choose Juncker. Juncker is President of the Commission (Schulz is President of the European Parliament) because he commanded the support of a qualified majority of 28 Prime Ministers and a majority of the European Parliament. Cameron is Prime Minister because he commands the support of a majority of Conservative MPs and Conservative MPs comprise a majority of all MPs.

How do you justify the representation deficit I mentioned on post #5?
Original post by CherishFreedom
How do you justify the representation deficit I mentioned on post #5?

The variation in the size of constituency at Westminster by electorate is far greater from 21,769 in the Western Isles to 108,804 in the Isle of Wight, Excluding islands, it still ranges from 40,492 in Arfon to 91,987 in Ilford south. The reason is that democracy represents communities as well as headcount Likewise each state in the USA regardless of size elects 2 senators.

I have never been fully convinced by direct election to the European Parliament. Neither the Parliamentary bodies of NATO nor the Council of Europe have direct election. MPs of the members states are seconded, which used to happen with the EU.

An EU Parliament of some kind is necessary as a forum for petitioning. The EU Commission only listens to Pan-European representational groups which means that without the Parliament, the views of anyone who cannot command a majority of their EU representational group would not be heard e.g. Swedish whisky makers or English wine makers

Comparing the UK Civil Service to the Commission isn't accurate, the Commission is the executive organ of the EU. Also, yes, the Bank of England does excersise monetary policy, of course it does... It is the Bank of England. Are you going to say that the European Parliament is the same as Westminster because Westminster also legislates policy?? This is about the transfer of sovereignty to higher law making bodies, we are talking about supranationalism. Supranationalism can't exist within the borders of a nation state, so your reasoning is flawed.
(edited 7 years ago)
The variation in the size of constituency at Westminster by electorate is far greater from 21,769 in the Western Isles to 108,804 in the Isle of Wight, Excluding islands, it still ranges from 40,492 in Arfon to 91,987 in Ilford south. The reason is that democracy represents communities as well as headcount Likewise each state in the USA regardless of size elects 2 senators.

I have never been fully convinced by direct election to the European Parliament. Neither the Parliamentary bodies of NATO nor the Council of Europe have direct election. MPs of the members states are seconded, which used to happen with the EU.

An EU Parliament of some kind is necessary as a forum for petitioning. The EU Commission only listens to Pan-European representational groups which means that without the Parliament, the views of anyone who cannot command a majority of their EU representational group would not be heard e.g. Swedish whisky makers or English wine makers

But if you look at the variance in the statistic, you will see that the population variance in UK constituencies is much lower than the variance in EU states. Don't you think the European Parliament needs reform to make the spread closer towards the average point?
(edited 7 years ago)
But if you look at the variance in the statistic, you will see that the population variance in UK constituencies are much lower than the variance in EU states.

That is a complaint about a relatively meaningless statistic. No-one lives in a town called Average.
That is a complaint about a relatively meaningless statistic. No-one lives in a town called Average.

How is this meaningless? The distribution of voting power is possibly the most important thing in the EU's parliamentary system. The variance is absolutely necessary in assessing the distribution.
Reply 15
Original post by Redmonds

The European parliament is the only directly elected body in the EU, yet the only one that can't actually formulate policy. It is a purely legislative, scrutiny chamber.

The European Court of Justice holds presedence over national courts. The ECJ can bypass and dissapply sovereign legislative decisions that have been formulated in national parliaments. (See the factortame case as a good example)

This one doesn't apply to Britain specifically, but the European Central Bank excerises a significant amount of monetary policy. It held Greece hostage with the IMF and effectively forced an elected government (Syriza) to back down on its mandate and manifesto.

So the guys each country votes for, appoint people.

OMG

Stop the presses.

That is so undemocratic.

You do realize some heads of state are not voted for directly either, right? You do know that ministers are appointed, as well? You do realize that the ECB is an independent body, in theory the BoE could do the exact same.
Reply 16
The UK has the 2nd highest population per MEP figure in the European Parliament of 875,289, whereas the average figure member state is 673,370 (source). Our voting power calculates to just under 10%. It will depend on your definition of 'democracy' to judge if this qualifies as democratic. To many people it is not.

Coming from a first past the post system, where many people's votes are essentially completely ignored, a slightly different per capita voting power between countries is undemocratic?

The irony is killing me.

Or are you trying to say that the EU is undemocratic because Britain only get's a 10% vote and if they had a >50% vote people would be happy?

I don't think you, or most people with your viewpoint, even know what "democratic" means.
Original post by inhuman
Coming from a first past the post system, where many people's votes are essentially completely ignored, a slightly different per capita voting power between countries is undemocratic?

The irony is killing me.

Or are you trying to say that the EU is undemocratic because Britain only get's a 10% vote and if they had a >50% vote people would be happy?

I don't think you, or most people with your viewpoint, even know what "democratic" means.

'Given the wide policy areas the EU governs over us, I would expect a fairer representation in deciding those policies nor do I see them as irreplaceable should we decide to leave the EU and have our own legislations.

The fundamental principle of Democracy is that every person's vote should be the same and wield the same amount of power.

One could say that the UK's first-pass-the-post system also fails to bring the same voting power to each citizen, but one key point to consider is that the the variation in constituency population size is on a much smaller scale, and the election is 100% influenced by the needs and interests of British people. We have no reason to magnify our representation deficit by a factor of hundreds by exposing ourself to a flawed external system, of which we have only 10% power to reform.

We do not need a multi-state parliament when there is no need for it, and exists merely for ideological reason.'

The complaint, as I stated is the representation deficit, I am not asking for an over-representation but just a fair one.

The correct mentality is not 'our system isn't perfect, so let's include ourselves into an even more flawed system'. The correct logic is to exit ourselves from the external system and then improve our local system.

Comparing for argument's sake does not solve the problem, nor does it justify or fix the unfair structure of the EU parliamentary system.

Also as I stated, if you look at the variance in the statistic, you will see that the population variance of voting power in UK constituencies is much lower than the variance in EU states. So the comparison does not swing towards your argument too.

Don't you think the European Parliament needs reform to make the spread closer towards the average point?
Reply 18
'Given the wide policy areas the EU governs over us, I would expect a fairer representation in deciding those policies nor do I see them as irreplaceable should we decide to leave the EU and have our own legislations.

We do not need a multi-state parliament when there is no need for it, and exists merely for ideological reason.'

The complaint, as I stated is the representation deficit, I am not asking for an over-representation but just a fair one.

The correct mentality is not 'our system isn't perfect, so let's include ourselves into an even more flawed system'. The correct logic is to exit ourselves from the external system and then improve our local system.

Comparing for argument's sake does not solve the problem, nor does it justify or fix the unfair structure of the EU parliamentary system.

Also as I stated, if you look at the variance in the statistic, you will see that the population variance of voting power in UK constituencies is much lower than the variance in EU states. So the comparison does not swing towards your argument too.

Don't you think the European Parliament needs reform to make the spread closer towards the average point?

Stop lying you little whiner.

Stop saying the EU is undemocratic when in reality all that is going on is a) You don't want to be part of Europe and b) You don't think Britain has enough power in the Europe.

This whole "oooh the EU is so undemocratic" whining is just subterfuge.

ps you don't even understand first past the post. It matters jack **** that constituencies are smaller. In every single one of them there are losers, and everyone who voted for that loser will have his or her vote made useless. That adds up to a far bigger discrepancy than the fact that some EU countries have a lower or higher MEP per capita number.
Reply 19
Excellently argued Cherish. Solid sourcing and sound reason. Quite amusing to watch you reduce inhuman to incoherent ranting.

Honestly, if you're still voting to remain, do you really want to be ascociated with people like inhuman?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending