The Student Room Group

Edexcel PE GCSE

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Brendan99
Could you work out what a B or A in marks out of the 80 would be considering I got 45/50 in my (60% practical)

Again this depends on what the final grade boundaries are. If you look them up, you'll notice that last summer for an A grade in the practical you needed 45/50 raw marks (which converts to 96/120 UMS - i.e. 80% = A). For the year before you needed 44/50 for an A so 45 would have got you a slightly higher UMS score that year.

Assuming this year's boundaries end up being the same as last year for the practical, 45/50 gets you 96/120 UMS.

To get a B grade overall you need 70% of the total UMS available which is 140/200 = 70% = B.

You've got 96 already (assuming grade boundaries are the same as last year) so to get 140 you need 44 more UMS which is a D grade in the exam (last year to get 44/80 UMS you also needed 44/80 raw marks in the exam).

To get an A grade overall you need 80% of the total UMS available which is 160/200 = 80% = A.

You've got 96 already (assuming grade boundaries are the same as last year) so to get 160 you need 64 more UMS which is an A grade in the exam (last year to get 64/80 UMS you needed 56/80 raw marks in the exam).
Original post by theaceman
Again this depends on what the final grade boundaries are. If you look them up, you'll notice that last summer for an A grade in the practical you needed 45/50 raw marks (which converts to 96/120 UMS - i.e. 80% = A). For the year before you needed 44/50 for an A so 45 would have got you a slightly higher UMS score that year.

Assuming this year's boundaries end up being the same as last year for the practical, 45/50 gets you 96/120 UMS.

To get a B grade overall you need 70% of the total UMS available which is 140/200 = 70% = B.

You've got 96 already (assuming grade boundaries are the same as last year) so to get 140 you need 44 more UMS which is a D grade in the exam (last year to get 44/80 UMS you also needed 44/80 raw marks in the exam).

To get an A grade overall you need 80% of the total UMS available which is 160/200 = 80% = A.

You've got 96 already (assuming grade boundaries are the same as last year) so to get 160 you need 64 more UMS which is an A grade in the exam (last year to get 64/80 UMS you needed 56/80 raw marks in the exam).

Thanks I just worked it out and found that 56/80 would be an A and 44/80 would be a B based on last year :smile:
reaction time for the 800m runner? I put reacting to stimulus of another runner starting sprint finish and change pace accordingly, thought most of the exam was B.S apart from the 6 markers. Poor on edexcels part
You did the same as me then, just in more detail :biggrin: ermmmm going from a C to an A will be difficult considering the theory only makes up 40%

If you get full marks on the practical, you are already on a C meaning you can get a C without even sitting the actual exam!
You did the same as me then, just in more detail :biggrin: ermmmm going from a C to an A will be difficult considering the theory only makes up 40%

What did you get for your practical...? full marks cause then you only needed 40 for an A

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 45
For the 10000 one I said he'd run for 1000m then jog for 500m and repeat this for 10000m

Posted from TSR Mobile
If I had 48/50 in my practical then what would I have had to get in the exam to get an a* overall?
Original post by d123faye
If I had 48/50 in my practical then what would I have had to get in the exam to get an a* overall?

I would say 62... based on my marks I had to get

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by _chloeematt

Posted from TSR Mobile
thank you!
Reply 49
For the interval question i think i got it wrong-It said how interval training is used and i said for a 10000m runner the training is low in intensity and will last longer

for sprinter i said. he would have a higher intensity in training and will last for a smaller duration

I think its wrong? what was the answer
Reply 50
What did u guys say when it said how do they focus on priority groups
Original post by d123faye

You need to look at the grade boundaries when they are published here (https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/Support/Grade-boundaries/GCSE/1506-GCSE-Grade-Boundaries.pdf) in August. Until then nobody knows how many marks you'll need, only the amount of UMS you need. The number of marks you need to get that UMS is only decided when the grade boundaries have been set after all papers have been marked.

If we go on last year's boundaries (which are likely to change this year as the questions have changed and so may be easier or more difficult than last year), a practical mark of 48/50 would have got you 114/120 UMS (it may or may not get you this amount of UMS this year depending on whether the practical unit grade boundaries are the same or not). Assuming it does get you 114/120 UMS, then you need 160/200 UMS overall to get your A. This would require 46/80 UMS from the exam. Last year to get 46/80 UMS you needed 46/80 marks in the exam - you may or may not need that amount of marks in the exam to get 46/80 UMS this year.
Original post by _chloeematt

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nowhere near 62 - it's likely to be a lot lower (46/80 last year).
Nowhere near 62 - it's likely to be a lot lower (46/80 last year).

Me to get an A would be around 52marks right in the exam.
I got 45 out of 50 in practical.
Can u tell me what i would of needed with last years grade boundary?
Thanks
Original post by Helpmepickone
Me to get an A would be around 52marks right in the exam.
I got 45 out of 50 in practical.
Can u tell me what i would of needed with last years grade boundary?
Thanks

Last year 45/50 raw marks in practical earned you 96/120 UMS - i.e. 80% = A as 45 was the A grade boundary.

Assuming 45/50 is the A grade boundary for the practical this year, 45/50 gets you 96/120 UMS.

You've got 96 already (assuming grade boundaries are the same as last year for the practical unit) so to get 160 you need 64 more UMS which is an A grade in the exam (last year to get 64/80 UMS you needed 56/80 raw marks in the exam).
Last year 45/50 raw marks in practical earned you 96/120 UMS - i.e. 80% = A as 45 was the A grade boundary.

Assuming 45/50 is the A grade boundary for the practical this year, 45/50 gets you 96/120 UMS.

You've got 96 already (assuming grade boundaries are the same as last year for the practical unit) so to get 160 you need 64 more UMS which is an A grade in the exam (last year to get 64/80 UMS you needed 56/80 raw marks in the exam).

Do practical grades often change?

If they do there are usually only very minor changes as the reason grade boundaries change is to reflect changes in the difficulty of the assessment which is judged by distribution of marks given to students. For example, 44/50 was an A for practical in summer 2014 and this went up to 45 in summer 2015. The other grades have hardly changed if you look back at previous years' grade boundaries.

Grade boundaries for the exam however change by quite a lot as the questions can be a lot more challenging one year than the next.

I got 102/200 for my practical and my teachers have predicted that I need around 53 for an A, I don't think the practical grades change, it's mainly dependent on the theory

Actually looking back, the June 2013 practical grade boundaries were a lot lower (you needed 45/50 for an A* which got you 108/120 UMS and 42/50 for an A which got you 96/120 UMS).

Jump forward to June 2014 and you needed 44/50 for an A and 47/50 for an A*).

And last year you needed 45/50 for an A and 47/50 for an A*.

So they won't go any higher this year!
(edited 7 years ago)
I needed 60 for an overall A* because of the UMS marks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest