The Student Room Group

is it okay for a boy to use self defence during a conflict with a girl?

Scroll to see replies

of course it is! it shouldn't be a sexist problem - so long as the defence is proportionate then it should be ok
Of course it's okay! A friend of mine once told me (regarding using self defence on women) "If you're man enough to hit, you're man enough to get hit". As long as you throw your first punch after theirs ("A gentleman never starts a fight, but he knows how to end one!") then it's self defence. Don't hit them beforehand, or else you technically started it, and that could be used against you to get you in trouble with Child Protection or even having it classed as assault and being brought to court.
Original post by Red498cp
Of course it's okay! A friend of mine once told me (regarding using self defence on women) "If you're man enough to hit, you're man enough to get hit". As long as you throw your first punch after theirs ("A gentleman never starts a fight, but he knows how to end one!":wink: then it's self defence. Don't hit them beforehand, or else you technically started it, and that could be used against you to get you in trouble with Child Protection or even having it classed as assault and being brought to court.

I'm a gentleman.
Its not really about gender, its about relative stregth. If a man who was half that mans size and strength had been up in his face, i think hitting him would have had the same reaction as hitting the girl.
If a gel is taller and heavier than you and she's gobbing off, anything goes with sluts like that.
In my opinion I think the man was right for defending himself as the girl was attacking him.

I think the people on the bus had no right to judge, as they did not say anything when the girls were bullying and attacking him before.

It is ok to defend yourself if someone is being violent towards you. Especially if you are a man but I think it is unacceptable if you hit a girl after they hit you because that isn't self defence but retaliation.
I'm big enough that if I were to hit a woman, I don't think she'd really get up again, so I dislike the idea of just punching her. I'd probably pick her up and place her on the naughty step where she can think about what a bad girl she's been.
whatever infliction she has done on me I will do it back harder.
If you are physically protecting yourself or someone else from harm then I'd say its ok but if it's not absolutely necessary I wouldnt because like it or not men are generally stronger than women and are much more likely to seriously hurt them.
Original post by Abstract_Prism
There is a distinction between self-defence and retaliation.

You're allowed to use force to protect yourself, but not because they did it first and you want to get back at them. If they're not going to hit you again, you can't hit them just because they did it to you.

I'm not just spouting BS btw; this is the law.

And how do you know youre not going to be hit a second time?

In this instance, the man has seen an escalation of violence, from name calling to intimidation to physical assault. It is not unreasonable to presume especially considering elevated stress levels that a second attack could be forthcoming.
yes
equal rights - equal fights.
if women aren't responsible enough to take what they dish out, then they are basically not qualified to be adults to the same extent as men. it would be as if to say that women are like children, because we, for similar reasons, don't fight kids when they harm us. if women want to be children, then its bedtime for their right to vote :lol:

I mean, if a small man can get his ass kicked by a bigger man without anybody raising an eyebrow, why can't a woman get her ass kicked by a man?
I grew up with an older sister, so I guess I've lived the experience in terms of understanding that "I'm a girl" ain't going to cut it when you throw the first punch in 2016, just as much as "I'm younger" doesn't. if you start the fight then expect the other person to get in their bonus for you being the one with the balls to begin it
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by silverbolt
And how do you know youre not going to be hit a second time?

In this instance, the man has seen an escalation of violence, from name calling to intimidation to physical assault. It is not unreasonable to presume especially considering elevated stress levels that a second attack could be forthcoming.

Ha!

You can't just say 'I thought they were gonna hit me again'! and get away with hitting someone!

If they're not making any indication that they will hit you again (no threatening behavior), you can't hit them. You can't just go off the chance that they might hit you again. You can use self-defence in the moment they are attacking you, but you can't use it otherwise. That becomes retaliation, and that is not legal.

This is the law. I'm not saying that this is right and this is how it should be, so don't argue with me about morals and ethics. I am telling you that this is what the law is.

This is all a little difficult without the OP providing the video in question anyway.
tldr but... for everyone practicing self defence the rule of weather it was proportionate or not should be the defining this of whether it's 'okay' or not, not what sex/gender they are... if someone taps you on the arm and it pisses you off it is not proportionate self defence to floor them in a rage. Also bare in mind what the parties are capable of on the basis of their size, strength and any objects they might have on them.
Course.
Original post by Abstract_Prism
Ha!

You can't just say 'I thought they were gonna hit me again'! and get away with hitting someone!

If they're not making any indication that they will hit you again (no threatening behavior), you can't hit them. You can't just go off the chance that they might hit you again. You can use self-defence in the moment they are attacking you, but you can't use it otherwise. That becomes retaliation, and that is not legal.

This is the law. I'm not saying that this is right and this is how it should be, so don't argue with me about morals and ethics. I am telling you that this is what the law is.

This is all a little difficult without the OP providing the video in question anyway.

Yes you can - the law takes much into account into deciding if there was a further threat, including the persons emotional state.

Hitting back is self defense and human nature. but i concur, the video would be useful
im a girl and well it depend if the girl think shes bad enough to through a punch she deserves to get a punch back i get into fights with boys and i have been hit by a boy. big deal
Not only in self defence, if a girl is being unladylike, course and disrespectful that would definitely warrant a beating.
If she is posing a serious physical threat to you, then yes, you have the right to defend yourself. Obviously using reasonable force though, if you hit too hard you could end up doing more damage than you intended since women are generally smaller than men.
If she won't let him get away and won't stop, then I think it's okay to use reasonable means to stop her from carrying on. I'd have thought an average-sized guy would be able to restrain an average-sized girl without having to hit out.*
Of course it is. People who say otherwise are completely stupid. I don't care what gender you are, if you attack me and I haven't done anything to provoke you then of course I'll use self defence. If I just attacked a guy because I felt like it (I wouldn't, by the way) then I'd fully expect him to use self defence.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending