The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by 0to100
Do you know what's made it go up though, like a quick list help me out mate

Greed.
Original post by K2G
Greed.

Lmao obviously bro but I meant like a legislative...bureaucratic change...
Original post by 0to100
Well I see the benefits of it not being free but I see the benefits as well of it being free. Your issue however just seems to be snobbery.

No. She's saying, if you an't afford uni you will probably get an underpaying job or be chronically unemployed...and living on JSA...which leads to poverty...

But who can't afford university at the moment? You don't pay anything up front, huge loans/hardship funds are available for the poorest of students and a part time job is always possible, no matter how many contact hours/assignments you get it's possible.

Define underpaying job? There is minimum wage. People that don't have degrees aren't necessarily doomed...?
Original post by SirMilkSheikh
The self-entitlement runs deep here. Not only that but it is common for self-entitled people to suffer from delusions of grandeur. Many people cannot afford to pay for many things. Now are you willing to give 25% of your income to daddy government so that I can afford to go to the shooting range, take a few courses and purchase a shotgun license and a sawd-off shotgun? I thought not.

A piece of paper granted to you by an institution that doesn't care about you, labelled 'degree' does not necessarily mean you are bettering yourself. A degree can be a burden - 3 or 4 years of (often pointless) study, huge debt and, a lot of the time nothing to show for it.

You want to escape poverty? A good start would be not to get yourself into £50,000 worth of debt. But alas, most 18 year old children won't bother heeding such a warning.

Not going to uni is limiting at best. A person who went to uni still has the same opportunities as the person who didn't. The same can't be said for the opposite.
Original post by cambio wechsel
Something true of the "education as a right" brigade is that their commitment to this principle typically runs out at precisely the point they no longer see specifically themselves as net beneficiaries of the state's acting on it.

People intending to do bachelor's degrees consider that the state (i.e. my postman and my dear old nan) should fund these, but they reveal themselves as less keen on the idea of their having to chip-in to pay for my Master's in Etruscan Pottery and my doctoral study of Roman Fireplaces. Education then stops being 'a right' when what's meant is that someone else's will be subsidized out of your starter wage at PWC, and few enough can persuasively explain the seeming inconsistency.

I don't want to pay for your degree. I suspect your time at university will be measured largely in 'pre-drinks' and social media posturing. You won't attend your 9am lectures and you'll faff about on Whatsapp on the rare occasions you turn up at others. I think you're essentially an idiot and your motivation for continuing your 'studies' is only outcome oriented and the function of a grasping self-interest. If throwing-in more through my taxes I'd sooner it be for improved elementary education, better wages for teachers at all levels, and continuing-education programmes.

Great post!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hezzlington
But who can't afford university at the moment? You don't pay anything up front, huge loans/hardship funds are available for the poorest of students and a part time job is always possible, no matter how many contact hours/assignments you get it's possible.

Define underpaying job? There is minimum wage. People that don't have degrees aren't necessarily doomed...?

No I agree with your last statement that sometimes it works out at face value, if "working out" simply means not being homeless and starving and in massive debt. Underpaying job, well I don't have the list here under my fingers but jobs that qualify for like working tax credit depending on situation. Ah come on uni is expensive, people get loans but it might not be enough whether it's budgeting or the actual amount for living expenses, commuting, supplies, other expenses like bank account maintenance, I mean I dunno **** adds up and everyone's situation is different but of course you've come across ppl who say they might have to leave or can't even go in the 1st place because of costs.

A lot of people can't afford uni. Their student finance is limited because their parents earn over the threshold and refuse to support them. If accomodation costs 3.6k and their loan is 3.2k, they'll struggle, especially since I haven't even factored in the cost of food and travel.

A part time job is not always possible. Some people do vocational degrees that require a lot of placement hours, not to mention essays and exams to prepare for. Sometimes, its just not feasible to throw a job into the mix.

Hardship funds are income assessed so they would be of no help to someone from a high income family with parents who refuse to help.
(edited 7 years ago)
@cambio wechsel I think uni should only be for continuing education lol everyone else should simply be allowed to work with job training and promotions overtime :u:
Original post by cherryred90s
A lot of people can't afford uni. Their student finance is limited because their parents earn over the threshold and refuse to support them. If accomodation costs 3.6k and their loan is 3.2k, they'll struggle, especially since I haven't even factored in the cost of food and travel

Yes baby. lol just what I said to him.
(Also I still think if you ask someone on a date you should pay :wink:)
Original post by 0to100
Yes baby. lol just what I said to him.
(Also I still think if you ask someone on a date you should pay :wink:)

Lol fair enough :u:

Even though I said that, it should never be an expectation. The girl should always bring enough to pay for herself anyway. After all, he doesn't have to pay..
Original post by 0to100
No I agree with your last statement that sometimes it works out at face value, if "working out" simply means not being homeless and starving and in massive debt. Underpaying job, well I don't have the list here under my fingers but jobs that qualify for like working tax credit depending on situation. Ah come on uni is expensive, people get loans but it might not be enough whether it's budgeting or the actual amount for living expenses, commuting, supplies, other expenses like bank account maintenance, I mean I dunno **** adds up and everyone's situation is different but of course you've come across ppl who say they might have to leave or can't even go in the 1st place because of costs.

A lot of people can't afford uni. Their student finance is limited because their parents earn over the threshold and refuse to support them. If accomodation costs 3.6k and their loan is 3.2k, they'll struggle, especially since I haven't even factored in the cost of food and travel.

A part time job is not always possible. Some people do vocational degrees that require a lot of placement hours, not to mention essays and exams to prepare for. Sometimes, its just not feasible to throw a job into the mix.

Hardship funds are income assessed so they would be of no help to someone from a high income family with parents who refuse to help.

Yep, I admit there is a problem with the student loan system. But it's not the poorest of students that suffer, it's usually those somewhere in the middle.

However, It's NOT because of tuition fees.

There are work arounds like a part time job, I know medics that have them so it's not impossible. Nobody is forcing you to go to university immediately after A levels. If it's expensive, defer a year and save up and then go. There is nothing worse than meeting a student who arrives at university and then a few months down the track is like "damn, I really can't afford this...".

There are workarounds, sometimes.
(edited 7 years ago)
Lol fair enough :u:

Even though I said that, it should never be an expectation. The girl should always bring enough to pay for herself anyway. After all, he doesn't have to pay..

No he doesn't lol I agree you shouldn't walk around with no money anyway lol
Yep, I admit there is a problem with the student loan system. But it's not the poorest of students that suffer, it's usually those somewhere in the middle.

There are work arounds like a part time job, I know medics that have them so it's not impossible. Nobody is forcing you to go to university immediately after A levels. If it's expensive, defer a year and save up and then go. There is nothing worse than meeting a student who arrives at university and then a few months down the track is like "damn, I really can't afford this...".

Yesssssss poor students get prioritised a bit more. On my own I'm on struggle street but with my mum at least she made like a millimeter over the line and desperately needed help , got nowt. Piss take. And some people are forcing you to go! I was forced! Paid out my pocket, now I'm skint. I agree though gap years are ideal if you tell your folks to stfu and wait till you're ready. However I took a gap yr and barely worked lol And yea it's a shame if you can't afford, I think ppl seriously underestimate and trivialise the economic issues of a student and i dunno why.

Yeah I agree with that. Don't go to uni if you know you will struggle. I was just answering you when you said 'who can't afford to go to uni'

There are workarounds sometimes, not all the time. The prospect of having a part time job shouldn't really be relied on
Reply 94
I agree with this post to a certain extent... I mean if you're going to uni and doing a worthwhile degree fair enough you should be able to get finance... But there is some people that will do pointless degrees like catering and hospitality for example... You don't need a degree to say you can wash a surface with some anti-bacterial spray...

If I'm honest doubt student finance will even be around for much longer!
Yeah I agree with that. Don't go to uni if you know you will struggle. I was just answering you when you said 'who can't afford to go to uni'

There are workarounds sometimes, not all the time. The prospect of having a part time job shouldn't really be relied on

And unfortunately a lot of people do. They want their degree and they want it now!

Of course I'm very grateful for how the system currently is. I got huge support from the university and if I was to of followed my own proposed system, I'd be working for at least 3 years full time before being able to afford going to university.
Original post by NHM
I agree with this post to a certain extent... I mean if you're going to uni and doing a worthwhile degree fair enough you should be able to get finance... But there is some people that will do pointless degrees like catering and hospitality for example... You don't need a degree to say you can wash a surface with some anti-bacterial spray...

If I'm honest doubt student finance will even be around for much longer!

I don't do that degree but what you said was very ignorant. You have more opportunity than washing a surface..wasn't even remotely funny. People on TSR are so judgemental
And unfortunately a lot of people do. They want their degree and they want it now!

Of course I'm very grateful for how the system currently is. I got huge support from the university and if I was to of followed my own proposed system, I'd be working for at least 3 years full time before being able to afford going to university.

Yep I'm grateful too. I get the maximum and I get a generous grant from my uni. I do feel sorry for the people who can barely make ends meet. Why should they have to postpone uni because of their parents finances? It's not 100% fair but I can't think of a fairer way to do it without costing the state millions more
Reply 98
I don't do that degree but what you said was very ignorant. You have more opportunity than washing a surface..wasn't even remotely funny. People on TSR are so judgemental

I didn't mean for it to come across that way :frown:
Yep I'm grateful too. I get the maximum and I get a generous grant from my uni. I do feel sorry for the people who can barely make ends meet. Why should they have to postpone uni because of their parents finances? It's not 100% fair but I can't think of a fairer way to do it without costing the state millions more

I also think working before university has it's own set of problems, too.

It's difficult, eh.

Latest

Trending

Trending